Need some additional storage? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2018, 08:45 PM   #1

Name: Karla
Trailer: Boler
CO
Need some additional storage?

We have a 79 Boler 13’ does anyone have idea for extra storage? Thinking of leaving the fiberglass community because of the space issues but very hesitant to give up my light weight Boler! I looked into puttin a box on the back bumper last year but I heard it wasn’t a good idea. Any thoughts?
Buddahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:42 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Do you have room for a tongue box. I removed the propane tank from our Uhaul because we don't cook inside and installed a ABS plastic box. When we used that trailer for 3 months in the Southeast, towing with a Honda CRV, I used one of those Sears clamshell carriers on the Honda roof. We leave the bed made up in the rear of the Uhaul so I found a couple wire baskets at Home Depot and mounted them on drawer slides and they set under the bed. Same idea in our Casita, but previous owner had a plastic Christmas tree storage bin that has wheels on one end under the bed. It was too long so I shortened it and made a new end of plywood and put a handle on it. Easy to roll it in and out, and with rubber feet on the end it stays in place while traveling.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:25 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahue View Post
We have a 79 Boler 13’ does anyone have idea for extra storage? Thinking of leaving the fiberglass community because of the space issues but very hesitant to give up my light weight Boler! I looked into puttin a box on the back bumper last year but I heard it wasn’t a good idea. Any thoughts?
Hi Karla, have to ask, what are you using for a tug and what kind of extra things do you want to store? If your tug isn't on the edge of tow ratings, a rear box may be an answer with proper TT loading as many do. The tug also is used by most for storage and "must haves". After downsizing from C's & A's I found that 75-80% of what I carried were never used and not missed now.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:00 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I agree with Dave... find out what your need and what you do not need and the load "of NEEDS, in my went down about 25%.
Depending on the season we camped the load will be different for inside the camper and I would say big items such as E-Z up, gas grill, Generator if we are going off grid, gas, lounge chairs, extra LP bottle, LP camp stove and lantern, will all go in TUG.
But inevitably the bottom of the closet in the Boler will still hold 2 coffee pots and arm loads of plastic "left over" containers...Got to cook less or eat more.
We do not utilize storage under the table/bed as we leave the bed up 100% of the time.
So bottom line is just don't take as much.
I was an avid back packer and could go a week on about 40 lbs of gear and food. Why do I need 2 coffee pots is beyond me but take one out and the wife goes nuts.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:29 AM   #5

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
we have a 13f scamper we have pared down what we take to the minimum. we don't spend much time in the camper either and don't cook but we have one propane tank our toungue weight 100lb.

after tent camping all over the world we have learned to be minilmists in camping. keep paring down you will get there!

good luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #6

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Storage

We installed a hitch receiver on rear of our 17' Casita and use a carrier with a deck storage box strapped to it. We also have a shelf over the peropane tanks with a Honda 2000 and fuel tank on it. A box could be fitted to the shelf insead of the Honda. Weight on the rear of a trailer doesn't affect the tongue weight pound for pound but a ratio of something considerably less than 1 to 1.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 We toured by motorcycle for years. It taught us to pack light, extremely light. It also made doing laundry once a week part of any trip. You can usually find laundry at campgrounds, or nearby, never had a problem with this method.

On storage, its one reason a marginal TV is so limiting. With extra TV capacity, the TV can supply storage space. Putting weight on the back or front of a small trailer can really do a number on tongue weight.

Find something on your trip you can't live without? Mail it home.

Pretty much all the molded FG trailers have limited storage, some worse than others. Our 17 foot Casita had less than half the storage that our 19 foot Escape (probably more like 1/3rd). Much of the lower "storage" on the Casita was not storage at all, but instead contained batteries, fresh water tank, water pump, furnace, and electrical panel.

And a lot of stuff we carry can be bought along the way: food in particular, but other stuff too.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
HI!

Good ideas! Going through everything carefully and being ready to thin out is important. We're going on our longest trip ever May-June and are taking extras of some things due to the length of the trip, so we are looking for new places to tuck things.

Under the back bed is where the big dog nest goes We have room under there for something else...perhaps a narrow, long bin. Good idea, thanks!

We've discovered space atop both wheel wells. The area above our 2-liter jugs of water (below where the oven used to be) is open...perhaps a half-shelf could be tucked there, maybe a wire rack?

Also I'll make another wall pocket for our front closet above the porta-potty and laundry bin. This one will have bigger pockets for larger items. It being right up front helps the weight distribution a little.

Good topic, very interested...

And...we will comb through everything before we leave. Camping is more enjoyable if we take ONLY what we need and nothing extra.

BEST
Kai
Old 02-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #9

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Storage

Years ago I asked a seasoned biker who had experience pulling many bike campers , “which camper would you recommend “ ? He said the Kwik Kamp . I replied “why when others have much more storage “ ? He said “ the more storage you have , the more sh— you ‘ ll carry “ . He was right !
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #10

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
trailer storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Ron View Post
We installed a hitch receiver on rear of our 17' Casita and use a carrier with a deck storage box strapped to it. We also have a shelf over the peropane tanks with a Honda 2000 and fuel tank on it. A box could be fitted to the shelf insead of the Honda. Weight on the rear of a trailer doesn't affect the tongue weight pound for pound but a ratio of something considerably less than 1 to 1.
You are adding a lot of weight to the trailer. It would be interesting to know whether or not your gross trailer weight is within the axle/tire weight limits.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #11

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Jimp: that's a really good point. Maybe we should think harder about cramming every nook with stuff and just buying more along the way. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #12

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
How about a custom made box or boxes UNDER the trailer? I have seen 5" square hollow white PVC fence posts mounted down there with the matching end caps bungeed in place. That allows you to put longer things away moving space for other things - also the sewer hose goes well in one....
Old 02-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #13

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
my wife the food storer

I have the hardest time convincing my wife as we boonedock at walmarts mostly we will never run out of food.

she is hopeless

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #14

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
I built a new sewer hose container using plastic 5x5" for my new hose, but found there is absolutely no space under my 13 ft Scamp to install the container. Guess will have to figure how to mount it on the tongue or on top of the car rack?
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote