New Adjustable Torflex Axle Squeaking Problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #1

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1300 Boler -The Pine Cone
Ontario
Registry
Unhappy New Adjustable Torflex Axle Squeaking Problem

Hello Everyone
Last year we had a new 3000 lb adjustable torsion bar axel installed. Last year it didn't squeak and has been in indoor heated storage all winter. When I had it out for a drive yesterday, I noticed both sides of the axle are squeaking loudly. It's definitely the axle suspension. I had my wife bounce the suspension, and yup! The squeak is starting at the axel arms and the volume of the squeak is increased as it resonates through the frame. I don't think there is any lubrication that can be done on these torsion axels to remove that squeak, but I know its gonna drive my wife and I crazy while driving. Puzzled.... Your thoughts, suggestions?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #2

Ontario
Registry
I'm thinking it might just go away with use. My trailer tech suggested a silicone spray that won't hurt the rubber if it's really bugging me. 😉
Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
That's a new one on me! My spring shackles squeak all the time, but I've never heard torsion axles squeak before.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
At least squeaky spring shackles can be fixed!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #5

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
Hi Noel

I'm assuming you have a Flexiride axle which was made by a UCF liscensee. Torflex is the name that Dexter uses for their axles which are not adjustable as far as I know.

I installed a 2000 lb. Flexiride axle under my 1977 Scamp recently and last weekend heard it squeaking as I passed over speed bumps along the front of a grocery store. Here is what UCF says in their Frequently Asked Questions paper:

FLEXIRIDE® – My Flexiride® suspension makes a squeaking noise in function. Why?

This only happens when the Nylon bushing used as a bearing is pressed tight against the cartridge shaft;
the friction will induce vibrations and create a high pitched noise. As a consequence of the issue that a
few licensees have experienced with the Flexiride® bushings squeaking, we have made some changes to
eliminate the problem:

1. We have changed the bushings material from Delrin to Nylon 66 with Teflon. The new material allows
less friction than the Delrin.

2. We are using a new reaming machine to ensure that there is no chatter and the hole cleans up
perfectly. This prevents debris and particles from lodging themselves in the bushing.

3. The use of a retainer plate to hold the bushing in place instead of rivets also helps the bushing move
freely and reduces the chance of squeaking.
Testing and field study have shown that these changes have been effective in eliminating the squeaking.

However, if you experience this annoyance, you may eliminate the noise by removing the Flexiride® arm,
and spraying some Silicone lubricant between the bushing and the shaft. Do not use any petroleum
compound, since this will damage the rubber in the cartridge. If the noise persists, you will need to have
the unit replaced by the Flexiride® licensee that provided it to you.

I remembered reading this before and just now read it again since it applies to me also. I don't hear the squeaking when I'm driving down the road. I only heard it this one time as I was close to a building where the sound could bounce off the walls. It doesn't bother me yet.

I've included a picture of the splined shaft with the adjustable arm removed. I might get some silicone lubricant and spray it in there to see if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2956a.JPG  
Jeff Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #6

Ontario
Registry
Jeff
What you have described is exactly my situation. My technician who installed my axle recommended the Silicone Lubricant as Flexride suggested above. It is very loud in my case and I'm not sure if lubricating will be a permanent fix or just temporary. I will keep in contact with my tech over this as I assume there is a warranty with it.

Thank you for the information. It is very informative.
Noel

Tags
axle