Needed Info on Traveler Stove in Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #15

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
.........Is this what you used for the edge? Did you order from them or buy local? Trim-Lok's Size Ranged Edge Trim
JC Whitney has this stuff in 20 foot lengths. I just bought some to cover the center seal on my UHaul. Nice to trim out raw fiberglass edges, etc, too.

Fairchild Industries FLEXIBLE INTERIOR/EXTERIOR TRIMS - JCWhitney

Click on "Item Details" to see all sizes and colors

Free shipping through today with GOODBUY promo code.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #16

Name: KJ
Trailer: none
Oregon
Trim loc

Hi Roger,
You got the right company however if you don't need a roll for a coupla hundred dollars try this one

R and P Carriages Trailer Sales > Body Parts, Exterior Cargo, RV > RV and Trailer Trim, Seals

They sell it by the foot. I've bought from them several times and they are fast
service. Keith

Again I think the screw went into some kind of nylon seat. I just can't remember exactly. Age in my case.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #17

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Roger did you ever get to the bottom of this. Both of the side clips are busted on mine and even with the molding on the sides of the stove and the thumbscrew as tight as can be it still doesnt stay put.

I am looking for a replacement stove as we speak, but in the meantime it would be nice to fix what ive got.

Keep me posted. Thanks. . jimbo

Old 09-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Jimbo: can you make up something with those hardware store corner braces, or a short piece of aluminum angle, fasten it to the sides of the stove bottom, use a couple sheet metal screws down through the stove top into the angle to hold it down. Or if you want to get real fancy, drill & tap a hole in the angle, or braze a nut to the angle and use a couple thumb screws.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #19

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob
Jimbo: can you make up something with those hardware store corner braces, or a short piece of aluminum angle, fasten it to the sides of the stove bottom, use a couple sheet metal screws down through the stove top into the angle to hold it down. Or if you want to get real fancy, drill & tap a hole in the angle, or braze a nut to the angle and use a couple thumb screws.
Thx.may have to go that route
Old 09-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Have some parts from the hardware but have not yet taken on the task. Did check for fit of brass screws etc.

Since I already have a hole in both the stove top and the stove bottom I am going to attempt to make a stud out of a brass machine screw that I can put a knurled nut on.

My idea is to cut the head off of the brass machine screw, thread the nut on then JB Weld (metal epoxy) the nut and threaded rod to the hole on each side of the stove base. That will give me a stud coming up through the stove top that the knurled nut can go on.

But the comment about using a bracket and nut brazed/welded together has me thinking.... I could just use a bracket with a hole in it and a nut and lockwasher to make a stud out of my brass machine screw. It almost looks like the holes in the top (possibly where the original catch attached) are wider apart than the stove base. Bracket would deal with that better as the "L" shape can come up and out to line up with the holes.

Would also allow me to have the bracket directly under the hole when I mark it through the stove top for drilling. Less chance of poor alignment with top that way.

Tags
scamp