New Boler owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at fiberglass RV's and thought this would be the perfect place to come for help. I'm strongly considering buying a 1974 13' boler. Could anyone suggest some tips on what to watch out for with fiberglass units, particularly bolers. Are there any structural issues with older fiberglass I should be aware of. I've noticed cracks along bolt holes and marker lights on some units I've seen but I've been told by a few people that its cosmetic in the paint or gel coat and that it would pose no issue structurally, is this generally true? Also, would an RV dealer be able to tell if the frame is in need of replacement by a simple inspection or would this take removing the unit from the trailer frame to truly asses its integrity? I'm relying on a dealership inspection to uncover any problems as the trailer is 1200km's away. The owner and I had discussed the possibility of meeting half way (since I live on an island sometimes I have to reach pretty far to get things).

I'm asking these structural questions in particular because I plan on taking it on recovered logging roads so they can be a little bumpy on some spots, as such I am concerned about its strength considering its had very little use of the last 15 years. Does anyone else have experience taking their bolers on rough (but still reasonable) unpaved roads?

I was also wondering how to restore the fiberglass as the gel coat looks a little tired.

Any other tips or questions to ask would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance everyone!
D. Hof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:02 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
HI D Hof, I have a 1980 Boler 13ft and the reason I got it 2 years ago, was that the ALL fiberglass construction will just about last forever.
No rotten wood or canvas to worry about.
The frame of the the Boler can be inspected by you or a garage for any stress cracks at weld joints and also where the tongue portion makes it bend to straight under the camper on a Boler has been know as a weak point.
Mine had a gusette welded on to reinforce this point by a previous owner but I couldn't see any cracks on my frame so he must have done it for a precautionary messure.
The stress cracks on Fiberglass, around bolts holding up cupboards, unless opened right up to the interior, does not worry me and is just in the gel-coat and a cosmetic thing that is hardly noticable when looking at the whole camper.
Be more concerned about water leaks and appliances that work or not.
Retoring was an issue for me but repainting was too big a step . Maguires polishes (found ant a marine or auto store. and elbow greese did wonders to bring back a shine from a dull chalky look.
I have done some improvements to my Boler, Lady-Bug over the past years but keeping the original lay-out and look is my intent. See my photos at:
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g108/can...2013ft%20Boler/
I have also added a 20AMP breaker box and 12V water pump in the small cupboard under the sink.
Feel free to ask and share all ideas and welcome to the world of FGRV
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler