New Mattress for 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #1

Name: Chuck
Trailer: 2018 Escape
Texas
New Mattress for 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe?

We would like to here any feedback for those of you who have purchased a mattress from Southern Mattress or Rocky Mountain Mattress (or any other manufacturer). We have a 4" memory foam topper over our seat cushions but have decided that we want to leave the bed down permanently and want to purchase a mattress made for the Casita. We don't want to spend money and then not like the mattress. I am 6'1 and 250 lbs and my wife is 5' and 110 lbs and she does not like to roll into me! As you can imagine we love a good sleep! Thanks! Any feedback would be appreciated!
Chuck G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Oregon
We got a Southern Mattress this summer after getting our Freedom Deluxe, and its the best money spent so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
NBOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We bought a Southern Mattress for our Casita SD shortly after we picked it up from the factory and it was money well spent.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I am in the middle of an upgrade project for my travel trailer...same idea...replace the cushions with a real mattress.
Start by measuring the available space and then go to a mattress dealer and explore the available sizes. I decided I only need a mattress and no box spring.
I discovered that a standard "full-sized" mattress would work just fine.
The dealer also told me custom sizes were available from some manufacturers.

Taking this approach allows you to check out many different selections and find something that works best for you.

Good Luck ! And Happy Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #5

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
South Carolina
Completely Satisfied

We purchased two mattresses in Feb.2016 from Southern Mattress for our 17 Independence and could not have been more satisfied! Having spent about 15 weeks in our trailer last summer, it was home and we wanted the comforts of home. Neither my wife (who can be fairly picky) or I (225 lbs.) ever spent an uncomfortable night. These two mattresses are as good or better than anything we have in our home. The workmanship is first class.

Additionally, Ann at Southern Mattress was a blessing to work with. We ordered a custom made (to fit our trailer) 5+2 mattress and had it delivered directly to the factory so we could embark for our first adventure from the factory. They were there waiting for us as promised.

I don't think you will be disappointed. We traveled the first 5 weeks with the custom mattresses on top of factory foam mattresses. This was not especially convenient as the beds were extra high, but we off loaded the factory mattresses once we were home and now all is well!
Jerrymcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #6

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
We have a 17 SD and our Southern Mattress was delivered to Rice TX and installed before we even hitched up. We have never experienced anything but a wonderful night's sleep in our Wee Cottage.
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #7

Texas
Would we need a box spring as well or just put the table down and set the mattress on top of the wood? We have a heater and don't want to block the intake for the furnace. How high are the mattresses from Southern Mattress?
Old 02-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #8

Georgia
Registry
If you leave the rear dinette set up as a bed, then you just lay the "custom fit Southern Mattress" directly on the wood. Some folks even store the original "wood" table top and cut a piece of plywood to fit. Southern Mattress offers several different thickness, but the most popular is called "5+2" and is almost 10 inches thick.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #9

North Carolina
Question: What is the net delivered cost for this product ?
Old 02-08-2016, 01:48 PM   #10

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha D View Post
We bought a Southern Mattress for our Casita SD shortly after we picked it up from the factory and it was money well spent.
....and how much did you spend?
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:42 PM   #11

Georgia
Registry
As I remember, we paid about $600 for the mattress. Shipping to Rice TX was about $100.
We bought a new foam mattress locally for our stationary house and Southern Mattress was a much better bargain. But I would call the nice ladies at Southern Mattress (800.227.8701) for current pricing.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #12

Texas
Do you cover the 10" mattress with a full or queen sheet?
Old 02-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #13

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
Thanks Pete! Was there any difficulty in getting the SC mattress into the trailer? I thought maybe that's why you had the factory install it.
tom
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #14

Georgia
Registry
We had the mattress shipped to the factory so that it would be available for our first night in the new Casita. Also, I think that it was a little cheaper to ship to a business rather than to a residence. My wife tells me that full size sheets fit pretty good. Some folks have custom fitted sheets made.
Moving the foam mattress in and out of the Casita is not much trouble because it bends easily.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
We have a Southern Mattress product in our 16' Scamp and, when we bought our 19' Scamp, that was our first modification. I'm 6' 4" / 270 lbs and have been quite satisfied with the mattresses in both campers. No complaints from the missus either.

In full disclosure, we live a couple of miles from their factory and know many of the staff well. They're good people.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:09 PM   #16

Name: Wayne
Trailer: 2006 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck G. View Post
We would like to here any feedback for those of you who have purchased a mattress from Southern Mattress or Rocky Mountain Mattress (or any other manufacturer). We have a 4" memory foam topper over our seat cushions but have decided that we want to leave the bed down permanently and want to purchase a mattress made for the Casita. We don't want to spend money and then not like the mattress. I am 6'1 and 250 lbs and my wife is 5' and 110 lbs and she does not like to roll into me! As you can imagine we love a good sleep! Thanks! Any feedback would be appreciated!
I am confused. I have a 17 foot Liberty. I read where most of you are talking about a double bed. I thought Casita speaks of the bed being a queen. What is it? Is a short Queen this double you are talking about? With the table down is that a double? When you add the next piece of wood, does that make it the Queen?
Wayne Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Holder View Post
I am confused. I have a 17 foot Liberty. I read where most of you are talking about a double bed. I thought Casita speaks of the bed being a queen. What is it? Is a short Queen this double you are talking about? With the table down is that a double? When you add the next piece of wood, does that make it the Queen?
The mattress in my 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe is a standard 54" full size mattress. There is no way a 60" Queen size mattress would fit in my trailer unless I did some major modifications. I must have missed it but I never saw any mention of a Queen size bed on the Casita Website.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #18

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
This is the description of the Liberty from their site
"With two dining areas, Liberty Deluxe can quickly go from daytime retreat to a double bed, two small single beds or a large king-size bed."
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:55 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
And from the description of the Spirit model:
"...you can leave the rear dinette in the double bed position permanently and use the side dinette for eating."
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #20

North Carolina
My final selection for a sleep upgrade was a memory foam mattress from the Internet seller..WAYSIDE..best price, excellent quality, fast service, free shipping right to my door. Measure space available and search the wayside website. The memory foam mattresses are sent compressed and are available in several thicknesses...I selected an eight inch thick unit that fir my camper in the "Full" size.

Cost was about...$235.

Tags
casita