New door seal from Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: scamp
Texas
New door seal from Scamp

Has anybody replaced their old door seal with one of Scamp's new ones?
I bought one - I haven't stuck it on yet, but just looking, it seems it will form a kink at each corner if I stick it on in one piece. I don't think they intend for it to be cut at the corners. Anybody have any experience with this? Also, am I correct that the seal goes on the actual door and not around the entryway. Currently, I have no seal on the door and a foam seal around the entry.
Thanks!
mgully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #2

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
I have a 2015 13 foot with the new seal. Here is a photo of how the factory did the corners. Hope this helps your project.
Attached Thumbnails
DoorSeal.jpg  
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #3

Minnesota
And here is a photo of going around the door top.
Attached Thumbnails
Seal2.jpg  
Old 06-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #4

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Washington
New door seal from Scamp

We did ours the same way, laid it around the rounded corners at the top of the door and cut a separate strip for the bottom of the door. Seems to be working really well.

The seal goes on the door frame, not the actual door. You have to remove the old foam gasket, making sure to get all of the adhesive off. That was the worst part of the process but it was definitely worth it, the new seal is so much better!
ScampingInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:18 AM   #5

I put mine on the door as well. There were no kinks in the corner. Made a really nice seal. Highly recommend it

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Dennis Hannaburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:49 AM   #6

Name: Eric
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13"
Utah
I installed one as well. No kinks in the corner. 100 percent improvement from the old seal. The door will be a little harder to close and latch, however, when you go inside the trailer, no light comes into the seem of the door. Highly recommend it
UtahCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
For some reason, I'm not seeing the photos Rich & Val posted. Normally I have no problem with photos on this forum, ut have tried two different browsers and can't get these. I'm considering making the seal change on my 13' Scamp as well and the photos are of great interest. Anyone have a suggestion for solving my technical issue with the images?

thanks
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
David I have had the same problem as you since the forum switched to the new server a couple of days ago. Using Google chrome on a MacBook Pro. Have tried several things to correct but so far no go.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:11 PM   #9

Minnesota
My pics were there before the recent update. I'll try posting them again.
Attached Thumbnails
DoorSeal.jpg   Seal2.jpg  

Old 06-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I see pix. MacBook Air and Firefox.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #11

Registry
Thanks Rich G. I see the new ones you posted but not the ones posted prior. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:00 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
I'm now seeing them as well. Thanks for re-posting.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #13

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
I see at the bottom of the door that the seal goes straight across the threshold. On my Scamp 16, the threshold is about 2 inches higher than the bottom of the door, leaving a bit of the rat fur and the bottom door edge lower than the threshold.

How does the bottom of your door fit to the gasket on the threshold?

thx,

Chuck
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #14

Minnesota
Chuck-

My 2015 13 footer came with a kick plate across the bottom of the door. The bottom seal seems to contact that.
Attached Thumbnails
DoorBottom.jpg  
Old 06-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
While the new door gasket is excellent by any reasonable standard, it is best to use a different material for the threshold.
A square solid closed cell foam material works best for the threshold.
The one shown below on the threshold was installed more than ten years ago. The new door gasket is so pretty, I may replace the threshold gasket when I get around to it.

Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0030.JPG   DSCF0027.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post
I see at the bottom of the door that the seal goes straight across the threshold. On my Scamp 16, the threshold is about 2 inches higher than the bottom of the door, leaving a bit of the rat fur and the bottom door edge lower than the threshold.

How does the bottom of your door fit to the gasket on the threshold?

thx,

Chuck
What yours sounds like is the same as mine and most others I have seen - including the ones in the photos on this thread. There is a little bit of the bottom of the door exposed.

Mine has been like that for about 24 years now - lots of trips in the rain & off pavement with me in the past 8 years and its not been an issue. Some people have put a piece of metal sheeting on the bottom of the door to protect it. I considered doing it but as its not been an issue & the bottom rat fur has stayed pretty clean (I vacuum it when cleaning out the trailer) so I haven't bothered as yet.

Member Darral T. posted some photos on Flicker of a kick plate he added to the bottom of his Scamp door to protect the rat fur.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:12 PM   #17

Washington
Ah, I see. Is that kick plate made of a hard plastic? There was a bit of something similar on my door, but it didn't go all the way across. Is the kick plate installed on top of the rat fur?

I put a gasket on the door edge that I saw talked about somewhere, but I like this solution better. I may ask Scamp to send me the new version that replaces that open-cell foam that was on mine, along with a piece of the kick-plate material.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post
Is the kick plate installed on top of the rat fur?
yes it is. I think he used a thin metal to make it.

Perhaps what you have is what Scamp is now adding to new trailer doors as I did read here not so long ago that someone said they were adding a kick plate to the bottom of the door on new trailers.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:18 PM   #19

Minnesota
Chuck-

The kick plate goes all the way across. It is made of a hard plastic or vinyl. It fits over the rat fur and under the door edge trim.
Attached Thumbnails
KickPlate.jpg  
Old 07-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #20

Washington
poor door fit

I finally got around to ordering and installing a new door gasket from Scamp. It went on just fine; the hardest part was getting the old goo out of the recess for the door. In a previous attempt, I had ordered a slightly different gasket from somewhere that went over the edge of the door. That didn't work so well, so this was my second attempt.

In looking closely at the door, notice that the door curve is not quite the same as the side of the Scamp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp door fit.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	86719

There is enough of a gap at the top of the door to get a couple fingers through, and I see daylight at the bottom corners. If it weren't for the aluminum eyebrow, water would run down the inside of the door. I imagine a toe kick will help the bottom corners a bit, which is my next project. But that won't help the top of the door, which is rather extereme.

Is there a way to adjust the hinges or the door to make it bow just a bit more to fit into the opening?

Thanks,

Chuck

Tags
scamp