New Discovery on Scamp Leak: What about this? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #29

How do I start a topic? Where do I post?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 10-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #30

How do you post a topic

Old 10-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #31

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
From your iPhone go to forum you want to post to, click on 3 dots at top and drop down box will say new topic.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #32

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janb313 View Post
Hmmm, For some reason I thought I had read that the belly band couldn't leak but that may explain the leak that has developed under the bench seat at the dinette on my driver side. A PO had calked the belly band with what looks like a silicone (Aarrgh) so I think that will be my next repair! Thanks.
The two halves are 'glassed together and should not leak any more than any other undisturbed place on the shell.
The silicone on the belly band is factory applied for a reason.
The belly band is aluminum. If water was allowed to flow under it, the result would be black streaks all down the bottom half of the trailer. The belly band is there to avoid the need to finish the joint between the two halves.

BTW; Contrary to popular opinion, silicone is good stuff... like many things, it is great when used properly and could be a disaster when not.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #33

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
BTW; Contrary to popular opinion, silicone is good stuff... like many things, it is great when used properly and could be a disaster when not.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Silicone caulk or such may leave behind the silicone oil which is a bear to clean up, and pretty much nothing sticks to it. When cleaning up, use every solvent you can think of, and lots of elbow grease. To seal various hardware on my Scamp I like to use Lexel as a non-silicone alternative. It sticks to almost anything, but takes days to completely cure at room temperature.
Back on-topic: leaks are always hard to find, it is necessary to dry up the inside as well as possible, then start tracing when it rains, sometimes I resort to a garden hose.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #34

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
"BTW; Contrary to popular opinion, silicone is good stuff... like many things, it is great when used properly and could be a disaster when not.
Yes, and when used properly it is usually not being used on FGRV's. There are several 100 different silicone sealers/caulks on the shelf and maybe 3-5 are appropriate for RV use.

I have been repairing molded fiberglass & sheet fiberglass RV's for over ten years and, except for a very few and specialized marine products, have yet to find any silicone caulking products with more than 2-3 years life expectancy, especially when used on molded fiberglass, and whole lot of products that have failed within little as months either because of improper material, preparation or application.

For now I will stick with the butyl type RV putty tapes.

Tags
scamp