New Guy With a Few Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft
hi guys, i'm new here, and i just bought a 1995 16ft scamp that i haven't seen yet. i know that's crazy, but it was $2k and the pictures were plentiful. hopefully any work it might need will be within it's value.

questions..
#1. it looks to have a wood interior, does that weigh more than than the standard?
#2. what is a good brake controller to install in my van(i'm assuming the 16ft would have brakes)?
#3. is that a 2" ball?
#4. what things do i need to check out before i tow it 6 hours home?
i hope that's not too much for one post.
thanks!

sean
Attached Thumbnails
P1010003.jpg   P1010004.jpg  

P1010005.jpg   P10100042.jpg  

sean m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Great find and a good price. Check tires and spare also wheel bearings. Make sure tail lights work also.
Nice rig.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Looks like a nice trailer! Great price too!

CindyL
Old 09-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Look great and a great deal! Enjoy!
I would check the frame for any cracks but you probably are ok there.
The deal was a good one and any problems would be worth dealing with.

pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Here is a buyer's check list from the document center on the left.

I know you already bought it, but it will still give you ideas what to look at.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/manuals.html?c...erglass-manuals

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
#1. it looks to have a wood interior, does that weigh more than than the standard?
#2. what is a good brake controler to install in my van(i'm assuming the 16ft would have brakes)?
#3. is that a 2" ball?
#1.
#2. Tekonsha PRODIGY
#3.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
> #4. what things do i need to check out before i tow it 6 hours home?

Here are the main things:

What condition are the tires in?
  • If the trailer's been sitting for a long time the tire sidewalls may have cracked, and a sidewall failure blowout may not be far behind.
  • Are the tires inflated correctly? If you have tow-trailer rated tires you should inflate them to what the trailer VIN sticker suggests, typically about 45 lbs. If they're not trailer-rated, inflate them to 3o lbs or just under the maximum inflation pressure listed on the tire side wall.
What condition is are the frame and hitch in?
  • Does the hitch latch stay down properly? (Bring a 4"x1/4" bolt and matching wing nut with you to secure the hitch latch.)
  • Are there cracks in the frame? Carefully inspect the trailer tongue and the first 18" of frame where it tucks under the trailer for cracks. If you find cracks that run all the way through you should have the frame welded before you go more than a very few miles.
  • Are the safety chains attached? If not stop past the hardware store and buy some chain, hooks and mending links. The hardware store guy can cut them to length for you.
  • Does the hitch ball on your TV (tow vehicle) match the trailer? (If not, you may need to drop past Walmart for the correct ball *AND* a huge wrench to change them out.
Do all the lights work?
  • Hook up to your trailer and check the running lights, brake lights, and turn signals.
  • Problems with the lights can often be fixed by replacing the bulb. If that doesn't do it, make sure the trailer is unplugged from your TV and use a small bit of sandpaper to clean any accumulated rust out of the bulb sockets. Beyond that you may need a multi-tester and some time to figure out where the fault is . . . and remember, it could be in your tow vehicle, too.
  • If your car's tow connector and the trailer's don't match you can probably find an adapter at Walmart.
What condition are the axle spindles and brakes in?
  • Pull the trailer out with your TV. Is it pulling smoothly? If it feels like the brakes are on and you can't tow it, your first stop should be a trailer maintainance place.
  • Drive for 5 miles or so, then carefully feel the wheel hubs on the trailer. They can be warm . . . but not hot. If they're hot the wheel bearings need to be greased or replaced.
Can you see around the trailer? You need to be able to see down the sides of the trailer. If you can't see someone standing at the back corners of your trailer you need tow mirrors.

If you have trailer brakes, follow the instructions that came with your brake controller for testing and calibrating your trailer brakes.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
hi guys, i'm new here, and i just bought a 1995 16ft scamp that i haven't seen yet. i know that's crazy, but it was $2k and the pictures were plentiful. hopefully any work it might need will be within it's value.

questions..
#2. what is a good brake controller to install in my van(i'm assuming the 16ft would have brakes)?
#3. is that a 2" ball?
#4. what things do i need to check out before i tow it 6 hours home?
i hope that's not too much for one post.
thanks!

sean
1] Weight difference atributable to cabinet material is negligible,However, the deluxe tends to have more options and more cabinets which of course add weight.

2]Prodigy

3] YES

4] be sure your TV has an RV plug that works and check the lights.
inspect tires and check pressure,When you get it home you will want to establish a maintenance base line by repacking the wheel bearings and checking and adjusting the brakes.
If you are going to hire it done, and have the time, you might as well have it done at a local shop before bringing it home.
BTW; The deal is incredible!very incredible!, so check the floors, title etc.
If it is legit, then you can afford a LOT of repairs before even approaching fair value!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #9

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Don't know what size your van is but before I knew any better, I towed a Scamp 16 all over out west without a brake controller and never gave it a thought. Thankfully didn't have any problems but I would not advise.
Biggest thing you have to worry about is the wheels/bearings but if it has been used recently you're probably fine.
I sure like that DELUXE 16.
Take it real easy for awhile until you get used to towing. Should be easy.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #10

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
What kind of van are you pulling it with? Great buy on the trailer.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #11

Quote:
What kind of van are you pulling it with? Great buy on the trailer.
i definitely knew it was back there. for all 400 miles
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_trip_2009_003.jpg   scamp_trip_2009_019.jpg  

scamp_trip_2009_011.jpg  
Old 10-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #12

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Wow, congratulations to get such a steal. I cannot believe you just paid 2K! Looks nice!
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #13

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Congrats on getting the camper home successfully

I have a Vanagon question for you: What is your Vanagon rated to tow? (Should be in the owner's manual.) I had looked at one years ago, but passed on it because it was only rated to tow (if I remember correctly) 1,000#

I ask for two reasons:

1) I'm curious if they made later or different model Vanagons with higher tow ratings

2) I'm slightly concerned that the trailer may be over your rating, and if you are a new trailer owner, you might not realize it. I think the 16' Scamp Deluxes weigh around 2500# empty, don't they?

(But don't take this wrong -- I realize that you may have a Vanagon with a higher tow rating and may have it all figured out already )

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Congrats on getting the camper home successfully

I have a Vanagon question for you: What is your Vanagon rated to tow? (Should be in the owner's manual.) I had looked at one years ago, but passed on it because it was only rated to tow (if I remember correctly) 1,000#

I ask for two reasons:

1) I'm curious if they made later or different model Vanagons with higher tow ratings

2) I'm slightly concerned that the trailer may be over your rating, and if you are a new trailer owner, you might not realize it. I think the 16' Scamp Deluxes weigh around 2500# empty, don't they?

(But don't take this wrong -- I realize that you may have a Vanagon with a higher tow rating and may have it all figured out already )

Raya
the vanagon weighs around 3500 lbs with the engine and tranny over the rear wheels, making it extremely stable when towing. i have a south african style in-line 4 cylinder engine(slightly more powerful and much more durable). it still only has about 100 hp. from what i've read, the trailer weighs in about 2000 lbs empty. the average speed on the trip was 50 mph(30 uphill and 60 down). with the trailer brakes it's solid as a rock, but SLOW!!!

it would probably be more practical if i were to trade the 16' deluxe in on a 13' standard. it is pretty neat in all it's deluxieness though
Old 10-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #15

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Sean,

I was asking what the manufacturer's (VW) rated towing capacity is for your bus. At one point in time I really wanted a Vanagon, but I had thought they weren't an option (because I had in my mind - perhaps erroneously - that the tow rating was 1,000 lbs).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #16

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
First off, congrats on that screaming deal you got on that Scamp. Second, as a VW hobbiest, I gotta say that was pretty ambitious to tow. It's not completely out of it ability, but it is at the upper limit. By the way, I really love the pictures of your Vanagon and your scamp together on the highway. To answer Raya's question, here is some info I found on Vanagon towing capacities. I couldn't find any info on the 1.9l or 2.1l opposing 4 cylinder vs. the inline 4 that Sean has. If I had to guess, I'd say it was good for a few hundred more. Also, these figures are for the water cooled motors, not the air cooled ones.

Maximum braked trailer weight - 900kg (2,000 lb)
Maximum unbraked trailer weight - 600kg (1,320 lb)
Maximum tongue weight - 75kg (165 lb)
Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Hi Sean,

I was asking what the manufacturer's (VW) rated towing capacity is for your bus. At one point in time I really wanted a Vanagon, but I had thought they weren't an option (because I had in my mind - perhaps erroneously - that the tow rating was 1,000 lbs).

Raya
i don't know what the stock van tow rating was. i do know that the factory tow package was only rated at 1000 lbs with 150 lbs tongue.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Just drive safely and keep in mind that you should avoid HUGE hills/mountains and high speeds. On nice rolling terrain, a steady 55 mph. should be OK. Also, don't expect to stop too fast. Always plan ahead and drive defensively. Those VW vans aren't known for agility, but they are really fun to drive on a camping trip! If you hear the engine pulling too hard, slow down and corner carefully. You should have many happy miles ahead of you. (Also, you'll probably never go down to a 13' because it's so nice to have the extra room in the trailer.)

Here's a picture of our 16' UHaul VT with our TV, a 2003 VW Eurovan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1234.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	23955
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Man, you "stold"that trailer. I'd be watching in my rear view mirror for the local sheriff!!