New, old camper and even older knees - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2017, 05:06 AM   #1

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
New, old camper and even older knees

I recently purchased an '81 Scamp 13. Having gone from a motorcycle camper to this, I am unsure of the best procedures and equipment for leveling. It hasn't left my driveway yet, as there were some leaks and lighting issues. It does seem to have the saggy axle problem and that will be remedied soon.

So how does one, with knees that hate kneeling, level these trailers? Keep in mind the current low-rider status.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Level front to back with tongue jack. Best for side to side level is the Anderson system.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:51 AM   #3

Missouri
Registry
This looks fairly simple, but is it difficult to use when you don't have a spotter? I will be traveling and setting up alone.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You will also need to consider the type of stabilizers. Use of rear stabilizers at a minimum is essential- without them these little trailers have been known to pop a wheelie when you sit down in the rear dinette.

My newer Scamp came with flip-down Atwood stabilizers mounted on the rear bumper. They work fine for me, but they do require some stooping. One alternative is a set of BAL stabilizing jacks, which can be lowered with a cordless drill. They will require some minor modifications to the frame to mount.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Kay, Lack of a spotter requires several exits from the tow vehicle for me but no big deal. Some people put a large bubble level on the front of the trailer. They can see in the rear view mirror when the trailer is level These are 6" long.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-8525-...+bubble+levels
Old 05-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #6

Missouri
Registry
Of course the simplest would be the best, but since I will be working alone, the BAL solution looks pretty promising. Thank you both for your input.

Online shopping, here I come.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
We replaced the screw type levelers with bolt on lever type levelers we lowered with a battery powered drill. I do have to bend at th waist to peek under time to time, but it sure helps to not have to shimmy under to place th old school leveler!!! I used to single camp in my little Scamp 13 and in my 60s, but it's the most secure camping a lady can find that small and handleable.
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Just to clarify, Kay. The stabilizers I linked are only for supporting the trailer after you have leveled it.

Side-to-side leveling requires some kind of device to raise the wheel on the low side. Some involve pulling or backing the trailer while hitched. The previously mentioned Anderson system is one. Lego-type interlocking blocks are another (more stooping).

There is one other popular device used to raise the low side of the trailer. BAL also makes a leveler. It fits around the wheel and lifts in place- no pulling forward or backward, no spotter or getting in and out. It looks like the adjustment screw could be easily reached without stooping, and you can use a cordless drill with this device. Only drawback is bulk. This is a popular way to store the BAL leveler when you break camp- keeps the dirt contained.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #9

Missouri
Registry
You wouldn't happen to remember the brand or model number, would you? I am within 15 miles of Apache Village, Cabela's, Bass Pro and Camping world. Somebody local to me should have the right ones.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #10

Registry
Hubby says the levelers we put on th Scamp we're BAL BRAND.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #11

Name: Mick M
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Quick leveler system for light trailers

I use the BAL 28050 and it works well and is very quick and easy to use. It sells for under $70 on Amazon. It requires a ratchet wrench which it comes with but I picked up a heavier duty one for under $10. My knees are not so good either so I use a step stool to sit on while I set it up.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeair2me View Post
You wouldn't happen to remember the brand or model number, would you? I am within 15 miles of Apache Village, Cabela's, Bass Pro and Camping world. Somebody local to me should have the right ones.
Just click the links in my earlier posts (words in blue). It should have the information you need. Local will probably be more expensive than ordering online, but if you're on a short time schedule, it might be worth it.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #13

Missouri
Registry
I ordered the BAL 28050 off Amazon. Cheaper than my retail outlet and it will be here Monday.

The trailer isn't leaving without me. It's still "in process" of being road worthy. I am just trying to get all these things worked out before I show up on a dark, rainy night at some foreign campground. As it is while I work on it, it sets cockeyed across my driveway and could benefit from being leveled.

Again, my thanks to all who replied. Your experience is a treasure trove of what should, and should not be done.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Old 05-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #15

Registry
We bought our Scamp after all the advice available here! Was greatly valued! You did good!
Old 05-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #16

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
New, old camper and even older knees

I have an '84 Scamp so they should be quite similar. Mine has two stabilizers on the rear bumper that I hand deploy after I level the trailer with the Andersen leveler, which I love!! Makes leveling side to side so much easier. I just look out my rear window and watch when the aluminum trim line is level to the van rear window. I verify level by checking with a little level on the trailer floor. The trailer came with five various length PT 2x8s with one long edge cut at a slant. I just use those now for placing under the stabilizers and tongue jack. I mounted a cheap bubble level parallel to the brown trim lines above the fridge and that helps with front to back level after I unhitch the trailer. Now if I could just get backing up into the campsite, I'd be a happy camper. [emoji854][emoji853][emoji854]
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #17

Registry
Yep! Me too! I'm usually the source of the days drama and laughter!
Old 05-14-2017, 08:39 AM   #18

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
I ended up replacing the axle on mine (which was riding pretty low anyway) after driving down I-29 to do a show in Watertown SD. It was the perfect storm of car wheel distance to trailer wheels on concrete sections and pounded the he££ out of the axle. Lucky me, I only live 80 miles from the factory in Backus MN so I just drove up there and had them replace it. Then I went camping. [emoji16] I opted out of trailer brakes since the trailer is so small and light. If I lived in a mountain state, I'd get them.
Enjoy your little camper. I've had lots of fun with mine.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote