Needing ideas for bedding down 10-month-old in Casita Spirit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #1

Name: Matt
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Alabama
Needing ideas for bedding down 10-month-old in Casita Spirit

Since my wife and I are considering purchasing a fiberglass camper in the next couple months and the home team is encamped 6 hours down the road for spring training, we decided to rent a Casita Spirit 17' and take some time off next month for our first camping road trip as a "real" family (don't tell the dog she doesn't really count as our child).

We climbed around the display model this morning and have an initial plan of how we'll make everything work... except where the munchkin will bed down. She's 10-months-old and very mobile, and we're looking for advice on how to keep her securely in bed and off the floor when it's time for bed. We had considered putting her pack and play on the side dinette with no cushions but the pack and play is too wide. Has anyone cracked this particular nut? Willing to share?

Thanks in advance!
taranis83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
We found an old screen-sided and zipper-screen-topped baby bed at a garage sale that was significantly more narrow than our pack n play. It was definitely old, but in very good condition. I checked it out careful and it always worked safely and well. It fit tightly in the front closet of our 16' Scamp (i installed a flip-down doorstop to keep the door fully open. I wouldn't have used it, in any fashion, on the side dinette -- too risky for a fall.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you purchase a Scamp 16, layout 4, you could always do something like this: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-24663.html

Rather than make the top a bunkbed, you could use it for storage. Just another idea.

Here's another idea
Attached Thumbnails
LouisBeens.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #4

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
This is from a friend in a bowler.
Attached Thumbnails
boler sleeping.jpg  
Island Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:45 PM   #5

Alabama
Great ideas from each of you. With the front lavatory/shower/closet in this version of the Casita, we are very limited with regards to where the little one will be able to sleep.
Claire, I'm curious where that high-sided bed rail was purchased.

Sent from my XT1080 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 02-07-2015, 10:58 PM   #6

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
She bought it second hand, but suggested Wall mart or Toys R Us.
Island Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #7

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Darn! Can't seem to find the post, but there was a couple who built a shelf over the foot of their Scamp? bed for their little one to have his own bed but still be near mom & dad.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Casita. Carpeted walls. A Velcro suit. Stick 'em anywhere. Sorry, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #9
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Raz,
It's been done
Sid
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #10

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
I'm considering one of these. I have to check it out in person so can make sure it won't tip off the bottom bunk.
KidCo PeaPod Plus - Kiwi - Kidco - Babies"R"Us

Less expensive version,
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index....fProd=20428366
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #11

Name: Marion
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you purchase a Scamp 16, layout 4, you could always do something like this: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-24663.html

Rather than make the top a bunkbed, you could use it for storage. Just another idea.

Here's another idea
love love love the white black and red
is this one of yours Donna?
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #12

Alabama
WildBirder, my wife actually bought a PeaPod and it arrived this week. I'm considering strapping its base frame down around the tabletop on the dinette-turned-single-bed.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:25 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
love love love the white black and red
is this one of yours Donna?
No Marion, it's not mine. This is Louis Been's modified trailer for his family.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:18 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Have you thought about putting the little one in back of the big bed (in or out of a "Pea Pod") with one adult, and the other adult on the side bed? I don't know exactly how big those things are, but it seems like you could put it in the back corner on the "feet" end and there ought to be plenty of room for one person to sleep diagonally. She couldn't knock it over and the "duty" parent wouldn't have to get out of bed for middle-of-the-night emergencies. Since this is a new experience for your daughter, she might feel more secure with a parent close enough to hear and smell and be more likely to sleep through the night.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
We now have a 13' with front couch. That's where our daughter is supposed to sleep, but sometimes it's all 3 of us plus the dog on the back bed. I made a bed extension so we sleep with our heads under the back window, making it almost queen size. Once, when it was too hot (we don't have AC) I stayed with the kid and dog, and spouse moved to the couch as Jon suggests above. It worked fine, it was the heat that bothered us. If we were to sleep that way regularly, we would get a piece of memory foam for the couch like we did for the back bed. Report was that the thin couch foam made for a hard bed for an average-weight adult.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnelle View Post
We now have a 13' with front couch. That's where our daughter is supposed to sleep, but...

Understand that! Every child is different. My older daughter had staked out the upper bunk as her kingdom. On our last trip the younger fought tooth and nail to get a turn, so we let her have it for the first night out. Set everything up, and in the time it took me to go to the bathhouse to brush my teeth, they had switched back. The younger decided she hated the bunk. Current arrangement: wife and younger on dinette bed, head to toe, older on upper bunk, me on lower bunk. (BTW, my wife said to thank the FGRV folks for suggesting head-to-toe sleeping. It made a huge difference on the narrow 45" bed!)

You may have to try out several different arrangements to find what works, and what works this time may not work the next time. That's life with kids!
Old 02-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #17

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by taranis83 View Post
WildBirder, my wife actually bought a PeaPod and it arrived this week. I'm considering strapping its base frame down around the tabletop on the dinette-turned-single-bed.

Sounds like a good idea. Let me know how it works. Pictures for size reference would be great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
(#183)
Old 02-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Have you thought about putting the little one in back of the big bed (in or out of a "pea pod") with one adult, and the other adult on the side bed? I don't know exactly how big those things are, but it seems like you could put it in the back corner on the "feet" end and there ought to be plenty of room for one person to sleep diagonally. She couldn't knock it over and the "duty" parent wouldn't have to get out of bed for middle-of-the-night emergencies. Since this is a new experience for your daughter, she might feel more secure with a parent close enough to hear and smell and be more likely to sleep through the night.

We're discussing arrangement. My wife's not sold on having to unzip our daughter to check on her. We might put me on the bunk and the girls on the bed.

The Peapods are one of those baby items that get very light infrequent use. There are plenty on CL starting at $35. "Used 4 times" etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
(#183)
Old 02-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
The Peapods are one of those baby items that get very light infrequent use. There are plenty on CL starting at $35. "Used 4 times" etc.

I think that's wise to think that way. I'd say if she will sleep next to mom on the bed without a pod, that's one less thing to pack. She will outgrow it in a few short months anyway.

If I had a do-over, I wouldn't have bought most of the baby stuff I did. Want to buy a lightly-used backpack-style baby carrier? How about an off-road stroller? I laugh now, but first time out we filled our minivan to travel with just one kid!

Tags
bed, casita, children, crib, infant, kids, sleeping