New Discovery on Scamp Leak: What about this? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
New Discovery on Scamp Leak: What about this?

Was out here tonight in my driveway still trying to uncover this confounded Scamp leak and started popping off snap caps to have a look at rivet status. Came across these two wood screws under snap caps on either side of the spare tire. One of them is corroded and spins ( right side if spare) and other looks good. Does scamp use wood screws here? Looks fishy to me. Donna? Carol? Bob? Floyd? Norm? All others who have been trying to help me? Whatcha think?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1409963535.585459.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	75990Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1409963549.258032.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	75991Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1409963559.977604.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	75992. This doesn't seem right. If it's supposed to be rivets here, what would be the spec size from the factory? This discovery, if the problem, would line up exactly where I'm seeing my leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wendy, yes Scamp (and other brands) use rivets, but other places (typically the bottom cabinetry with wood cleats) they use screws. Forgive me, where is this leak happening?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #3

New York
Registry
No problem Donna. Leak is mostly between the areas of the two rear cubby holes that harbor fresh water tank and water heater. The area along rear trailer wall and floor that runs behind where dinette bench seats are along back wall. Every time I shove my back there with paper towel I get more spots of wAter on it. It's where the pex tubing/ cold water line runs from fresh tank to hot water heater. Rear slider window is good and pex line pressure test proved no leaks. This looks darn fishy to me. Wood screws through outside shell of fiberglass to inside? There is a wood block under rat fur inside, I suppose for dinette table to anchor to or possibly spare tire mount? This don't seem right. Remember: my trailer was in an accident and PO might have tried to do some repairs himself.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If it corroded and "Spins" there is about a 95% chance that water has been getting in there and has rotted out the wood it screws into. I don't recall those screws on the 2002 SCAMP we had, but there may be year to year variations on how the inside blocks are held in place.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My 1999 Scamp had wood screws from the outside holding up the upper cabinets in the rear of the trailer. The screws worked their way loose and leaked .I installed a slightly larger screw ,coating the threads with glue plus a new washer cup with sealants . It stopped the leak and stayed tight for the 2 years we owned the trailer
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #6

New York
Registry
But what I'm asking is this factory spec? My trailer is a 2012. The screws are not holding up cabinets. Possibly for that wood block that dinette table anchors into on inside of trailer? One is corroded and spinning. I know there's bolts for spare tire but this seems odd to me.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #7

New York
Registry
Maybe I have not been clear. These screws are on outside of trailer, right on either side of spare tire. Not in interior.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Maybe I have not been clear. These screws are on outside of trailer, right on either side of spare tire. Not in interior.

There's a quick and easy answer to your question. Call 800-346-4962, ask for Kent. I'm sure he can answer your question.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #9

New York
Registry
I planned on calling scamp but there's a whole bunch of knowledgeable people here. Kent won't be In tomorrow and I could get to work as it's the weekend. I work 60 plus hours a week

Old 09-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
I planned on calling scamp but there's a whole bunch of knowledgeable people here. Kent won't be In tomorrow and I could get to work as it's the weekend. I work 60 plus hours a week

Good luck. Beware of bad advise from this site.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #11

I've READ here on the forums where the spare tire bolts to the inside weren't sealed properly...
Old 09-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Wendy,
Since none of the most knowledgeable folks have not responded to your question, I am going to go out on a limb and chime in.
I don't believe that currently produced Scamps use screws in the area you are describing. The only thing that I can think is that Scamp previously used screws from the outside to support the wood reinforcement for the spare tire mount, or for some kind of table bracket. But bear in mind that is my best guess.

Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
Old 09-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:

I just went out and checked. I have two somethings about 2.5" below the belly band and just to either side of the spare tire. I didn't take off cap to see what was there.

If that goes into the wood like think it does you'll need to put something in the hole to prevent further rotting of the wood. There's stuff on the home repair market for things like that. Once you re-establish the screws you'll need something to make sure they're sealed. Be sure to put the ring and beauty cap back on with a bit of sealer inside the cap. That's what I would do.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Well, that shows how little expertise I have. I do not recall any caps below the belly band on my 5er.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Well, that shows how little expertise I have. I do not recall any caps below the belly band on my 5er.

I didn't think my 13' did either. But for once I was wrong
Maybe only they're only on the 13'.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:23 AM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wendy,

I've taken off every cap on the out side of my Scamp and have never seen a single screw.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:31 AM   #17

Name: Ben and Janie
Trailer: 2013 16foot Scamp tug 2003 Ford Ranger
Kentucky
I found water in this area looked 2 days for leak found that the city water hookup fitting was loose on the inside of camper tighten nut on water line no more leak
Ben and Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #18

Is it POSSIBLE those screws are holding the table hardware to the trailer? And since it's right there by the spare tire, they used screws, instead of rivets, because they had to go through the piece of plywood that's fiberglass to the body (on the inside) for the spare?
Old 09-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #19

New York
Registry
I did find a thread from 2013 whereby folks were talking about this. Yes, screws are supposed to be there and they do support the glassed in piece of wood for the dinette brackets inside. But that one on the right is corroded and spinning, so I'm going to replace it just the same. Trying to figure out what I should use as a sealant on top of screw, and what if anything, behind plastic washer. I've always used butyl putty tape behind plastic washers before riveting, and I do have proflex sealant here a the house. Not sure if I should go ahead and get larger diameter SS screw. Also not sure if I should coat screw heads with any type of glue or not, such as gorilla or something.

If this doesn't solve the leak issue I'm going to do it anyway since PO told me Scamp table cracked in accident and he had to replace and tighten down new screws inside for table brackets.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #20

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
SS. Yes I would

Tags
scamp