New 1983 Scamp 5th wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
New 1983 Scamp 5th wheel

I just brought this puppy home. I drove almost 500 mi on old cracked 14" bias ply tires. I see where these are supposed to have 13" tires. Has anyone else ran 14" tires without modifications? I want to put an aluminum style wheel on it but don't know what size to buy. Obviously the options are much better for 14" than 13" so would rather do that but I also want to go with radial tires and a bit more side sway may be disastrous, what do you think? Also I have a terrible musty mold smell. Where should I start looking to get rid of it. I do see where there was a small leak and some of the particle board on one of the cabinets swelled. I'll get rid of that first.
Thanks for the suggestions
Steve
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
1983 Scamp 5th wheel

Ours is a 2004 Scamp 5er. We upgraded the tires to ST215-75-14R with no problems. Plenty of wheel-well clearance. Each tire is rated at 1870 lbs at 50 psi, which was needed after we weighed our 5er. When its loaded the weight is Pin = 750lbs, axle = 2800lbs, total = 3550lbs.
Steve & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
towing with old, cracked tires... the very thought give me the willies. I'm so VERY glad you got home safely, truly. Because you have a 5th wheel, the tongue weight and perhaps side-to-side weight will be much higher than a "bumper" pull trailer. You may want to check out this topic for Trailer Weights in the Real World. Please, please don't go for the bling and leave safety behind. You are sharing the road with others, and we REALLY want you to get to your camping destination safely where you'll make tons of memories.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Tires

Thanks Donna, you concern is always appreciated. I got those tires off ASAP. I called Scamp just to be sure and was told 215 R 14 radials would fit with no problem. I ended up getting brand new Carlisle 205 75 r14. For the moment I just had them put on the wheels that were on the truck. I'll worry about "bling" LOL when I get back to Vegas.
Still wondering if anyone has any secrets to get rid of the musty smell?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I guess since it is a 83 it has ensolite for a liner. As for the musty odor, Take the curtains and cushions out of the trailer and let the trailer air out and clean your ensolite. If that does not help start probing the floor under your windows especially the front and rear windows and under the frig vents. Rotten floors give off a musty smell even when they have dried out. If the floors are solid next thing I would do is get rid of the old carpet. Also spray the inside of all your cabinets and under seat storage areas with Mold Control or a bleach solution. Don't try to cover up the musty smell it just makes it worse. Cleaning, floor replacement and paint will usually get rid of it.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp