New old stock uhaul side windows - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
This is almost too funny. Here we all have been doing all kinds of things to resolve window problems, and these pop up now. I recently spent $150 for a Scamp window, plus shipping, and then another $50 for aluminum to adapt that window to my Uhaul, and here's two windows for less than $100. Apparently there were plans to produce more campers, unless these were spare parts. It would be interesting to know how this surplus company got them. The deal of the century!!! Dewey/Tom, how did you find these?

Old 09-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #30

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
This is almost too funny. Here we all have been doing all kinds of things to resolve window problems, and these pop up now. I recently spent $150 for a Scamp window, plus shipping, and then another $50 for aluminum to adapt that window to my Uhaul, and here's two windows for less than $100. Apparently there were plans to produce more campers, unless these were spare parts. It would be interesting to know how this surplus company got them. The deal of the century!!! Dewey/Tom, how did you find these?

Yea, after he gets a few more calls, the seller will probably double or triple the price.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #31

Name: Marty
Trailer: 85 U-Haul CT
Ohio
Hi Folks,
Placed my order yesterday afternoon. I had the same concerns about left and/or right side. After talking with them for about half an hour, I believe that I am receiving the correct windows. They even called me back this morning to confirm what I wanted. I was quoted 22$ for shipment to Cols, Ohio. I'm really looking forward to receiving the windows. I've already rebuilt one, and found it to be a bit of a pain. Here's hoping that these will do the trick.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #32

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
I bit the bullet, too

I ordered two as well.

Mr. Tom is very correct as the price for a driver's side window
went up $21 to $60, for me at least, as they said they have fewer of them.
It is still a great deal if the seals are not all dried out...
Old 09-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #33

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
So I ordered mine before this left/right discussion. Is there a real diff other than aesthetics (which way the window slides open)? My driver side has been replaced by a crappy piece of cracked plexiglass. If they send me a passenger side, is there any reason I can't just install it?
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #34

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighth001 View Post
So I ordered mine before this left/right discussion. Is there a real diff other than aesthetics (which way the window slides open)? My driver side has been replaced by a crappy piece of cracked plexiglass. If they send me a passenger side, is there any reason I can't just install it?
I think it will be fine. All I can think of is a slight chance of rain coming in while driving due to the open edge leading. Worst case, drill new drain holes and flip it.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #35

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
You could also tape the opening while driving and remove it while camping. You would have to be careful drilling that you didn't hit the glass. I believe I it is tempered as Mine has DOT etched on it. Sometimes when you nick tempered glass it shatters into a zillion fragments. Not saying not to try just be careful as I think you can't drill all the way through without touching the glass(at least on my VT the inner holes and the one on the fixed pane appear to be that way) so opening the hole may be problematic without taking the window apart.
Michael J.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #36

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Yesterday, just before I ordered two windows online, I sent them an email asking if they could send a left and a right. They answered later in the day that the left price was now $60 as they had less of them. I guess we showed too much enthusiasm to get these and they realized there was a good market for the windows. In reality, there isn't much other options, and I'm quite happy with the $60 price.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #37

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Yesterday, just before I ordered two windows online, I sent them an email asking if they could send a left and a right. They answered later in the day that the left price was now $60 as they had less of them. I guess we showed too much enthusiasm to get these and they realized there was a good market for the windows. In reality, there isn't much other options, and I'm quite happy with the $60 price.
I went to a Detroit Tigers baseball game the other day. Bottle of water outside the gate - $1.50. Inside - $4.25.

When they know they gotcha, ya gotta pay.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #38

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I went to a Detroit Tigers baseball game the other day. Bottle of water outside the gate - $1.50. Inside - $4.25.

When they know they gotcha, ya gotta pay.
Well, they will really have us when they diccover all of those
complete tail light assemblies in perfect NOS condition...

Maybe we can act disinterested to keep the cost down? NOT
Old 09-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #39

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
So what are they selling exactly. A driver side window (which in my case, is the escape window) or the passenger side window? Do we just ask for left and right side windows? Or is there some sort of part number to use.
I want to get a left and a right (hoping that the window cushioning that it slides on is not as rock hard as my current ones.) I'm REALLY not sure about changing out my windows with all this talk of gaskets, etc. Also, what about that perimeter rubber gasket, that in my case, seems to be disintegrating. Is there other material available? I hate to spend 100bucks for somethign I can't install
Old 09-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #40

New York
Pam: you have to tell them you want one of each, they have figured out which they are, and since they have less of the driver side ones they have increased the price to $60 for that one. I would call them to order, and I was told they charge the actual shipping cost, no packing or handling extra. I would think the window channel is OK since these windows have been in storage for years and not exposed to the weather. The rubber weatherstrip that mounts the window to the trailer is not included, they don't have it. On my Uhaul the right rubber is different than the left, but what you can get from Perfectfit will work on both sides. And my opinion is that what has been referenced to use is not the correct weatherstrip. The problem is that you have to buy 50 feet from Perfectfit and you only need about 15 feet. You need to find someone to share it with as with shipping it will cost you close to $100. So now your total, windows with shipping, plus weatherstrip with shipping is probably $225 to $250, resell some of the weatherstrip but pay to ship it and maybe recover $25 or so. The installation tool I bought local for $15. If you can't do it yourself or get someone to help you, a place that does auto glass could do it in a short time. My opinion is that it is worth it to buy these windows as to get a clamp ring type window made to fit is well over $200 for one window. On the other hand you can rebuild your windows, with new rubber, for around $125 I believe. I've searched for somewhere to get shorter lengths of the weatherstrip, but can't find the correct size. Another bit of info, that edging that goes over the outside seam, and is around the furnace opening, is available in shorter lengths than from Perfectfit at J C Whitney. I have some ordered right now to go around the opening where I removed the icebox. Bob
Old 09-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #41

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I totally agree with Bob's post above. This is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy original, new UHaul windows and at a steal of a price.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #42

Name: Rick
Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Ohio
Has anyone recieved theirs yet? I am considering ordering some today, thanks RICK.

Tags
uhaul, windows