Need some advice, please - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1983 Burro
Missouri
Need some advice, please

Hi, I have a 1983 Burro and I would like to make (or buy) an awning like I see on a lot of campers. There is no keder track or anything to attach it to on the fiberglass. The previous owners put a couple of those stick on hooks that I could hook lights or bunting to, but nothing substantial. I do not want to drill or screw into the fiberglass. Thanks for your feedback, in advance.
Kathy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I believe it is possible to attach a standard awning rail with VHB tape. If you do a Google site search on "awning rail VHB" I bet you'd get an old post or two.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #3

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1983 Burro
Missouri
thank you, Jon

I read a few of those threads you were referring to. I will check out #5952 of the VHB tape. Thanks again
Kathy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:25 PM   #4

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have riveted the awning rails I've installed over the years.
The first one I did was on a 93 Scamp 16 5 years ago.
It's still in the family as I gave it to my son.
It has not come loose or leaked.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:48 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
I use a bag awning from busdepot.com that's made for use on vw bus campers. It is a bit more trouble to set up but works great with no holes required. It attaches to the roof of my casita with three serious suction cups (optional and extra cost). It packs up small and lives in a pvc fence post mounted to the rear bumper (like a lot of folks use for sewer hoses).

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I know of at least one Uhaul owner that has attached an awning rail with VHB tape with good results. I riveted mine and use a bag awning.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
First advice is to use better subject lines. More descriptive subject lines bring more and better responses.

Second is in regards to the VHB tape, of which there are many variations and no doubt knock offs of lower quality.

The 3M VHB web page has a lot of information and data sheets that might help. They also seem to have a chat option and phone number in the brochure where they will offer technical support. I would call them and discuss the intended application. We would like to know what they say if you do.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We use a popup screenhouse propped with one side open that the door opens into. We used it on our previous Burro also.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0552.jpg  
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #9

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
The great thing about Cindy's idea is the pop-up shelter can be moved to various locations around camp if so desired. The bad part is they do take up space while traveling.
I also have an 83 Burro and the pop-up works pretty good.
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
It keeps out a lot of bugs too, but not the darned noseeums!

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #11

Wisconsin
Cindy, if they are noseeums how do you know they are getting in?
Ok I'll be quiet now!
Old 01-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burro Bill View Post
Cindy, if they are noseeums how do you know they are getting in?
Ok I'll be quiet now!
Because in the middle of the night you will wake up and feel like your !egs are on fire. In the morning if you look very closely you might see them at your windows. I think they get bigger after they've eaten. I've only had them get in the trailer twice, once in Maine and once in North Carolina. Two of the worst nights of my life. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:04 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I've only had them get in the trailer twice, once in Maine and once in North Carolina. Two of the worst nights of my life. Raz[/QUOTE]

They got in our Uhaul in Florida. Looked like specks of pepper all over the white fiberglass interior. We set off a bug bomb in the trailer to be sure we got rid of them, after we left that campground. Funny thing, just before they showed up there was a crop duster type plane flying around that had "mosquito control" on the wings.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:58 PM   #14

Wisconsin
I am very familiar with noseeums. My comment was an obviously failed attempt at humor! That's ok my wife doesn't think I'm funny either!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #15

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
The CLAM screen shelters have noseeum-proof fine mesh screening and set up in less than a minute.
Unfortunately, that doesn't do anything for keeping the noseeums out of the trailer itself. 😕

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:13 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
several have pm'd me asking for a photo of my awning. i can't for the life of me figure out how to add photos from my computer to pms so i'll post it here.

again, this is an awning sold for use with volkswagen camper vans available from busdepot.com. there are 2 sizes and the one in the pic is the larger one. it sets up kinda like a tent and yes, it takes longer than rolling out a "real" rv awning but, for around 200 bucks it sure is a lot less expensive. i'm retired and have much more time than money.

p@
Attached Thumbnails
bd awning.jpg  
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote