Need suggestions on heater - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #1

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2014 livin lite
Virginia
Need suggestions on heater

I'm looking for a way to heat my lil snoozy. I am considering a small propane heater. Saw a big buddy heater and a camco wave 3 heater. I want it to be uncomplicated, easy to set up. Any suggestions on portable heaters?? Is an electrical heater safer?? The big buddy heater is cheaper, anyone have one?? like it??

thanks

Old 09-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Ruth, Since your lil Snoozy is propane free, you might as well keep it that way. A lot of folks have good luck with elec. heaters of all different types. I have a little cube ceramic heater that works just fine when I'm plugged in to shore power (which isn't that often) .

Old 09-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #3

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Even though my Scamp 19 has a propane furnace I use a 700/1400 watt ceramic cube heater 95% of the time. Anytime I have elec. available I use the cube heater. It keeps the trailer comfortable even with outside temps. in the teens. It is easy to store and they usually sell for less than $40. My Honda 2Ki generator runs it with no problems but it burns a tank of gas in about 6 hours.
Eddie
Old 09-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #4

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Personally, I would use an electric heater that does not have a fan and does have an over heat and tip over shutoff. Quiet and safe

People do not die from propane gas explosions, carbon monoxide poisoning or running out of oxygen when using an electric heater.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #5

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
I have a portable Buddy heater that I purchased for my former pop-up. I never did use it since the only time we camped in cold enough weather we had 110v and just used the electric cube heater.
Those heaters should work fine with adequate ventilation, per their warning, "When used without adequate combustion and ventilation air, this heater may give off excessive CARBON MONOXIDE, an odorless, poisonous gas" but the warning is scary and I would be afraid to use it overnight unless I had more ventilation than required. I would still consider using it if boondocking to heat the camper up before bedtime, and after waking up, but not during.
My Scamp has a vented propane heater so I can use that now when boondocking, but if you don't have propane connections and won't be boondocking, then a 110v cube heater would probably work best for you. My Scamp also has a heat strip in the air conditioner that I use.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #6

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Ruth, if you're always hooked up to electricity there are pluses for using a smaller heater (you can leave it home in the summer!)

Here's a recent topic on small electric heaters: Small quiet elec space heater?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
If you're going to have shore power or a generator, you're safer with an electric heater. If you don't have the electricity, the Buddy or a catalytic (Wave3 or Coleman Black Cat or similar) will work but be certain to crack some windows/vents open.

If you were to install a 12v socket (like a cigarette lighter), you could use an ElectroWarmth T36 bed warmer. You pin it on the mattress, under the bottom sheet, and the heat radiates upward to your body. I just bought one for my trailer from Backwoods Solar... here's the page link: DC Powered Appliances . I grew up using the 110v version of this product (there's one on my home bed right now too), and they were for the most part very reliable & effective. While this will use less battery power than a 12v electric blanket, it still could drain a battery in just a couple of really cold nights.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Look for the little buddy, I think the big buddy would run you out of the trailer. I have a little buddy and the conversion hose to hook it up to a 20# bottle, I used it in Texas to take the chill out of half my house.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #9

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
I second Greg's comment. We use a little Buddy in our 13' Trillium-just before bed and in the morning and it gets every thing toasty in just a few minutes. Often just making coffee with the stove heats us up in the morning enough we don't need the heater. Will be testing the heater in three weeks at Clear Lake off Santiam Pass-expecting a chill there. Didn't need it at Waldo Lake last week end, two of us and Lucy the Boxer made it warm enough we had to open the windows more. We have a cube heater but rarely camp with hook ups.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #10

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
I use the Buddy Mr Heater (the small one approx 5,000 BTU on low and 9500? BTU on high) Normally on the low setting, has to be in the teens to need the high setting. Instructions says it requires 9 square inches of venilation-- I always leave the top vent cracked about half an inch and with all the air leaks in my old Scamp, that's prob more than enough. Most of the time just leave the pilot on at nite and burrow under the blankets, then reach out in the morning and turn it up...
Old 09-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Just got a Northern Tool catalog today with all kinds of heaters "on sale"?? We have a Mr Heater Buddy that we use in our Eureka Northern Breeze screen house which has roll down flaps and it works good but eats up the small propane tanks fast. Used it in the Uhaul for a few minutes to warm it up quick, then shut it off. Got the trailer furnace to work today, but will buy a new carbon monoxide detector before we camp again [or is it carbon dioxide] Will use a small electric heater when shore power is available. Also have a 12 volt electric blanket that we used in our teardrop a couple times, it has a 45 minute timer, but that broke early on, so it's on all the time. Bob
Old 10-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #12

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2014 livin lite
Virginia
Camping with cube heater

We went camping this weekend in the shenandoah national park. It was cold, brrrrrrr. We had no hookups there, so used our Honda generator for the first time. We were allowed to use it for two hours in the morning, and 3 hours in the evening.(park rules) it sure helped, but it was cold. The temperatures dropped down to 35 both nights, the wind was howling, and it poured Saturday night. It was comfy while the heater ran, and when we were under the down comforter.

I think I need a small portable propane heater also. The cube would be great for places with electric available. But without electric, not so much.

It's amazing, every time we go camping it rains.

It was fun to see a 13 foot scamp across from us. We rarely run into other fiberglass folks

So need advice on the best small propane heater, that's safe????
Old 10-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #13

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Little buddy.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We were camping in the Adirondaks this weekend, also rain & cold. The Uhaul propane heater wouldn't light, so used the Mr heater [portable buddy 4000-9000 btu model] to warm up the trailer. It's supposed to have a low oxygen sensor, but we won't go to sleep with it on and keep a window cracked open all the time anyway. Be careful with a generator, I'm sure you've heard about the 5 people that got killed by exhaust fumes from the generator they had running outside their camper. Bob