New 16' Scamp - Poor Door Fit - Cannot close from inside - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-02-2015, 06:20 AM   #15

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderscamper View Post
John, Please tell me how long the screws that you used were; sounds like an appealing idea!
My screws are ⅝ inch. You need to penetrate the inner layer of fiberglass. Its not necessary to go into the wood very far. Screws grip fiberglass very well. Depending on how thick your hardware is I expect ½ inch would be plenty. The door is about one inch thick.

I did move my handle to a position above the latch yesterday. Better.

John
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 09-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #16

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Over time, I think it likely the new seal will soften and become easier to close. If it's bothersome in the meantime, I like the idea of shimming out the inside portion of the latch so the tongue can more easily extend behind the striker plate. Nice thing about that solution is that as the seal gets broken in, you can remove the shim and maintain a nice, tight seal.
Scamp juggles how tight to make the door latch knowing that it will loosen over time as the weatherstrip compresses with age. So they start out pretty snug realizing that most folks will never adjust their door. I chose to loosen my latch with shims and plan to tighen it over the years as the weatherstrip loses is resiliency.

I would really like to see a magnetic seal like a refrigerator. I will add that to my long list of future mods. ;-)

John

Old 09-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #17

Name: Rasaraja
Trailer: Scamp Delux 16
Oregon
Thanks everyone - esp John L.

An extra handle above the latch = (extra leverage) solves the problem.
I got a handle at Home Depot and placed some wood behind the handle to be sure the screws didn't go thru the fiberglass - didn't need any shims for the latch.

The drill slipped a little so it's a little sloppy crooked and close to the curtain rod - I'll try to adjust the handle at a later date.

The handle here allows *PLENTY* of leverage.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp-Door-Handle-01.jpg   Scamp-Door-Handle-Wood.jpg  

Old 09-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #18

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Whenever I close the door on ANY camper whether inside or outside, I turn the handle then pull the door shut. To make the latch slide on the plate is asking quite a lot in my opinion.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:26 PM   #19

Name: Rasaraja
Trailer: Scamp Delux 16
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingindian View Post
Whenever I close the door on ANY camper whether inside or outside, I turn the handle then pull the door shut. To make the latch slide on the plate is asking quite a lot in my opinion.
We weren't asking to make the latch slide. This issue IS when closing the door properly - i.e. Turn the handle and pull it shut. You may have misunderstood the issue.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:12 PM   #20

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Sorry, I did misunderstand.

Tags
scamp