new cushions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #1

Name: Kyle
Trailer: '73 Boler
Ontario
Registry
new cushions

Good day all.
This is for the folks in Ontario. I am looking for an inexpensive way to replace the foam cushions only. I can sew, it's just the foam I'm looking for. Working on a couple of leads but everyone in the retail wants an arm and a leg. Alternatively, I would take advise on cleaning the old foam, although I think it's the original ('73) and recovering that. Any products on the market for that? I don't think the foam is too bad, but has an older, "used" smell (wife is very sensitive). Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
Good day all.
This is for the folks in Ontario. I am looking for an inexpensive way to replace the foam cushions only. I can sew, it's just the foam I'm looking for. Working on a couple of leads but everyone in the retail wants an arm and a leg. Alternatively, I would take advise on cleaning the old foam, although I think it's the original ('73) and recovering that. Any products on the market for that? I don't think the foam is too bad, but has an older, "used" smell (wife is very sensitive). Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
One way is to look for a sale on foam mattresses, many times they are cheaper per square foot than raw foam.
Check in thrift shops and garage sales for clean used couches, they usually have high quality foam which is protected by batting which can be removed. Watch for density when buying, couch cushion material is usually very high quality foam
Also there is glue available to effectively join large pieces.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #3

Name: mona
Trailer: Casita 16'
Wisconsin
Foam Supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
Good day all.
You could check the Upholstry listings. Foam Rubber Products is a Milwaukee WI company that sells all firmness and thickness options. Do you have a similar business nearby? I select slabs from their "seconds" inventory. Once covered, who will notice? Stinky stuff is not worth the work to re-cover.
monasimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If they are not in bad shape you can try washing them in the bath tub, no bleach. - just a *little* bit of Tide (you do not want a lot of foam) or some people use a product like Simple Green. Let soak for awhile then lightly scrub the dirt off the tops. Then rise them out. To really get rid of smell some people suggest that once they are rinsed out well - fill the tub again and put a bottle of pet urine remover into the water as it has enzymes in it that will take the stink out of the cushions (no matter what the cause). Some also add a little tea tree oil as well, to kill bacteria. After the dip in the enzymes/water mixture get as much water out of the foam as you can (I walked on mine in the bath tub). Thats the biggest problem with washing them - its getting all the water out so that they actually dry fast enough and do not go moldy in the middle. Best to put in the hot sun or in front of a strong fan. I would only do one or two at a time to make sure the fan hits them. Please note I only did this once on a cushion that had a lot of wine spelled on it and I used the pet urine remover in the rinse and it seem to work. It was hot outside so drying wasn't a big problem.

I did see this suggestion that someone in the carpet cleaning biz put on line as a suggestion for drying:
Get the big black force flex glad bags. Put a cushion in the bag and take a wet dry vac and put the hose deep into the bag. Make a seal around the hose and bag (duct tape keeps your hands from getting tired!) and suck as much as the water out as you can. Set them in front of a heavy volume fan and let them dry completely.

Saw another suggestion for cleaning that said to just lightly spray whem with a alcohol and lightly scrub them with face cloths and let them dry in the sun. Have no idea if this actually works or not.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
***a light BULB******

you can sew EH!!!

we have foam and are looking to either buy or get someone to sew some covers for us???..........

contact me if your interested in sewing up for cushions for us, ....we would pay of course, but just not as much as retail would charge!!!!

also on the scamp page you can buy foam for the entire trailer, or individual pieces.....

link is here:
Cushions Full Set of Seven With Foam

I have an idea as well, ......we could collectively buy the set i listed above, a complette set of covers with foam, we can meet up and i get the covers and you get the foam, .......i think this would be cheepr for the both of us........

we could set the price according to what is would cost to buy individually, and split the shipping.......

send me a PM, i am close by as well, .....well in Innisfil........but close enough

Paul
pbraunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #6

Name: Tracy
Trailer: 2006 Egg Camper
Michigan
Registry
Jo Ann's has green foam in several different thicknesses. It isn't cheap but it is very high quality stuff and if you are going to spend the time to do it don't get cheap foam. The great thing about getting it from JoAnn's is that they often have half off coupons and will cut the foam and only sell you what you need.
Beadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #7

Ontario
who and where is this "jo Ann's place??

sorry i have have never heard of this place before!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #8

Michigan
Registry
It's a fabric store sorry it's called Jo ann's fabric store and most larger city have them, You can get the coupons online here.

Home : Shop | Joann.com

Most often the coupon is only good for one item I just went to the store several days in a row but if you take someone they can also use a coupon.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
One of the problems with the lack of state (or country) in a members viewable profile... trying to hook someone up with a store. I'm betting Paul is somewhere in Canada and doesn't have a JoAnn Fabric store locally.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #10

Michigan
Registry
I didn't pay attention to where he was from sorry, most fabric stores do sell foam but unless you have a good coupon it will be expensive.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Cleaning:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ues-41398.html
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:38 AM   #12

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi,
I just priced out some foam online, just google "foam for you", that is the site address, although not the company name. It came to around $340. for high density 4", firm foam. I may get the medium instead of firm, because I think that is what we had before.
I think you would need less than me also, as my Trillium has a wider bed and couch than the Boler.
I too can sew, but usually just curtains and clothing, so upholstery is going to be a challenge I think!. But I am going to give it a try.
Have fun,
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #13

Ontario
ROY:

so did the cleaning work?, ..........i have the original foam still, plus i have two sheets of foam that i was going to use to make new ones..........

I have no problems with putting in a little elbow grease to get them clean, .....i guess it is worth a try!!!!

ASTROBOY:

if the cleaning works, ..........i'll trade you the foam sheets for the services of your sewing????

i will look into cleaning one of the smaller pieces this week, and see how it turns out!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #14

Michigan
Registry
I don't think you would ever get the smell out of them or the smell would never come out of mine they have so much mold I would have an allergy attack if I tried to sleep on them.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #15

Ontario
well mine don't have too much mold, .......there is a small amount on one and a few specs on the others, ..............

i am going to give it s try, filling up the tub right now!!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #16

Name: Kyle
Trailer: '73 Boler
Ontario
Registry
ASTROBOY:

if the cleaning works, ..........i'll trade you the foam sheets for the services of your sewing????

i will look into cleaning one of the smaller pieces this week, and see how it turns out!!![/QUOTE]

I look forward to hearing about your cleaning. I read the thread about the car wash, sounds like a good idea to try anyway. I wast thinking about placing them in the washing machine in a laundromat after I clean them (don't want to use mine, and they are usually higher capacity) just on the spin cycle to take out the water. From the sounds of it, there is a lot of interest in covers. as I move forward, I will keep everyone posted on my success.
astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #17

Ontario
so i just washed the smallest of the cushions, .......the water was not too dirty.........but was obvious that it was in need of a clean!!!!

and the results are positive.....i mean it smelt like old mildewey foam before, and now it smells like bright and clean foam!!!!

i used about 5 inches in the bottom of the tub, and a scoop of dishwasher soap, .......worked it around for about 10 minutes, drained the water and then filled with fresh water and rinsed, ........then ran running water over it for a few minutes to make sure it was rinsed....

i will report back once it has dried, ......and once my wife has a sniff, ...afterall she has the final say!!!:-)
Old 11-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #18

Registry
Just make sure that you get it dried out in the middle *fast* - rather than days otherwise you will have the same smell issue.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbraunton View Post
ROY:

so did the cleaning work?
I don't know, I only posted the link about Alf S. cleaning his. You will have to ask him and the others that have tried cleaning in a number of ways.

Doing a "grape stomp" kind of dance on the foam in a bath tub seems to play a prominent role though.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #20

Registry
LOL Ok guys when cleaning those cushions don't have to much fun "grape stomping" as they may get out of shape!

The other important thing to remember is to use the pet urine remover in the last rinse - even if a pet has not been near them. Its the enzymes in the product that kills off any bad stuff that may be in lurking in the cushions and stops it from coming back.