New member, no camper but many questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: interested
Wisconsin
New member, no camper but many questions

Within the next few years I plan on going full time/female with my boxer. I have a 2011 Escape V6 and am wondering if it will tow the 16 footer w/ bath option. Is it possible to have an oven put in or is it better to use a counter top oven? I do not use a microwave. As many have posted, I can do with a ceramic heater. But AC is a must because I will spend time in the south. I do not watch cable tv so is the cable outlet necessary. Do the small antenna work when there is tv reception. Regarding the brake. I used to pull a 34 foot jayco and had the trailer brake installed in the front by my left leg. Is that they type of brake everyone is referring to. Is it better to go to the factory to check options or call them. In other words, are they helpful over the phone? Do they do pressure sales. I am also leaning toward the Scamper since I see so many on the road. What are the pros and cons of the various 16 foot models?
Thank you to all of you pros for your information.
midwife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
FIRST LOOK HERE:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Then check the owners manual that came with your vehicle for actual towing capacity.

In looking around on-line I see that the towing capacity can vary on the Escape from 1500 lbs to 3500 lbs with the add on "When Properly Equipped"

If you have the higher number you will have no problems but, if yours is one that is limited to 2000 you will be pushing your luck.....

Let us know what your book tells you....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Susan.
We're glad to have you aboard.
I don't have a Scamp so others will have to answer your questions.
They will be along shortly.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Susan, you say you don't watch cable TV, but do you watch any TV. Some campgrounds provide free cable, so would you use it. We spend a few months at a campground in the south and use their cable service. Last year our neighbors were from Wisconsin.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

Name: Susan
Trailer: interested
Wisconsin
Thanks Bob, Carl and Bob and Mary. Mary and Bob, when u-haul ct13 is listed does that mean it is a u-haul conversion??? May be a sillly question but I have thought about that as well.
midwife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife99 View Post
... when u-haul ct13 is listed does that mean it is a u-haul conversion??? May be a sillly question but I have thought about that as well.
U-Haul made and rented travel trailers, but got out of that business long ago, and some of our members now own them. There was a 13-foot "camper trailer" or CT and 16-foot "vacation trailer" or VT.

Conversions of cargo trailers have been done, especially small sizes in a style of equipment and layout like a teardrop, but also as conventional travel trailers. Personally, I would not use an old U-Haul cargo trailer for this purpose, as they tend to be heavy for their size because they are designed for heavy cargo loads.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The Uhaul story as I understand it is that the campers were made in 1984 & 85, rented until 1992, and then sold, although some are supposed to be 86's. we looked at a Scamp 16, side dinette, front bath, and liked it but it was too heavy for our car to tow so we're staying with the Uhaul.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #8

Name: Robert
Trailer: CT13
Indiana
If you are not sure which camper you are interested in you might consider attending one of weekend events that many different types of campers would be available for comparison.
Higginra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife99 View Post
...the 16 footer w/ bath option.
Is it possible to have an oven put in or is it better to use a counter top oven?

What are the pros and cons of the various 16 foot models?
16' Standard Trailers

Layout 4 (Side Bath, Front Couch) and Layout 6 (Front Bath, Side Dinette) are the most common bath choices in the "Standard" line, which has molded fiberglass cabinetry. I've never seen a Layout 5.

16' Deluxe Interior Trailers

Layout A is similar to Layout 4, but substitutes a 2-person Dinette for the Front Couch. Layout B is similar to Layout 6. Deluxe Interiors are all wood.

Layout 6 squeezes the kitchen into the "Passenger Side" or right side of the trailer. What they label as a "closet" next to the sink is actually mostly taken up by the refrigerator. There isn't enough room in this plan for a gas oven. Likewise, Layout B has the same squeeze, or the plan shown has the refrigerator under the stove displacing the oven.

Layout 4 and Layout A put a smaller bath on the "Driver's Side" or left side. Because the bathroom is smaller and the refrigerator location does not interfere 4 & A allow room for a gas range with an oven (which Scamp lists as an option).
Old 08-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Some of the U-Haul story found here in the Document Center: U-Haul Begins Travel Trailer Production
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Within the next few years I plan on going full time/female with my boxer. I have a 2011 Escape V6 and am wondering if it will tow the 16 footer w/ bath option.

Probably. The v-6 Escape has a 3500 lb rating and the "Trailers in the Real World" survey shows the average weight of a Scamp 16 (to pick one brand) is about 2500 lbs.

Is it possible to have an oven put in or is it better to use a counter top oven?

Anything is possible, given enough money and tradeoffs but I suggest a countertop oven. I haven't run across a built-in oven offered on a 16.

I do not use a microwave. As many have posted, I can do with a ceramic heater. But AC is a must because I will spend time in the south. I do not watch cable tv so is the cable outlet necessary. Do the small antenna work when there is tv reception.

I haven't tried them all but my experience so far is that they don't work well unless you camp right next to the city.

Regarding the brake. I used to pull a 34 foot jayco (not with your Escape I'm betting) and had the trailer brake installed in the front by my left leg. Is that they type of brake everyone is referring to.

Probably. The brake controller is often set up on the dash where it is easily reachable.

Is it better to go to the factory to check options or call them. In other words, are they helpful over the phone? Do they do pressure sales.

Depends of the salesperson. A blanket statement here is pretty hard to make and still be accurate.

I am also leaning toward the Scamper since I see so many on the road. What are the pros and cons of the various 16 foot models?

Unless someone has owned all the models you ask about I'd view opinions of advantages with a grain of salt. Certainly simple observations would be valid but you could get that looking at floorplans in their brochures or web site. You gotta do some of this yourself.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote