New old stock uhaul side windows - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #57

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Jack: did you get new rubber weatherstrip or are you using the original?

Old 09-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #58

Name: Jack
Trailer: Eriba Triton now - ex U-Haul, Boler owner
Georgia
I ordered 50 feet of the new stuff from Perfect Fit - once I get the new windows installed I'm going to save enough for the door window and sell the rest of it to some of you guys. I should have enough to do two other sets of windows with what I've got.

I'll also have some used windows to sell cheap......

But you fellow vultures are going to have to wait until I get back from my camping trip this weekend.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #59

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Did you order the weatherstrip for a 3/16 wall like the original is, or did you get the AS1488 which is for a 1/4" wall?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #60

Name: Rick
Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Ohio
I got the bad news email today, no drivers side left. So I went with all passenger side.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #61

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
I just ordered a set of passenger sides also. Will see how I can make it work on driver side, or maybe I'll be able to adapt parts or something. Winter project. They say that they have about 30 windows left.....

A group of us should go together to order the window gasket. Maybe we can work that out?

Tom, many many thanks to you for letting us all know about this. I luv the sharing and caring on this site!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #62

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I just ordered a set of passenger sides also. Will see how I can make it work on driver side, or maybe I'll be able to adapt parts or something. Winter project. They say that they have about 30 windows left................
I'm trying to remember if there is a way to disassemble the window and put it back together to get a mirror twin. It may be obvious when you get to looking at it.

Quote:
..........A group of us should go together to order the window gasket. Maybe we can work that out?.............
Looks like Jack Walter already ordered too much. Maybe he will put you on his list.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #63

New York
Pam: I would just put the new window in the driver side, the glass will just slide in the opposite direction. And you'll have the old window to rebuild at your leisure if you want.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #64

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Drivers side window will be fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Pam: I would just put the new window in the driver side, the glass will just slide in the opposite direction. And you'll have the old window to rebuild at your leisure if you want.
Mr. Bob,
Great advice for Ms.Pam, et all! They probably will be just fine and no one will know the difference. I should get mine in several days and looking forward to it!
Now, please bring on those NOS tail light lenses...
Old 09-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #65

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
I agree. Looking at it closer, I think you'd have to move the divider bar and drill new holes to reverse the slide direction or flip the window upside down and drill new drain holes. In either case probably more hassle than it is worth.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #66

New York
Now, please bring on those NOS tail light lenses...[/QUOTE]
This window deal shows that you never know what is sitting on some back shelf in a parts room, or in some warehouse and forgotten about. But what's sad to think about is, what got thrown away when it was no longer needed at the time. I needed an obsolete International truck part several years ago, and had to call several IH dealers to find one that still had that part. Wonder what's shoved in the back corners of old Uhaul shops, or in some Uhaul mechanics home garage because he just couldn't throw it out. I've got stuff like that!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #67

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
.........I've got stuff like that!
That is why they invented eBay.

On the tail lights - I suspect that the supplier failed close to the manufacture date. The aluminum tail light adapters look like a rush job to cover UHaul rental trailers in the field when they realized that they had no more supply of lenses. I'm pretty sure that UHaul didn't tool up those adapters for us.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #68

New York
Excellent idea Tom, and those adapters don't fit anything else that I know of. Like you I bought a set just to have if all other options failed if I had a lens break. Another possibility was they were going to do away with the red/amber lens and go to a readily available round light. A lot of Uhaul equipment gets fixed out at the dealers and doesn't go to a Uhaul shop, so a standard light would simplify repairs. More history would sure be interesting!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #69

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
So who has the outer gasket material to install these windows with?
...just thought of another question. Do you have to dissassemble the window to remove it from the opening? Or do you somehow pry it out? Photos of that process would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #70

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
So who has the outer gasket material to install these windows with?
...just thought of another question. Do you have to disassemble the window to remove it from the opening? Or do you somehow pry it out? Photos of that process would be greatly appreciated.
Pam, there is a locking strip that is inserted into a slot around the inside perimeter of the weatherstrip. On the driver's side, it originally had an orange handle. You pull that strip out and the window easily pushes out. Putting that locking strip back in is the hard part. The special tool helps a lot.

This thread explains it:

Uhaul Side Windows

Tags
uhaul, windows