Need to replace door window scamp 83 - where and how? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
I have a lot of work to do on this '83 Scamp I just bought on ebay so forgive my posts on this forum (and this is our first trailer) - there will be many! I've got a broken pane on the door window but more crucial, the window doesn't seat correctly anymore into the door. I think it is the window, not the door. So, where to find the square double louvered window?, then how to install? I've searched the archives but don't find anything - can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for any ideas, Karin
KarinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I have a feeling you'd have a hard time replacing that window with another like window - unless you happened to find one in an RV salvage yard. As far as small eggdom, I've seen them on 1983 and 1983 Scamps. They're not as common as the smaller, more horizontal single-pane Hehrs.

I would think you could replace the glass with new. As for the way it sits in the door, I would start by removing it. Best case scenario you can re-seal it when you put it back in (with butyl tape or other appropriate sealer on the back side of the flange). Worst case scenario is you've got issues with the core of the door being waterlogged. That's fixable but is a bigger job (search "Con Boler door repair" for one thread on it). Basically, the doors are two fiberglass skins with varying types of filler between them. The fact of the skins being separated (but bonded) is what gives the door - and its curve - the strength to stay firm. It's kind of like an I-beam that way.

I think once you have the window out you'll know more and can then investigate/decide how to proceed.

Raya

Edited to add: Nearly all new windows have radiused (rounded) corners, so you'd probably need to do a bit of fiberglassing to install them (filling in the square corners). You can avoid that by going larger if you can do that without running into problems with the curve of the door. But I think the older windows are worth trying to repair; especially if you are not replacing them all with radiused windows.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Give Scamp a call and ask for the parts dept.
I have an 81 and they've still had everything I've needed.
800-346-4962

The parts catalog is mostly online now, but the windows section isn't up yet, so you'll need to call.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 1970 Campster
Quote:
Give Scamp a call and ask for the parts dept.
I have an 81 and they've still had everything I've needed.
[b]800-346-4962

The parts catalog is mostly online now, but the windows section isn't up yet, so you'll need to call.
You might also try the Callen Camper store on Ebay. I picked up a couple of dual pane sliders 46x18 for $44.10 each. You never know what they have in stock but they update their store every Thursday afternoon. They've been buying overstock from Kinro window manufacutrers in Fontana, CA since many of the orders from the RV industry had been cancelled and Kinro now is stuck with too many windows and no buyers. I found Tammi at Callen Campers to be very helpful and the price was certainly right! Good luck!

Here's a link to the Callen Camper Store: Callen Camper eBay Store
Lisa H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #5

Thanks for a couple of great sources. These will serve me well.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #6

Thanks for the calm approach. You're right, I need to take it out and go from there, and just hope the door is not waterlogged!

Quote:
I have a feeling you'd have a hard time replacing that window with another like window - unless you happened to find one in an RV salvage yard. As far as small eggdom, I've seen them on 1983 and 1983 Scamps. They're not as common as the smaller, more horizontal single-pane Hehrs.

I would think you could replace the glass with new. As for the way it sits in the door, I would start by removing it. Best case scenario you can re-seal it when you put it back in (with butyl tape or other appropriate sealer on the back side of the flange). Worst case scenario is you've got issues with the core of the door being waterlogged. That's fixable but is a bigger job (search "Con Boler door repair" for one thread on it). Basically, the doors are two fiberglass skins with varying types of filler between them. The fact of the skins being separated (but bonded) is what gives the door - and its curve - the strength to stay firm. It's kind of like an I-beam that way.

I think once you have the window out you'll know more and can then investigate/decide how to proceed.

Raya

Edited to add: Nearly all new windows have radiused (rounded) corners, so you'd probably need to do a bit of fiberglassing to install them (filling in the square corners). You can avoid that by going larger if you can do that without running into problems with the curve of the door. But I think the older windows are worth trying to repair; especially if you are not replacing them all with radiused windows.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Thanks for the calm approach. You're right, I need to take it out and go from there, and just hope the door is not waterlogged!
Karin, I've pulled the window out of my Scamp's door a couple of times (project planning). Although the door wasn't waterlogged, it was evident some moisture had migrated around the raw opening. When the window was out the first time, I used a bunch of clamps and some Gorilla Glue (it's waterproof!) to seal up the raw edges all the way around. My trailer is an oldy, but goody... and the interior of the door has a sorta cardboard insulation between the outer and inner fiberglass shells. That was what I was trying to prevent from getting further moisture intrusion.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #8

Thanks, Donna. Simple fixes are good for me. I won't be so afraid to take it out now (it keeps geting pushed down the list though and the list gets longer and longer . . . )

Quote:
Karin, I've pulled the window out of my Scamp's door a couple of times (project planning). Although the door wasn't waterlogged, it was evident some moisture had migrated around the raw opening. When the window was out the first time, I used a bunch of clamps and some Gorilla Glue (it's waterproof!) to seal up the raw edges all the way around. My trailer is an oldy, but goody... and the interior of the door has a sorta cardboard insulation between the outer and inner fiberglass shells. That was what I was trying to prevent from getting further moisture intrusion.

Tags
scamp