New floor - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #1

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Texas
Well...I finally pulled out the sub floor in Tillie (84 Perris Pacer), some cussing and sore muscles!! Now I find there is more floor . This seems to be 1/4 plywood that has been glassed (resin and a tiny bit of fiber)to death. Parts of it are pretty enough, but parts are black (ewwwww). This is under the resin - question is........ do I try to pull that up also . I'd really like the answer to be - just add some resin, I'm scared!! To pull the rest up I would probably have to remove everything, cabinet, fridg etc.
Can anyone help??!!
Vicki

Old 01-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #2

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
If you've got black wood under a resined/fiberglassed area, then dollars to doughnuts you've got rotten wood. Sorry

I suppose there is the rare case where someone painted something black before they resined, but it's not likely.

If you'd like to post a photo, we could have a look; but I would say you've gone this far, now just do it right. I look at it this way: This sucks right now, but six months from now, is it really going to matter if it took more work and time vs. knowing you have rot lurking under there? For me the answer is that the extra work is done and over with, whereas if I had left it I would never be able to forget about it. Each person is different in that sense though, and I'm sure many would prefer to get the job done and would not worry about it. Now you have to figure out where you fall on that scale (although your posts tells me you are more towards my end).

Raya

Old 01-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Nest Caravans
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Well...I finally pulled out the sub floor in Tillie (84 Perris Pacer), some cussing and sore muscles!! Now I find there is more floor . This seems to be 1/4 plywood that has been glassed (resin and a tiny bit of fiber)to death. Parts of it are pretty enough, but parts are black (ewwwww). This is under the resin - question is........ do I try to pull that up also . I'd really like the answer to be - just add some resin, I'm scared!! To pull the rest up I would probably have to remove everything, cabinet, fridg etc.
Can anyone help??!!
Vicki

Vickie, I concur with Raya.

I'm working on my '82 PP right now and have had to deal with some floor problems myself. Here's the deal:

The PP's shell completely seals the interior from the outside elements, top, bottom and sides. So if there are any leaks of any kind from windows or the top vent or anywhere else, this water eventually settles on, in and under the plywood subfloor with no way out. That's why the wood rots over time. So, no matter what, you gotta get rid of (or dry out) any and all wet wood you find in your trailer.

If your lucky enough to have furniture modules that are screwed in, it's best to remove them so you can get to the floor more easily.

But in my case, everything is 'glassed in, so this is what I'm doing.

I draw nice sharp rectangles around the damaged wood. Then carefully cut out all rotten wood with a properly set skilsaw and my new Multi-tool. I replace that cut out rectangle with new ply (at proper thickness) gluing it down with construction adhesive. I use clamps and heavy weights to get it flat.

When I get my "patches" secured, I'll putty any gaps, then coat it all with a quality two-part epoxy paint. When dry, I'm gonna cover the ENTIRE floor with a fresh sheet of 1/4" of plywood, again using adhesive, plus short (5/8") screws into the original plywood below. This new sheet then will get another coat of the epoxy paint, which hopefully should prevent any future water infiltration into the floor, and make a very clean surface for my new finish flooring.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #4

Name: Brandy
I agree with Raya.....do it right the first time, then you won't be revisiting this project anytime soon.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #5

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Texas
Okay, so Raya hit that part of my brain that knew what I really needed to do- thanks alot!!! I had read about how cool the multi tools are, so...I don't need much of an arm twist to buy tools - I love them! Can't wait to try it out this morning. I decided to start with a little piece to see how easy/difficult it would be to get this "other" floor up. Seems it is the BODY ! I guess the resin may not have been dry when the plywood was set, and it took on the wood appearance- even has knot holes! It was just a piece about 2"x5", so now I had better get some cloth and resin to fix it. Thank heavens fiberglass is easily repaired.
Robert - I told you I learn things the hard way!!
Vicki
Old 01-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #6

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Ooh, new MultiTool.....

If you have to "pry" any half-stuck, half-rotten stuff out, the scraper blade can be handy.

I would love a new MultiMaster to show up at my door

You're going to feel great when it's done, and done *right*

Plus, unless you are going for a perfect finish (say, on the outside of the shell), fiberglassing is not difficult. Just follow the instructions like a recipe.

Raya