New old stock uhaul side windows - Page 11 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #141
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I'm happy with the AS1456 weatherstrip that I bought. The only thing is that it is a little narrower than the original. Tom, do you have any of the new weatherstrip that you used left over, if you do I'll send you a little piece of the 1456 so you can compare them.
Bob
Yes, I still have a few feet.
__________________

__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #142
Senior Member
 
Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Posts: 1,111
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
The secret tube on our VT was empty when I found it a couple years ago. No end plugs, either. I haven't had the chance to look under my frame for the VIN plate yet. Maybe in the spring! To tell the truth, I'm not all that eager to crawl around under my trailer since I'm a bit wider than the space between the trailer and the ground.
__________________

__________________
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #143
Moderator
 
Pam Garlow's Avatar
 
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Posts: 3,220
Registry
My camping season is pretty much over after October, so I'll be (gulp) tackling the window replacements. First step will be to take out the passenger side window, clean up the opening and then reinstall my nos window. Oh, yeah, I have to order the weatherstripping and installation tool.
__________________
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #144
Senior Member
 
Perk's Avatar
 
Name: Perk
Trailer: U-Haul VT 16FT
Arizona
Posts: 120
Registry
Kevin,

Can you clue me in on the "secret tube" as I am unaware of it. Where is yours and what is/was its function.

Thanks

Perk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
The secret tube on our VT was empty when I found it a couple years ago. No end plugs, either. I haven't had the chance to look under my frame for the VIN plate yet. Maybe in the spring! To tell the truth, I'm not all that eager to crawl around under my trailer since I'm a bit wider than the space between the trailer and the ground.
__________________
Perk
Enjoy the Adventure
1985 16ft U-Haul VT
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #145
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perk View Post
Kevin,

Can you clue me in on the "secret tube" as I am unaware of it. Where is yours and what is/was its function.

Thanks

Perk

Underneath, just in front of the rear bumper, there is a steel tube about 3/4" in diameter and 6 " long with a plastic plug in each end mounted parallel to the bumper. It contained the original registration.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #146
Senior Member
 
D Davis's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Posts: 1,000
Found it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Underneath, just in front of the rear bumper, there is a steel tube about 3/4" in diameter and 6 " long with a plastic plug in each end mounted parallel to the bumper. It contained the original registration.
Ahh...had wondered what that pipe was, so excited to read about it because my CT13 is listed on the title as a homemade trailer. I poped it open today and found only an empty clear tube inside. HA! But now we have a place to hide tiny little things huh.
__________________
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #147
Senior Member
 
djtriceflt's Avatar
 
Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Posts: 392
Registry
Original CT VIN plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I'll just have to wait with bated breath.
Hello Mr. Bob and Mr. Tom,
Now you have me waiting with 'bated breath' to find out if you located those VIN plates yet?
__________________
don '85 CT-13 PEACE be with you!
"Sometimes the hunt is better than the catch"
djtriceflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #148
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
Hello Mr. Bob and Mr. Tom,
Now you have me waiting with 'bated breath' to find out if you located those VIN plates yet?
OK, I looked. There is a plate where you designated, but mine just says "Property of UHaul, Not to be Resold."
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #149
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Posts: 4,323
I was under our Uhaul last weekend checking things and replacing some of the body bolts. I could not find either the VIN plate or the document tube. I looked all over the frame and found nothing, I had the trailer up on ramps so I had some room to work and look. I think I recall Tom [or someone] saying there was some ID plate on the inside of the cabinet door that is below the sink. We don't have that either. Ours has the remains of the VIN in three places, on the bottom of the front window frame, looks like it may have been label maker tape, in deteriorating condition. Second place is a sticker below the left front side amber reflector, partially scraped off and the words "designed by" can be seen on it, and some of the VIN. The third place is on the rear of the body, just above the bumper and to the left of the body seam, looks like numbers have been removed and painted over.
__________________
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #150
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I was under our Uhaul last weekend checking things and replacing some of the body bolts. I could not find either the VIN plate or the document tube. I looked all over the frame and found nothing, I had the trailer up on ramps so I had some room to work and look. I think I recall Tom [or someone] saying there was some ID plate on the inside of the cabinet door that is below the sink. We don't have that either. Ours has the remains of the VIN in three places, on the bottom of the front window frame, looks like it may have been label maker tape, in deteriorating condition. Second place is a sticker below the left front side amber reflector, partially scraped off and the words "designed by" can be seen on it, and some of the VIN. The third place is on the rear of the body, just above the bumper and to the left of the body seam, looks like numbers have been removed and painted over.
I've only seen the VIN on the aluminum sticker under the reflector on the driver's side. The tongue has various plates welded on saying "property of" / "not property of UHaul".
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #151
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Posts: 4,323
no plates welded on our tongue, "Uhaul" is stamped in it
__________________
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #152
Senior Member
 
djtriceflt's Avatar
 
Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Posts: 392
Registry
No data on VIN plate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
OK, I looked. There is a plate where you designated, but mine just says "Property of UHaul, Not to be Resold."
Mr. Tom,
That is interesting as it is the first one of 4 I have inspected that does not have the additional VIN and date of manufacture on the plate. Sorry, your's does not but if it is a stainless plate maybe they started doing it after your production number?

Mr. Bob,
It is located immediately behind the drivers side (USA) left wheel wheel on an interior vertical flat frame surface that is several inches behind where the tubular chassis (pipe/frame) is welded to it. It was heavily painted over and I could only detect it by cleaning away the paint between two small vertical welds , which are also easily overlooked.

Who ever was behind this clever coverup of the VIN is to be either congratulated or cursed depending on your individual perspective! I guess, for some, the hunt is still on!
__________________
don '85 CT-13 PEACE be with you!
"Sometimes the hunt is better than the catch"
djtriceflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #153
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
.........
It is located immediately behind the drivers side (USA) left wheel wheel on an interior vertical flat frame surface that is several inches behind where the tubular chassis (pipe/frame) is welded to it. It was heavily painted over and I could only detect it by cleaning away the paint between two small vertical welds , which are also easily overlooked. ........
Mr. Don,

Maybe I misunderstood you. Does the plate face the center of the trailer or the outside? The plate I saw faced outward, i.e. was welded to the outer surface of the flat frame behind where the tubing is attached.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #154
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Posts: 4,323
Here's where I just looked. On the inside vertical surface of the driver side frame rail. The rail that runs front to back. To the rear of the round tube crossmember, the first one to the rear of the trailer from the wheel, there is a space about 12" long between that crossmember and the rear crossmember, there is one through bolt there that is for the bumper support on that side, there is another bolt farther forward. So is that 12" space on the inside of the frame rail where I should be looking? If so there is nothing there, the paint is so thin it wouldn't hide a plate or welds.
__________________

__________________
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
uhaul, windows


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uhaul Side Windows RICK H. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 80 12-12-2016 06:07 PM
Changing side windows on boler to radius windows. screamin_flamesfan Modifications, Alterations and Updates 3 09-11-2013 08:59 PM
LiteHouse side windows. Davie B Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 03-15-2012 07:13 PM
scamp side windows... nancy and steve Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 05-28-2011 11:00 AM
Boler Side Windows Kevin M Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 08-05-2008 10:02 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.