new cushions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
Posts: 124
well mine don't have too much mold, .......there is a small amount on one and a few specs on the others, ..............

i am going to give it s try, filling up the tub right now!!!!
__________________

__________________
pbraunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #16
Member
 
Name: Kyle
Trailer: '73 Boler
Ontario
Posts: 39
Registry
ASTROBOY:

if the cleaning works, ..........i'll trade you the foam sheets for the services of your sewing????

i will look into cleaning one of the smaller pieces this week, and see how it turns out!!![/QUOTE]

I look forward to hearing about your cleaning. I read the thread about the car wash, sounds like a good idea to try anyway. I wast thinking about placing them in the washing machine in a laundromat after I clean them (don't want to use mine, and they are usually higher capacity) just on the spin cycle to take out the water. From the sounds of it, there is a lot of interest in covers. as I move forward, I will keep everyone posted on my success.
__________________

__________________
astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
Posts: 124
so i just washed the smallest of the cushions, .......the water was not too dirty.........but was obvious that it was in need of a clean!!!!

and the results are positive.....i mean it smelt like old mildewey foam before, and now it smells like bright and clean foam!!!!

i used about 5 inches in the bottom of the tub, and a scoop of dishwasher soap, .......worked it around for about 10 minutes, drained the water and then filled with fresh water and rinsed, ........then ran running water over it for a few minutes to make sure it was rinsed....

i will report back once it has dried, ......and once my wife has a sniff, ...afterall she has the final say!!!:-)
__________________
pbraunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Just make sure that you get it dried out in the middle *fast* - rather than days otherwise you will have the same smell issue.
__________________
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbraunton View Post
ROY:

so did the cleaning work?
I don't know, I only posted the link about Alf S. cleaning his. You will have to ask him and the others that have tried cleaning in a number of ways.

Doing a "grape stomp" kind of dance on the foam in a bath tub seems to play a prominent role though.
__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
LOL Ok guys when cleaning those cushions don't have to much fun "grape stomping" as they may get out of shape!

The other important thing to remember is to use the pet urine remover in the last rinse - even if a pet has not been near them. Its the enzymes in the product that kills off any bad stuff that may be in lurking in the cushions and stops it from coming back.
__________________
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #21
Junior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Posts: 5
Cushion Foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
Good day all.
This is for the folks in Ontario. I am looking for an inexpensive way to replace the foam cushions only. I can sew, it's just the foam I'm looking for. Working on a couple of leads but everyone in the retail wants an arm and a leg. Alternatively, I would take advise on cleaning the old foam, although I think it's the original ('73) and recovering that. Any products on the market for that? I don't think the foam is too bad, but has an older, "used" smell (wife is very sensitive). Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
We purchased a Queen size 4" memory foam mattress topper from Sears and cut the cushions from it. This was far cheaper than buying foam from the upholstery places. It has turned out very well

Dave
__________________
Dave Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:46 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Posts: 3,815
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: astroboy... The foams cleaned up like new. They actually smell better than the new stuff. New latex foam will not last or stay firm like the old foam due to lack of petrolium content. Thats why I went to the trouble of cleaning the old.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
__________________
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #23
Member
 
Kevin H.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kevin
Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
Ontario
Posts: 65
I've had great success washing everything from wool carpets to strollers to van seats(removed) to foam with a basic pressure washer. Usually I just use whatever detergent I have on hand for the pressure washer, general cleaning, house and siding etc. and use a fairly diffuse nozzle to avoid damage.

I got the idea when I went to an automotive cleaning specialist to steam clean an oil stain from my van seat. Since it was a soaked in stain he said it would be better if I removed the seat so he could pressure wash it instead, so I took it to the local do it yourself carwash myself and saved $80. I then took a couple wool carpets which also worked great, but they get pretty heavy once soaked with water.

Now I do it on my deck so I can leave them drain for a day before trying to hang up to finish drying. Anything that absorbs water like foam or a rug will take at least a few warm sunny days to fully dry. (None of the wool rugs I've done were very special so I wasn't worried if I damaged them. I did ruin one from ikea - the carpet pile itself was fine but the glue or sizing holding the backing on disintegrated and continuously shed a fine white powder on the floor underneath, so try this at your own risk...)

Kevin
__________________
1969 Boler
Kevin H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #24
Member
 
Kevin H.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kevin
Trailer: Boler 1300 1969 (flat roof)
Ontario
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
New latex foam will not last or stay firm like the old foam due to lack of petrolium content.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf I think you have a good point, I'm amazed that my 40 year old cushions are still pretty comfortable, no sagging or crumbling foam.
__________________
1969 Boler
Kevin H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #25
Member
 
Name: Kyle
Trailer: '73 Boler
Ontario
Posts: 39
Registry
ok, had to bit the bullet and get new foam cushions. Thanks to all for the advise. i may clean the foam to do something with, but the foam was just a little too old to try to cover. i had to consider my wifes sensitivity. the trailer will already be a bit of a challenge for her to really enjoy. anyway, thought I would pass on the company i bought it from. for all of those in TO, try Foamite just south of the Vaughn Mills mall. it's the factory and i paid about $280 for the new foam. no tax, a little negotiable and quite a bit of selection for different grades. I took the middle of the road for density and firmness. thanks to all for the advise and suggestions, including Paul's offer. Paul, i'm still considering making a few cushion covers. I don't know about making another set, but i will make the patterns and perhaps that will be a good option for people who want to make them themselves. do you think people would be interested in measurements and templates? anyway, i will keep you all posted as this is my first goal for the spring reno. have a great holiday season everyone.
__________________
astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,432
Kyle, I'm sure folks would be interested in templates and patterns. For instance, something like this: Cushion Template
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #27
Member
 
Name: mona
Trailer: Casita 16'
Wisconsin
Posts: 56
Good Move on Foam

Just to applaud your purchase and plan to recover new foam. So far you've done so well, the mid density is a good choice. You will be displeased by the results if you make covers that are the same size as foam pieces. When constructing a cushion cover you should draw an outline of the shape of the top and the bottom and the length and height of the sides. Do not be generous when you add seam allowances, as the cover will not fit snug. I would strongly advise you to do "a test cover," and see if you are pleased with the results. If the cover is too loose, use a 1/4" seam allowance, but take a 1/2 inch seams, or more. That should tighten things up.
I've made cushion covers with zippers, and without zippers. I've found that you really don't take the covers off often, so I avoid using zippers. Then, when using a blind stitch to sew up the back you can determine how tight you want the cover to fit, including more fabric in the SA if the cover seems too loose.
I wrap the foam in dry cleaning bags, before attempting to stuff them into the covers. After the foam is in the cover, you pull out the plastic wrapping. ( Or take them to an upholstry shop where they have a machine that compresses foam before the covers go on.)
If after you sleep on the cushions, and you decide that they aren't firm enoungh, you can buy thermorest mattresses (self-inflating) and place them under the cushions for more support.
Choosing a medium weight, tightly woven fabric will be good to work with. If you have a bankrupt and liquidation sales outlet in the area, those kinds of places have good selection of upholstry fabric at low, low prices. Nothing more than 6 dollars per yard (60" wide). Some at 3 per yard. Have a good time. The process gets repetative, but is worth the effort. monasimpson



Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
ok, had to bit the bullet and get new foam cushions. Thanks to all for the advise. i may clean the foam to do something with, but the foam was just a little too old to try to cover. i had to consider my wifes sensitivity. the trailer will already be a bit of a challenge for her to really enjoy. anyway, thought I would pass on the company i bought it from. for all of those in TO, try Foamite just south of the Vaughn Mills mall. it's the factory and i paid about $280 for the new foam. no tax, a little negotiable and quite a bit of selection for different grades. I took the middle of the road for density and firmness. thanks to all for the advise and suggestions, including Paul's offer. Paul, i'm still considering making a few cushion covers. I don't know about making another set, but i will make the patterns and perhaps that will be a good option for people who want to make them themselves. do you think people would be interested in measurements and templates? anyway, i will keep you all posted as this is my first goal for the spring reno. have a great holiday season everyone.
__________________
monasimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #28
Member
 
Name: Kyle
Trailer: '73 Boler
Ontario
Posts: 39
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by monasimpson View Post
Just to applaud your purchase and plan to recover new foam. So far you've done so well, the mid density is a good choice. You will be displeased by the results if you make covers that are the same size as foam pieces. When constructing a cushion cover you should draw an outline of the shape of the top and the bottom and the length and height of the sides. Do not be generous when you add seam allowances, as the cover will not fit snug. I would strongly advise you to do "a test cover," and see if you are pleased with the results. If the cover is too loose, use a 1/4" seam allowance, but take a 1/2 inch seams, or more. That should tighten things up.
I've made cushion covers with zippers, and without zippers. I've found that you really don't take the covers off often, so I avoid using zippers. Then, when using a blind stitch to sew up the back you can determine how tight you want the cover to fit, including more fabric in the SA if the cover seems too loose.
I wrap the foam in dry cleaning bags, before attempting to stuff them into the covers. After the foam is in the cover, you pull out the plastic wrapping. ( Or take them to an upholstry shop where they have a machine that compresses foam before the covers go on.)
If after you sleep on the cushions, and you decide that they aren't firm enoungh, you can buy thermorest mattresses (self-inflating) and place them under the cushions for more support.
Choosing a medium weight, tightly woven fabric will be good to work with. If you have a bankrupt and liquidation sales outlet in the area, those kinds of places have good selection of upholstry fabric at low, low prices. Nothing more than 6 dollars per yard (60" wide). Some at 3 per yard. Have a good time. The process gets repetative, but is worth the effort. monasimpson
Dear Mona,
Thank you for the reply. I saved from the original covers the vinyl bottom. These vinyl bottoms make a perfect template for the new covers. I was at the fabric store yesterday. Brought the family because the fabric choice will be the foundation for our color pallet (new doors and curtains) for the interior. I was going to avoid zippers. Possibly use an overlap flap on the hidden side. I am not sure if I'm going to 5 thread serge my seams, or an folded seam. That will determine my seam allowance but I was going to do what you suggest and make a trial version. I remember seeing a thread about yardage requirement, but it will depend on my yield from what ever roll width I'm working with. It seems like 54 and 60" are the standard. I want to get a good deal on fabric, and there's a sale at retail outlets, but I'm going to continue my search for wholesale locations. One interesting thing. The cushions that I replace are all 4", except the one that is the back of the bench seat that turns into the top bunk. My poor daughter would have had a 2" thick cushion. I could have used the thermal rests we have now, but I thought I would just get 4" for that as well. It will make the seat shorter I guess and I hadn't heard anyone else with that experience. I figure just get it all the same thickness. Anyway, I will keep everyone posted, perhaps with some pics because I know how everyone loves to see pictures! Happy new years all.
__________________

__________________
astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing Boler cushions with Scamp cushions? Jerry71 Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 12 07-17-2009 06:26 PM
replacement cushions Ken&Chris Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 08-26-2008 11:04 PM
Cushions Randy Dewey Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 7 07-24-2007 10:59 PM
Cushions Legacy Posts Modifications, Alterations and Updates 17 05-30-2003 10:32 PM
Falling Cushions Legacy Posts Modifications, Alterations and Updates 1 04-20-2003 11:51 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.