New Guy,New to me 13' 1974 Ventura - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #1

Name: darryl
Trailer: 1974Ventura
B.C.
New Guy,New to me 13' 1974 Ventura

Hello any fellow Ventura owners around?
Darryl from the beautiful okanagan valley of b.c.just recently picked up a 1974 Ventura.no pics yet,but heres the ad:
http://www.usedokanagan.com/classified-ad/ventura-trailer_17823504
spent a few days cleaning etc,and a few hrs figuring out my tail lights.All original interior etc.all appliance tested,and working.
I have just 1 question to begin with,a question regarding the front bunk,i have two adjustable poles under the front bench,not sure if their for a homemade awning,or for the bunk.anyways,wondering if anyone has pics of the original bunk setup.i have no extra piece of plywood,or and mounting type brackets on the front wall area,& i can see no sign of anything ever being mounted their.any pics and description on how it mounts would be great.thks Darryl
1974ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Can't answer your question, But just wanted to say Welcome! Congrat's on your purchase! Enjoy it!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
welcome aboard, I have a 76 ventura but can't tell you much about the bunk bed, mine didn"t come with it when I got it. The manual is in the document center to the left and does say there should be a plywood back to the front bench that should be hinged upwards. As for your taillights, check the grounds as the the ground wire is just wedged under the galvanized taillight plate. I pulled the wire out from under the plate and screwed it into the plate instead.

Watch out for rotten wood in the door, mine was almost totally rotted below the door latch and required a total rebuild.

Fiberglass RV - Document Center - 1976 Ventura Manual

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ura-46974.html
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #4

B.C.
thks for the reply dudley,i did get the wiring sorted.im a little soft around the door as well,not to bad but.......what did you have to do to repair it????
Old 09-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #5

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We have a 73 Ventura that is going up for sale. Hubby just hauled the bunk parts out of the shed to return to the camper - so I took a couple of minutes to take sone photos for you.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP6915_edited-1.jpg   IMGP6916_edited-1.jpg  

IMGP6917_edited-1.jpg  
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #6

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
It seems I managed to attach some photos - and lost some text!

Basically we have a piece of plywood with a cutout to avoid it sitting on the stove top. There are two legs with 'hooks' to hold it up and a safety rail bit that slots into the top of the legs. The whole thing attaches to the wall with a long, strong piano type hinge.

Hope this helps - and welcome to this site - and enjoy your Ventura!!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #7

B.C.
thks alot for taking the time hazel,looks like im missing the whole setup.Or possibly mine didnt come equipped with it????
Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #8

Alberta
Registry
when you say you have soft spots, is it the floor or the door. The floor in these animals is just cheap 1/2" plywood but here is the problem, its been laid in while the fiberglass was setting up= pain in the you know what to get out. You can get a product for wood rot that will stiffen it up but you have to remove the floor covering. If the soft spot is near the door, also check the angle iron under that area as mine had a broken weld.

The door is a real problem as any leaks in the window will cause alot of rot inside the door and its a hard to find size. I made a new on from an interior mahogany door cut down to size and then covered with white Formica (not the best method but probably just as good as the original) The big problem is the door must be the same thickness as the original.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #9

Alberta
Registry
forgot to say that once the flooring is up, I replaced it with floating floor lino that IS NOT glued down so if there is any water problems you can lift it to let it dry out . The nice thing is you can sometimes get remnants for 1/2 price , mine cost about $25
Old 09-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #10

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1975 ventura 400 towed by a jeep grand cherokee sometimes, and an ugly 89 dodge truck other times.
Alberta
Registry
Congratulations on your ventura! I've had mine since spring, and I love it.

I also have rot near the door, but it wasn't too bad, so I pulled up the lino, let it dry out, and covered it with KILZ to preserve the wood. There are lots of flooring options, but something removable is a must, as the floor will always find a way to get wet. Just a few weeks back, hail smashed my roof vent, and the interior was then soaked with rain! I've been using a carpet, which i've cut to fit, and can be taken out, dried, and put back in.
streetvan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ventura