New and Looking at Scamp Today. HELP! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Scamp frames have undergone several changes over the years starting with a 1200# leading arm axle on a lighter gauge frame, then transitioning to a 2200# axle, then on to a 2200# trailing arm axle. At some point the frame tubing gauge was increased, pretty much eliminating frame cracks which were fairly rare to begin with.
Below is a picture of my 2004 Scamp13 tongue. Notice it has no additional angle iron.
Post fire 13s went to a tongue with the same configuration as the 16s, including a 2" hitch with a vertical tongue jack.
Floyd do you know what year Scamp actually stopped adding the additional angle iron? Was it about the same time they upgraded the 16' to the 2" ball?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Floyd do you know what year Scamp actually stopped adding the additional angle iron? Was it about the same time they upgraded the 16' to the 2" ball?
I have had older scamps and never really noticed that part. If I had seen it I would have assumed it to be aftermarket. My guess is that it was when they went to the heavier gauge steel and the 2200# axle on the 13 (3500 on the 16). Late eighties?? Early nineties??
Your guess is likely a good one, since the 16 probably increased the axle capacity from 2200 to 3500 at the same time.
I would also speculate that no trailing arm Scamp came with that feature.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have had older scamps and never really noticed that part. If I had seen it I would have assumed it to be aftermarket. My guess is that it was when they went to the heavier gauge steel and the 2200# axle on the 13 (3500 on the 16). Late eighties?? Early nineties??
Your guess is likely a good one, since the 16 probably increased the axle capacity from 2200 to 3500 at the same time.
I would also speculate that no trailing arm Scamp came with that feature.
Not surprised you did not notice it as on some Scamps there is very little of it showing on the outside of the house - on mine maybe 2" - but have seen them with only an 1" or less visible.

I was kind of thinking it may not have been until the mid/late 90's as my 92 16' has the angle iron and seem to recall a friends 94 or 95 did as well. I recall it as they asked me before they bought the trailer if I thought it to be an after market repair they should be concerned about.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All I can tell y'all is my 1988 has the angle iron and the 1-7/8" ball from the factory and all that is working well after nearly 26 years.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
All I can tell y'all is my 1988 has the angle iron and the 1-7/8" ball from the factory and all that is working well after nearly 26 years.
That is the only way to find the answer to some Scamp questions... hear from owners who have had them forever!

Scamp has not been good at documenting change over the years, leaving us to keep track. Even then, it can lead to some strange results.

I once set out to determine when they switched from leading arm to trailing arm axles on the 13s. I was seriously surprised to find a 2001 with a leading arm, I was sure I had seen older ones with a trailing arm??

Bottom line?...there are few Scamp absolutes!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp