Need suggestions on heater - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I have slept with a Coleman Black Cat catalytic heater on low. I crack open two windows and a vent to make sure there's enough air.

I've heard plenty of good things about the Buddy heaters, but their O2 sensor will keep it from working in the high mountains (and I do go to the mountains!), so I went with the Cat. It produces considerably less CO than a regular propane heater as long as plenty of O2 is present, so the ventilation is primarily for maintaining a good supply of oxygen.

Oh... Bob, been there and done that with the UHaul heater! The spark gap can be adjusted to account for the lower O2 level in higher elevations.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
I only camp in National Forest and National Park campgrounds - i.e. "no hookups". I have used an Olympian "Wave6" catalytic heater for the last 6 years in my Scamp 16. I have it permanently mounted on the wall just under the closet, and feeds off the propane supply. It heats incredibly well, is quiet as they come, and doesn't use up any electricity from your battery. I just got back from camping at the summit of the Tioga Pass in the Sierras and it was in the 20's every night, but the heater kept the trailer a balmy 65 all night when set on low - yes, I sleep with it on low and am still alive after all these years. Catalytic heaters are safe as any other as long as you are not an idiot about how you use them. I keep two vents open one at each end of the trailer (I crack the door window and then the roof vent). I also have a CO2 detector in the RV. With all the cold-weather camping I do, I cannot imagine being without the Olympian - it makes it so nice at night.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #17
Min

Name: Gord
Trailer: Recently purchased an original 13' Trillium, that still needs a name!
British Columbia
Registry
I am glad to read the information in this thread.

I have one of the small "Buddy" heaters. I have never left it on all night, however, I am definitely thinking about it. I usually leave at least 6 sq. inches of window open anyway. That should be enough??

I have never tried leaving just the pilot on. Often I have used one to the "old fashioned" "home brew" candle heaters. Usually not enough heat generated to stay really warm.

Never have had enough nerve to leave the "Buddy" on all night!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 03:25 AM   #18

Name: Julie
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 and 1985 Scamp 16
Nebraska
Registry
We use our small Mr. Buddy heater with proper ventilation and have never had a problem other than it often gets too hot and we have had to to turn it off! In the morning we just turn it back on and in less than 10 minutes the Scamp is warm again! I love the warm glow it puts off and it is so quiet unlike the electric cube that we use when we have shore power.

Julie
Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #19

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I just ordered the Mr Heater Little Buddy heater from Camping World. It's on sale and free shipping when ordered online. Cost $56.73 which includes tax. The midsize Buddy heater was too much heat in our CT13 Uhaul. Also I'm experimenting with a couple electric heaters I have. The "milk house" heater seems to work the best of what I already own. Bob
Old 10-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I just ordered the Mr Heater Little Buddy heater from Camping World. It's on sale and free shipping when ordered online. Cost $56.73 which includes tax. The midsize Buddy heater was too much heat in our CT13 Uhaul. Also I'm experimenting with a couple electric heaters I have. The "milk house" heater seems to work the best of what I already own. Bob
You may have to rename that the "egg house" heater....
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Mike: I like that answer!! Actually what used to be our milkhouse when my family was farming is now my shop, and now heated with an oil fired furnace. And many years ago we had an incubator for hatching EGGS, so I do have a connection here somewhat. Bob
Old 10-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #22

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I have both a ceramic heater and a big buddy for off grid, I have not used the BB yet but the ceramic easily does the job in my CT-13. I figure the BB will be equal or better with the battery operated fan going.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #23

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Last weekend, we were camping with my inlaws, who were in a large tent. They had brought an oil-filled heater (the kind that looks like a radiator). They mistakenly reserved a non-electric site, so I let them use our Buddy heater and we used their radiator. It worked very well, but took up a lot of room. It had three power settings and a thermostat. I had to play with it a bit, but it kept us nice and warm. It was about 40 degrees at night. They said the iffy kept them warm, but they went through a bottle and a half of propane.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #24

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
We have both the small Mr. Heater Buddy and the Coleman Black Cat Catalytic heater. The Coleman was far superior in the Aliner. It's smaller so was a lot more convenient and the heat felt "softer." Very subjective, but we haven't used the Buddy since we got the Black Cat.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #25

Name: Owen
Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Alberta
Registry
I have a Dometic factory furnace in the dolphin, But I really wish I still had the convection DuoTherm that was in my 74 Trillium. The convection furnace was only rated at 5500 btu, but was more than adequate for the 13' trailer. I had no fan and required no power to operate. The one I have now uses a lot of power, and I dont want to run out of battery in really cold weather. I have used the Mr Heater Big Buddy on construction trailers and found them quite effective. It has a tip sensor and a low O2 sensor, but it still hasn't my 100% trust.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #26

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Hi,
I've got only good things to say about my Convection Duotherm furnace (1977 Trillium 4500). The advantage of the furnace is the fact it is not using the indoor oxygen, because it has an outdoor intake and exhaust. Ventilation is still needed, but much less than with a portable catalytic heater. The minute I opened the top vent a little, our heat was gone, so I kept it shut for both heaters, keeping only two windows slightly open. Our 5500 Duotherm is a bit more powerful than the BlackCat, it is easier to use it is likely much safer for extended use. I suspect it probably consumes twice more propane, but with two 20# tanks, it is not a problem and it does not need any electric fan (perfect for wilderness style of camping we like).

Before I reinstalled it, I used a Coleman Black Cat portable catalytic heater, connected directly on my exterior tank with a T and an extension hose I passed trough the opening for the main electric power connector. I found the 3000 btu power sufficient for cool summer nights with two windows slightly open. I keep the Black Cat as a backup unit for our RV or our tent.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #27

Name: Evan
Trailer: 1983 13' Scamp
Oregon
I just installed an Atwood Hydroflame 8012 forced air furnace in our 13' Scamp and used it over the weekend in ~30F overnight temps and it was awesome. It draws less than 2 amps when running so you can get 4 nights easy on a deep cycle battery. I use this furnace in our VW Westy as well and it works great there too and that has a bunch of canvas to compete with. I did the install myself and it took a few hours (I built some shelving in the cabinet at the same time so it was a bigger project than just the furnace) and the furnace cost $400 online.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #28

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Take heater to higher altitudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ruth, if you're always hooked up to electricity there are pluses for using a smaller heater (you can leave it home in the summer!)

Here's a recent topic on small electric heaters: Small quiet elec space heater?
Donna,
We spent one of the coldest nights in a tent we ever did in the middle of July at Bryce Canyon. In the restaurant the next morning we asked how cold it was and were told it got down to 25!!

We like our SILENT Honeywell oil filled. It has a fold out handle in the front, and we use a hot pad to hold the rearmost fin and the handle if it needs to be moved. Another advantage is that it is not heat on heat off, but heats and cools slowly.
Attached Thumbnails
Honeywell.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote