New Day...New Scamp 13 Questions! - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Bill Nolen's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Posts: 601
Registry
New Day...New Scamp 13 Questions!

One...when I removed the door yesterday from my 1978 Scamp 13, the door seemed heavier than I thought it should.

So today I put it on some scales, and it weighted 46-pounds.

Is that heavy for a Scamp door...or am I just getting weak.

Two...has anyone purchased the door hinge set now offered from Scamp to use on a older Scamp? Are/were the hole patterns the same?

I will call Scamp Monday...but, I do like information from the horse's mouth...so to speak!

Bill
__________________

__________________
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
sarahspins's Avatar
 
Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Posts: 159
Registry
My door is fairly heavy - I didn't weigh it, but it was very awkward to remove by myself, however it didn't seem overly heavy for the size and mine is not holding water (I drilled a couple of small holes inside to check - I'm recovering that side of the door anyways with new vinyl soon, so I wasn't worried about any visible damage, and I plan on filling them before I recover the door).

I replaced the hinges on my '84 scamp and the new ones bolted on just fine.
__________________

__________________
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
I have no idea what mine weighs but I know its not light as I have a hard time just holding it in place while adjusting the hinges myself.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bill Nolen's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Posts: 601
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
My door is fairly heavy - I didn't weigh it, but it was very awkward to remove by myself, however it didn't seem overly heavy for the size and mine is not holding water (I drilled a couple of small holes inside to check - I'm recovering that side of the door anyways with new vinyl soon, so I wasn't worried about any visible damage, and I plan on filling them before I recover the door).

I replaced the hinges on my '84 scamp and the new ones bolted on just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I have no idea what mine weighs but I know its not light as I have a hard time just holding it in place while adjusting the hinges myself.
Sarah and Carol, thank you very much for your replies!

That was the information that I was seeking.

Bill
__________________
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:54 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Johnny M's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Posts: 1,147
Mine had some weight to it but the wood interior was rotten & water logged. I gutted the interior of the door, fiberglassed over the window, made a steel frame for the door and epoxied it to the inside of the door. I followed up by filling the area in between the metal frame with 1/2" foam then covered that with a layer of wax paper then fiberglass resin & cloth. The wax paper was to protect the foam from melting when applying the resin. Before attempting the metal frame I cut plywood slats and tried filling the door with those & fiberglass filler but the door weighed nearly 50 pounds. The door now weights about 25 pounds.
__________________
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:57 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Bill Nolen's Avatar
 
Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Posts: 601
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Mine had some weight to it but the wood interior was rotten & water logged. I gutted the interior of the door, fiberglassed over the window, made a steel frame for the door and epoxied it to the inside of the door. I followed up by filling the area in between the metal frame with 1/2" foam then covered that with a layer of wax paper then fiberglass resin & cloth. The wax paper was to protect the foam from melting when applying the resin. Before attempting the metal frame I cut plywood slats and tried filling the door with those & fiberglass filler but the door weighed nearly 50 pounds. The door now weights about 25 pounds.
John, that was quite a weigh savings, and no doubt the door is much stronger.

I'm afraid that I don't have the skills to attempt such a modification. Too bad you don't live closer!

Thanks for the information,

Bill
__________________

__________________
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New guy, new camper, new questions... Seldomseensmith Modifications, Alterations and Updates 29 08-24-2014 11:28 PM
A few questions ... okay, more like a lot of questions! shelley w Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 07-04-2012 11:25 PM
Remembrance Day/Veterans Day Chester Taje General Chat 7 11-12-2010 12:09 AM
Who is getting a brand new Scamp any day now? Speak up! Gail Shook General Chat 0 07-26-2007 09:53 PM
Replacement windows, questions, questions. CliveAlive Modifications, Alterations and Updates 4 07-13-2006 08:32 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.