new guy - old problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #1

Name: Taylor
Trailer: 2016 19' Escape
Idaho
Registry
new guy - old problem

Long time lurker ... first time poster. I acquired my 16' sd scamp last fall ... used it one night last week and head out tomorrow for our first week-long adventure. I have a small problem that I'm sure has been encountered and solved before ... though I can't seem to find it in my search of past posts. The metal "handle" that you grasp to slide open the windows ... it has come off the glass. What's the best way to reattach it so that it stays? I'll try to attach a picture of the item I'm referring to. I have learned volumes from you kind folks already and look forward to years of fgrv adventures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4669.JPG  
gudmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I accidentally yanked the aluminum handle off my UHaul. I glued it back on with windshield bonding urethane. I paid $10 for a tube, but you might be lucky and got to a glass place and have them sell you just a squirt.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft 2000 Scamp
Great question Taylor, I had the same problem, used double back tape inside of handle. I do not think that is the best fix, as I have had to do it a couple of times, so I hope someone has a more permanent solution.
Steve M K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I had exactly the same thing happen to the only slider on my trailer the door window. There should be a piece of rubber in the gap that the glass was in. Take it out and put it on the glass where it came off. Then using a mallet carefully pound the metal piece onto the rubber piece.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Taylor, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here.

Interesting problem. Although you're getting answers, I do believe you're the first person to ASK the question. Whatever you do, please post your solution and let us know how it works. It will help others in the future with the same problem.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #6

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
I don't know what it is called, but I had to replace the sash on the tailgate of my old full size jimmy. The glass place I went to for advice sold me for just a few bucks, a strip of rubber that goes between the glass and metal. You tape it to the glass, rub it with oil and quickly slip the metal sash over it, the swelling rubber then holds everything in place.

The RV service center may even be able to help you out with that.
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #7

Name: Taylor
Trailer: 2016 19' Escape
Idaho
Registry
thank you

I appreciate the suggestions ... and will pursue the solution when we return ... Death Valley, here we come, Scamp and all!
gudmut is offline   Reply With Quote