New old stock uhaul side windows - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Well not to throw a wrench in the works BUT, I have all the measurements from having a side window out and replacing it with a Scamp window. The opening in our Uhaul measures 24 5/8 wide by 19 1/8 high. The original window that I have here in front of me measures overall 24 1/8 X 18 3/4, the measurements not including that ridge that sets in the weatherstrip are 23 1/4 X 17 7/8. The Scamp window that I bought fits an opening of 23 7/8 X 17 7/8, it is too small for the Uhaul opening and this is the measurement they are giving for these NOS windows. So the big question is, are these actually Uhaul windows and they are not giving the correct opening size, but the measurement not including that edge that fits in the rubber? And on our Uhaul there is a difference in the left and right window, it is so the sliding glass on both opens from the rear and slides forward, sort of a mirror image of each other. If they are actual Uhaul windows they should be stamped "Uhaul not to be sold". Anyone checked into this further? And what about the shipping cost, the way they add it in after you place the order I don't like. Tried calling them, but too late today. Anyone get a shipping quote?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #16

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
The plot thickens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Well not to throw a wrench in the works BUT, I have all the measurements from having a side window out and replacing it with a Scamp window. The opening in our Uhaul measures 24 5/8 wide by 19 1/8 high. The original window that I have here in front of me measures overall 24 1/8 X 18 3/4, the measurements not including that ridge that sets in the weatherstrip are 23 1/4 X 17 7/8. The Scamp window that I bought fits an opening of 23 7/8 X 17 7/8, it is too small for the Uhaul opening and this is the measurement they are giving for these NOS windows. So the big question is, are these actually Uhaul windows and they are not giving the correct opening size, but the measurement not including that edge that fits in the rubber? And on our Uhaul there is a difference in the left and right window, it is so the sliding glass on both opens from the rear and slides forward, sort of a mirror image of each other. If they are actual Uhaul windows they should be stamped "Uhaul not to be sold". Anyone checked into this further? And what about the shipping cost, the way they add it in after you place the order I don't like. Tried calling them, but too late today. Anyone get a shipping quote?
Mr. Bob,
Good catch and THANKS for that info!!! I called the business and got a quote of $30 for two to Miami but did not buy them. I asked if they had any others like the forward, rear and door windows. They said no, only these.

So far the hunt does appear better than the catch but time will tell!!!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #17

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Kevin, the windows themselves are the same. The difference is the mounting weatherstrip on one side has an orange plastic handle to yank out the locking strip on the weather strip. When I did mine, I used that same weatherstrip on both sides, but only installed the handle on the one side.
Thanks Thomas G., I was wondering about the exit window myself. You have answered that question well.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Don: that $30 shipping cost is reasonable. I suspect that whoever put in the opening size measured the window less the ridge that sets in the rubber, not realizing how the windows are installed. Makes me nervous though when they don't tell you shipping when you place the order because they can add in a "handling charge" of whatever they want. It cost me $60 in shipping to get a rear and one side window from Scamp, but they made a wooden box with some rug like padding, 1 X 6 sides and 1/4" luan plywood for the top & bottom, screwed & glued together. If you haven't seen where I previously posted it, a Scamp rear window will fit into a Uhaul, at least it did in ours, by widening the opening about 1/2" on each side and installing the clamp ring backwards. The rear window was $160. The Scamp windows are Hehr, and even with the numbers on the window I can't find them online, or anything anywhere as low priced as from Scamp. If I can get a reasonable shipping cost on these NOS windows I'll order two, but I'll bet they're not packaged like those from Scamp! Bob
Old 09-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #19

Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Hi all,

I just found these online and ordered a pair for my ct-13.

Miscellaneous Auto Parts

I'll let you know if they fit when they come in.
I was wondering about the shipping costs too. Don't want to jump the gun for a good deal and get shot in the foot.
The opening on my windows on the TrailMite are exactly those measurements (23 and 1/8 and 17 and 7/8) We just took one out to measure. Figure they weren't the original, but with this trailer not much probably is, so going for what works for us.
I also need to know if when you order windows, do they automatically come with the inner retaining frame (Don't know what else to call it, but it is what is on ours now and it is what clamps the outside to the inside)? Doesn't show it on the window, but neither do the Scamp ones...
I looked at Scamp windows and they are so expensive in comparison. Can anyone also tell me what the Scamp windows are made of? Don't see that on website either, just sizes & cost...aluminum?
I'll try calling Surplus Sales tomorrow, but figured it would be good to get feed back from here first.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #20

New York
The retaining frame is called a clamp ring, and they come in different width or thickness, however you want to look at it, depending on wall thickness. when I ordered the windows from Scamp I said I needed the clamp rings, but they don't show on the bill so I assume they are included with the window. the Scamp windows were the best price I could find. Uhaul side windows don't use a clamp ring, they set in a rubber weatherstrip seal, so if these are actual Uhaul windows, and they appear to be, they won't work in your trailer . The Scamp windows are aluminum. read my previous post for the measurements.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #21

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
It seems that if you bought two windows, and that you would just flip it 'upside down' to install on the other side so the window still slides forward to open? (i.e. if you held it against the side of the trailer and the screen was at the back, then you took it to the other side, and flipped the 'top' down to the 'bottom' of the window frame, so the screen was still at the back, wouldn't that work?) I'm probably mangling this description

OK, went out and looked at my windows. The bottom of each window on the outside is stamped 'UHaul, not for resale'. And I also realized that if I flip the window over, then the drain holes wind up at the top on one side...
Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #22

Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
The retaining frame is called a clamp ring, and they come in different width or thickness, however you want to look at it, depending on wall thickness. when I ordered the windows from Scamp I said I needed the clamp rings, but they don't show on the bill so I assume they are included with the window. the Scamp windows were the best price I could find. Uhaul side windows don't use a clamp ring, they set in a rubber weatherstrip seal, so if these are actual Uhaul windows, and they appear to be, they won't work in your trailer . The Scamp windows are aluminum. read my previous post for the measurements.
Rats! Thanks though for the input Bob. We are still new to this. After your comment I made my hubby come back in and look at the window online a little closer. He agreed with what you said Bummer for us, but better than getting the wrong product. Guess I'll try to clean up what we have until I can afford newer Scamp ones.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #23

New York
Pam: I'm wondering if there is much of a reason for a left and a right window, like is it because the way the window slides water won't be forced in when towing in the rain. Our side window latches or handles are gone and the window works it's way open. It did this one time in a rain storm and none got inside. And I'm still waiting for comments on why it is recommended to buy the weatherstrip for 1/4" wall thickness when the Uhaul wall thickness is 3/16", the original rubber is 3/16", and 3/16" is available. Anyone know?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #24

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
.........And I'm still waiting for comments on why it is recommended to buy the weatherstrip for 1/4" wall thickness when the Uhaul wall thickness is 3/16", the original rubber is 3/16", and 3/16" is available. Anyone know?
All I know is that I still got a slight leakage around the perimeter with new rubber gaskets which are 1/4". I don't have a part number, as I bought Goosler's excess.

I ended up caulking the rubber to metal and rubber to fiberglass interfaces.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #25

New York
First off let me say that the instructions that Bridget posted about rebuilding windows is very good and I know we all appreciate her for it. However it may be that the weatherstrip she bought is not what should be used, and everyone has just blindly followed that information. What I have found is that the original weatherstrip on our Uhaul measures 3/16" groove on the side that sets over the wall, and 1/4" groove where the window sets in. But the ridge on the Uhaul window is also 3/16"! Looking on the Perfectfit website, weatherstrip is not available in 3/16" both grooves, but it is available same as Uhaul original, 3/16" wall, and 1/4" window groove. If I have to order some, that is what I will order. Bob
Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #26

New York
Just called them, they only charge actual shipping, no handling or packaging charge. The nice lady I talked to didn't have any other info. I found at the bottom of the page an email address for more info. I asked if they could check for left & right sides. Then I went ahead and ordered two with reference to my email. Will see what shows up. She said they had several calls about them, only a few orders so far. Maybe we'll all have to see what we get, then swap to get a left & a right LOL!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #27

Name: Jack
Trailer: Eriba Triton now - ex U-Haul, Boler owner
Georgia
I just got off the phone with the folks at Surplus Sales - I ordered a pair of windows from them. I explained to them how to tell a left side from a right side and they said they have a mix of LH and RH windows - more of one side than another but they don't know the ratio just yet. A very few of them are missing the latching handle. They are the Uhaul windows as they are stamped U-Haul - Not For Sale on the lower edge. He said these have been gathering dust in a crate for thirty years they just got around to posting these up this week.

I sent them some pictures and measurements of my existing windows which I happen to have out of my trailer so they could confirm that what they have is correct.

He asked if the sides could be reversed and I told him that it would be possible if someone wanted to just cut new drain holes in the lower channel with a small router bit. I also told him to go look for a box of tail light lenses - if they could find one of those he'd be sitting on a gold mine.

Shipping costs are what they are - I'm having mine shipped UPS Blue since I'm planning on camping in my trailer next Thursday in North Georgia.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #28

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Alrighty then!

This hunt is fantastic!!!
Now, for some dusty tail light lenses...

Tags
uhaul, windows