New Dometic Fridge Vent Leaking?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #1

Name: Kees
Trailer: Boler 1700
British Columbia
New Dometic Fridge Vent Leaking??

Hi Folks,

I am currently wrapping up a rebuild of a 17 foot boler and installed the new style plastic refrigerator vents as seen on scamps webpage:

Appliances : Dometic Radius Corner Lower Vent (RM2410, RM2610)

My issue is that these vents leak like crazy in the rain, I am quite confused as it seems to be just a really poor design. With the rounded contours of the trailer the vents are tipped slightly inwards as they are on the top half of the shell which further worsens the issue.

I am wondering if there are any others out there who have had similar issues and if anyone had advice on how to solve the problem, the only information I found in searching the forums is a remark about a "rain guard" that dometic makes for said vents.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Kees
KeesV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:18 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Is it leaking between (1) the wall and the frame or (2) between the frame and the door itself?

If (1) What did you seal the frame to the wall with and how many screws are around the perimeter.
If (2) Is the perimeter of the frame perfectly flat or did installation force a curve into it?

An "as installed" pic might help.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #3

British Columbia
The vent is leaking through edges where the inner access door releases from the vents outer frame. There is no leaking between the frame and fiberglass, it was installed using butyl to seal and rivets which hold it flat. There is no bowing in the frame due to the body curve. I am away from the trailer but will take a picture when I next get a chance.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have the same or similar Dometic Vents on my Casita > We had a thunderstorm this morning with heavy rains (+ 2" ) and strong winds. I removed both vent cover and found little evidence of moisture . No it was not bone dry ! but there was no puddles on the floor below the vent . I do not know how one would build a small, inexpensive vent that is 100% water tight and still provides proper ventilation . I am not dismissing your problem but leaks like crazy has many definitions . I hope you find a solution
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #5

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Pennsylvania
I have the same issue with my new access door in my Boler 1700. Any resolutions? I will post a picture shortly.
stperic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #6

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
I installed a similar style aluminum vent in my scamp recently and I had some leaking when it rained until I installed foam weather stripping around the inside of the opening. That solved my problem completely.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
You may want to consider installing a section of flexible RV gutter channel over each vent. This is a mod many RV'ers have done who have had water intrusion problems at their fridge vents, windows, and elsewhere on their rigs.
Here's one example, but there are several other styles and brands out there as well. It should at least give you an idea of something that may meet your needs.

Link: Essential Products RV & Marine - EZE RV Gutters
(If you do decide on this option, you'll want the off white, not the ultra white colored material.)
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #8

British Columbia
Hey There,

I thought I would follow up on my query and let you all know how I solved the issue. As you can see from the photos the issue with the vent design is that there is nothing to block water from seeping down and through the vent as the bottom has no ledge. Also with the fact that the upper shell of the boler is slightly tilted inwards this causes water to flow more easily into the space behind the fridge.

In order to solve this issue I cut and shaped strips of plexiglass and glued them unto the bottom of the vent frame to fill in the empty space. Now the water flows down the edges and hits the plexi glass instead of seeping inward.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2972.jpg   IMG_2978.jpg  

Old 11-09-2014, 11:56 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeesV View Post
Hey There,

I thought I would follow up on my query and let you all know how I solved the issue. As you can see from the photos the issue with the vent design is that there is nothing to block water from seeping down and through the vent as the bottom has no ledge. Also with the fact that the upper shell of the boler is slightly tilted inwards this causes water to flow more easily into the space behind the fridge.

In order to solve this issue I cut and shaped strips of plexiglass and glued them unto the bottom of the vent frame to fill in the empty space. Now the water flows down the edges and hits the plexi glass instead of seeping inward.
When I look at that vent it appears that it was not designed to be mounted the way you have it mounted. I believe that is should be mounted 90° clockwise. That would put the holes in the top of the ribs and no water could get in. You might look at the manufacturer of the vent and see if they have a replacement that designed to be mounted the way you have it mounted. I can certainly see how water would run in with it mounted like you have it shown.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The vent on my Casita appears to be the same as yours . As Byron has noted my vent is mounted 90 deg opposite of yours ( The long dimension horizontal) I agree with Byron that you need a vent cover designed to be mounted in the vertical position with the vent holes facing down ( Unless the photo needs to be rotated 90 deg to show the actual mounting position)
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Agree with the others that if the vent has been mounted sideways (and its not just that the photo needs to be rotated) it would account for why it is/was leaking.

I can see why you may have wanted it that way as it may be hard to find just one vent that covers the rear outside of the fridge. Many of our trailers (including the Bigfoot 17) have two vents on the outside of the trailer for the fridge. One for the upper venting area and a bottom one for accessing the controls. There is a photo of the typical fridge vent normally seen on Bigfoot 17.
Attached Images

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Dometic usually specifies using two vents to achieve proper airflow from bottom to top when the refrigerator is operating. If you didn't have the bottom vent the air flow would be stagnant and there would substantially less cooling.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #13

British Columbia
Yikes yes the photos uploaded sideways. Vent is mounted correctly as the Dometic label should appear upright also its quite apparent haha. Try this photo, you can see that the bottom ledge isnt designed to stop water from seeping in.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2975.jpg  

Tags
fridge