Need to replace floor in our Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Boler (Corneleus)
Unhappy

So the hubby and I are trying to figure out what to do with the very old, dry and somewhat moldy floor we have. The previous owners had just screwed in boards to make it a bit stronger. Our floor is not fibreglassed completely across but is fibreglassed about 1.5 inches from the walls.

How can we effectively replace the floor? We need to do some frame work so we are thinking we can do it when it is off there, but again aren't sure what to do.

Please, help us we are at a stand still with our renovations.

Cheers

Ursula
ursulap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I would refer you to this thread, in which KarinP conquers the rot problem in the floor of her Scamp.

I can't completely visualize what your floor looks like, as the Bolers I've seen (mid to late 70s) all have fiberglass floors (with wooden reinforcement of course). So I don't know if yours is typical of an earlier year, or if it's been changed or "repaired" in the past.

Either way, I bet you'll get some good info from her thread:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...c=34635&hl=

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #3

Thanks Raya, I had seen that posting but maybe I am not asking the right thing.

We have just removed the frame from under the coach (what a job!!!!) and are now wondering how we go about replacing the floor where the bench seat up front is and the dinette area is. the floor it looks like has been replaced before and then just had strips of plywood put on it to reinforce it. It is really shoddy work and the boards are warped and rotting so it needs to get done. I will take some pictures and put them in the blog so you can have a look.

Cheers

Ursula
Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Photos would be great. If I had to guess from the sounds of things so far, I'd say you'll probably end up replacing those front and rear flooring sections altogether. There are usually wooden cleats (like narrow shelves) running around the edge of the shell that the floor rests on at the edges. The general idea would probably be to cut plywood to fit, and then either impregnate it with epoxy resin, or use fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin (depending on how far you want to take it), and then to "tab" the prepared new flooring to the shell as it rests on top of those cleats. To tab is to use narrow strips of fiberglass cloth and resin to "glue" the flooring to the shell.

I know that there are quite a number of people who have made this fix to their Scamps, and there have been good photos detailing the process, so you might find some other threads by searching wherein you could follow along as those people went through their repair.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #5

well, we for sure need to do the floors as the shifting of the egg has separated some spots of the floor from the sides. This occured after taking the frame ou from under it. We have also decided to hold off all coach repairs and replace the frame completely. Including the axle. So if anyone know where to get the angle iron we need here in edmonton for a reasonable price, let us know

Cheers

Ursula

Tags
boler