New old stock uhaul side windows - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #181

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by awroyce View Post
Thanks Tom, after more searching it looks like this is what I need.
Weatherstrip-Trims, All Rubber Glass Run Channels with Flocked Lining

It looks like I would need 30 inches of that felt to replace the old felt in the door window. Please let me know if you have enough and I will pay you for your time/postage, thanks!
PM your address and I'll calculate postage. This stuff is the same as original with metal insert. The linked stuff is all rubber - just so you know the difference.

Quote:
Do you also have any input if this is the correct inner gasket for the large front window?
https://shop.scamptrailers.com/p-431...ce-per-ft.aspx
Sorry, I don't know.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #182

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Andrew: DO NOT use that Scamp gasket for the front window. I bought two windows from Scamp, a rear window and a side jalousie window, both of them I adapted to fit in our Uhaul. Scamp sent that gasket stuff, which is a foam tape that has a sticky side. I used it to install both the windows and both of them leaked. Your Uhaul front and rear windows are held in by screws through a clamp ring on the inside of the trailer. Using the Scamp supplied gasket I could not get the windows to seat properly and had to pull them back out. I then used butyl tape that I got from a RV place to reinstall them, no leaks now.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #183

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by awroyce View Post
I have also recently installed my 2 new passenger side windows with the help of Bobs instructions. I have a good amount of weather stripping and lock stripping left over to sell for cheap if anyone wants it. It is the AS 1456 weatherstrip and AS 789B that Bob recommended and fit perfect. I also flipped the window on the driver side and drilled 4 small holes on the bottom.

I also took apart the smaller window in the door but am looking for some parts if anyone has a clue to where I could find the following..

Its the inner sliding felt track that is on the bottom and sides of the small window. Click here for a picture.

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew, I sent you a private message the other day on your leftover weatherstrip and lockstrip as I would like to buy it. I have some but it seems to be too narrow for my windows. Thanks, Diane
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #184

New York
Diane: what part number weatherstrip do you have that seems too narrow?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #185

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Bob, I missed your message to send the tools back to you. If you're leaving Tgiving, should I send them to your address? Or is there somewhere else I can send them? The weatherstrip fits just as you described. Just a little bit of caulk needed to cover the exposed holes.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #186

New York
Pam: send them back to my address, someone is picking up our mail.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #187

Virginia
Width of weatherstrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Diane: what part number weatherstrip do you have that seems too narrow?
Bob, I bought Michael "mmeyer's" leftover weatherstrip. Size??? Can't remember the thread where he posted that he would sell his left over. I held it up to the windows and my cut out hole especially on one side window seems way too big for the New old stock UHaul windows I bought. At least the weather strip that's on there now is very wide rubber, the glass is just barely haning in there, the old windows are the old Uhaul and they are in such bad shape. Am gearing up to work on them soon.
I am at a loss on this one as If I pull the windows out want to make sure I have the right stuff to fix them with. I am hoping the previous owner has not hack out fiberglass, I dunno. I can not take a real measurement while the windows are still in.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #188

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Bob, I bought Michael "mmeyer's" leftover weatherstrip. Size??? Can't remember the thread where he posted that he would sell his left over. I held it up to the windows and my cut out hole especially on one side window seems way too big for the New old stock UHaul windows I bought. At least the weather strip that's on there now is very wide rubber, the glass is just barely haning in there, the old windows are the old Uhaul and they are in such bad shape. Am gearing up to work on them soon.
I am at a loss on this one as If I pull the windows out want to make sure I have the right stuff to fix them with. I am hoping the previous owner has not hack out fiberglass, I dunno. I can not take a real measurement while the windows are still in.
Not sure if this will help or not, but added info. I used the 1488 weatherstrip shown in the PDF. Additional possibilities here:
http://www.stanpro.com/PDFsRegOnly/S...atherstrip.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3868.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf UHaul Window seals.pdf (30.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #189

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
1488 is what I had. In the VT it was the emergency window ment to be kicked out. I have only seen 1 CT and did not thoroughly examine the windows so don't know if they are different between the two.
Michael J
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #190

New York
I believe the VT windows are larger than on the CT models, but that shouldn't matter with the weatherstrip. I used the 1456 because the groove measurements are the same as the original weatherstrip, but the 1456 weatherstrip is a little narrower, and I think the 1488 is too. Diane, the only way to tell for sure what you have for opening size is to pull out both windows and measure. When I measured a Scamp window it looked like it would fit, but when I removed the old window I found that the opening was too big and had to make a filler piece to make it work. That was before the NOS windows showed up. Pam just installed her new windows with the weatherstrip I sent her, followed my directions, and all went well I believe. I only replaced my left side window, and no leaks since. Don't forget to seal those two small holes at the top. We are now in South Carolina so I don't have all my window measurements info with me. I did bring some of my notes but have to dig them out from where I packed them.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #191

Virginia
Thanks Mike and Bob! When I looked at Tom's pic I knew Mikes weatherstrip was the same as Bob's. Thanks Tom for posting. I will have to see when the windows are out about the measurements. This winter's project. Have also been following Pam's success as well! Good job Pam.
Have a good time in SC!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #192

Name: andrew
Trailer: 17 boler
Ontario
does anyone know if the windows are soldout? i couldn't find them on the site anymore
andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #193

New York
I heard they are all gone
Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #194

Name: andrew
Trailer: 17 boler
Ontario
i very sad, the search continues
andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #195

New York
I installed a Scamp side window, but it is smaller than the Uhaul opening, so I had to make an adapter piece. Kirkman had a source for windows but I can't find his post about where it was.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #196

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Rebuild your windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew78 View Post
i very sad, the search continues
Mr. Andrew,
Don't be sad if you still have the original windows, They are rebuildable. Ms. Bridget T really shows how to do it in this thread...
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-42722.html
Old 12-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #197

Registry
I got the windows in just before the cold weather settled in. Not caulked yet, and the camper is in a pole barn, so no worry about leaks. I'm thinking of getting hold of the flocked window gaskets so I can rebuild the back slider window.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #198

New York
The only caulking required would be to seal up those two small holes at the top. If rebuilding your rear window doesn't work out, remember that a Scamp rear window will fit by widening the opening in the trailer by about 1/2" on each side. Window is about $150, plus shipping.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #199

Registry
Yep, Bob, that's the calking that I'm referring to.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #200

New York
Pam; now that you have done your window installation, do you have any advice or suggestions to make it easier for those who have yet to do it. Another idea for sealing those small holes in the window frame is just a small dab of the butyl putty pushed into them. I'd send you some, but can't until I get back home in March.

Tags
uhaul, windows