Need to Remove Old Reno Wood - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 11:50 PM   #1

Name: Joan
Trailer: Companion
Michigan
Registry
Need to Remove Old Reno Wood

How do you remove wood braces for interior cabinets, etc that a previous renovator fiberglassed to the wall? They are not in the correct places for what I want to do. One was not affixed well and I ripped it off without damaging anything. Others are tighter. I sure don't want to damage the shell.

I've watched 47 videos on how to attach them, 0 on how to remove them
Joan of Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:06 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I think I would try a dremel tool with a cutoff disk to cut though the the fiberglass around the wood, then try to move the wood to see if he glued it as well as fiberglassing it to the wall.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:37 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
A good utility knife might cut the fiberglass cloth. I would cut into the wood strips and stay away from the trailer shell. It could be easily damaged. I would first look at ways to leave the existing wood and maybe adding other additional wood strips. Be careful. You could cause more harm than good. The fiberglass is rather thin.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:14 AM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I think your best tool, easiest to use power tool option for the job is one of the small oscillating saws. They were originally designed for medical use in safely removing the orthopedic plaster cast without cutting into the patients flesh.

The Fein company designed one for use in woodworking and held a patent on it for many years but it expired a few years a back and now there are many such saws on the market place. Dremel has one called the Multi-Max but companies such as Makita, Dewalt, Ridgid, Ryobi and many more also are selling oscillating saws.

You can rent them if you only need it for a short time.

Don't be afraid to use one, it is not a difficult tool to handle. There will be many videos to watch on youtube including ones produced by companies such as Dremel. I would recommend if you do have to cut through fiberglass cloth that you get one of the blades that has grit on the tip of the saw. But if it is just wood you are going through then one of the blades with saw teeth will work just fine. They also sell blades that can do sanding like functions on the larger flat area of the blades with strong grit material. That will help you smooth off any ragged leftover material so that it does not wear into any insulating materials.

Here is a video from Dremel demonstrating the carbide grit tool in the Multi-Max showing its ability to cut through tough materials. Fiberglass is not nealy as tough as most of what they are cutting through. Dust mask and eye protection are obvious safety needs for any sawing, sanding and grinding task

Too bad you don't live nearby or I could lend you this tool.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
An el-cheapo multi-tool like Karin referenced can be purchased at Harbor Freight. A number of members have purchased this tool and used with success. With a coupon, it's even cheaper! Oscillating Multi-Tool

Multi-Tool Blade Set 3 Pc

3-1/2 in. High Speed Steel Multi-Tool Half-Moon Blade
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #6

Michigan
Registry
I have a hobby Dremel so maybe I can just get the right bit/blade. Will look into the options! Thank you all- Utility knife hardly made a dent so it needs power.

Whoa! I want the Multi-Max! Am looking at used ones on ebay right now.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I would agree with previous posts. I have used an oscillating saw to trim wood moldings around door frames to install ceramic floor tiles. It works well. I would cut the wood and leave a little behind to avoid damage to the fiberglass shell. Once you have done this you can pick away at the wood left behind if you need to remove it from the shell.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #8

Michigan
Registry
I just ordered a lightly used Multi-Max 6300 very reasonably. Looked for new locally, but could only find heftier models which I don't think I need or want. I'm not going to use it day after day or cut steel plates. Maybe an occasional bolt. I can get single blades locally, so that is good.

I can't wait till it comes! Probably good I couldn't get the one I wanted here because I would have spent a lot more money just so I could bring it home and play quicker.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #9

Name: Glen
Trailer: Escape
Missouri
Removing wood in tight spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan of Shark View Post
How do you remove wood braces for interior cabinets, etc that a previous renovator fiberglassed to the wall? They are not in the correct places for what I want to do. One was not affixed well and I ripped it off without damaging anything. Others are tighter. I sure don't want to damage the shell.

I've watched 47 videos on how to attach them, 0 on how to remove them
I would suggest a combination of the Dremel cutting disks for the fiberglass followed by a small, very sharp chisel and light weight bullpen hammer to chip away the wood you wish to remove. If you make shallow cuts above and below where you are chiseling ( perhaps a couple of inches apart) you can slowly and safely remove the wood with little risk of damaging the fiberglass behind it.
Two Step is offline   Reply With Quote