New Campster Owner-"list" of questions-thx - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #1

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
New Campster Owner-"list" of questions-thx

Hi Everybody.

I just bought my first Campster yesterday. I have yet to unpack the years of stuff stored on the inside, but alredy I am amassing some questions. The main ones I have right now are the following.

1) I have seen postings by some who have "logos" for the outside, either home made or purchased somewhere (I am guessing the former). Anybody who has info on where I can obtain a couple would be greatly appreciated. Mine are totally faded out. Almost completely unreadable.

2) My popup top does not exist. Not just the fabric, but the actual popup top on mine is made out of 2x4's and a piece of plywood on top with a hole the size of a bucket in it. I have read a couple places about the fabric matching a VW and about the guy in TJ, are there other "reasonable" fabric options, and what is the pop-top made of? (fiberglass, or vacu-formed plastic or or or. . .. .???

3) How do those darn wheel covers come off, one side of mine is held on with metal brackets on the outside, this of course, looks horrible...please help!!!!

Certainly there is more to come, but thanks anyone who has input.

. . cheers. . jimbo!
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jim if you post some photos of your problem area it maygenerate a few suggestions as I suspect not a lot of people are aware of what a Campster is. You you go to the Document Center portion of this forum there are listings of info by trailer and there is where the logos can be found - if the trailer is no longer being made there may be a template for some of the trailer brands and people take the template to a sign shop to have them custom cut.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Jim if you post some photos of your problem area it maygenerate a few suggestions as I suspect not a lot of people are aware of what a Campster is. You you go to the Document Center portion of this forum there are listings of info by trailer and there is where the logos can be found - if the trailer is no longer being made there may be a template for some of the trailer brands and people take the template to a sign shop to have them custom cut.
I have a jpg file of the logo but have not made it yet.

The poptop is fiberglass. Does yours have the mechanism? Any waterproof fabric would work but some of the shops sell the original yellow stuff.

Don't know about the wheel covers but mine don't show any metal on the outside.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #4

California
Registry
I only have one photo so far but basically it is a Hunter trailer. My wheel well cover was screwed on one side because the
Previous owner broke it off. I'm worried I'm gonna break off the other side.

I'll definitely get pix up soon

Thx!
Old 11-02-2011, 05:26 AM   #5

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Hi Jimbo,
I own two of these but neither has hubcaps. I am interested to see what they look like. I think a fiberlgass top could be fabricated, the big issue would be the mechanism that Bobbie refers to.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #6

California
Registry
I think I Mis-communicated. The campster has fiberglass wheel-well covers which I don't think the hunter does. They attach to the body. When they took it off one side they broke it and had to bolt it back on. I'll try to take pix tonite . Thx all!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #7

California
Registry
OK here are two of the only pix i have so far, you will notice on the one hooked to the truck, that there are big square wheel wells around the tires. The other one (hard angle to see)there is a "cover" over the wheel wells, which just leaves a curved opening. One was broken off and bolted back on with ugly metal plates, the other side is still on, and im worried about breaking it if I take it off incorrectly.

Help!!!!!!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #8

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Is there is room inside, I would consider glassing hardwood with "T" nuts installed, and then use Stainless steel bolts from the outside to hold the fender skirts on.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #9

California
Registry
I thought that would be the least visually obvious. Perhaps an "L" brackets on the inside and paint the nuts the same color as the body.

Still trying to figure out how to get the skirt off the other side undamaged
Old 11-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
When I restored my 69 TWC, I'm fairly certain that the "skirts" were just held on by screws, or at best, bolts and nuts. You will have to get under there and feel around for the fasteners. but it's no big deal...
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #11

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans
When I restored my 69 TWC, I'm fairly certain that the "skirts" were just held on by screws, or at best, bolts and nuts. You will have to get under there and feel around for the fasteners. but it's no big deal...
Gracias. I'll start feeling. Fingers crossed for no fiberglass splinters

Tags
campster