New old stock uhaul side windows - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #121

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I may have misunderstood the data plate thing. I thought it meant you had found a source to buy them, or did you mean that you had located it on your trailer. Haven't seen one on ours. When I was working we had specific rules to follow, rule #1; it don't matter what you do as long as it looks good on paper, rule #2; never volunteer!!
But back to the window discussion, what is everyone buying for weatherstrip, I got the AS1456 and As789B lock strip. And I have to say that this thread has been the most interesting and fun one of all.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #122

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I.........I got the AS1456 and As789B lock strip. And I have to say that this thread has been the most interesting and fun one of all.
Bob can you add your comments to this thread (below) so all the correct part numbers are in one thread?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...s-42722-5.html
Old 10-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #123

New York
Tom: done, but I was wondering if anyone else was in agreement with me, or thought that I was wrong and had a better solution.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #124

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
It's there, I am most certain!!!

Quote:
I may have misunderstood the data plate thing. I thought it meant you had found a source to buy them, or did you mean that you had located it on your trailer. Haven't seen one on ours. When I was working we had specific rules to follow, rule #1; it don't matter what you do as long as it looks good on paper, rule #2; never volunteer!!
But back to the window discussion, what is everyone buying for weatherstrip, I got the AS1456 and As789B lock strip. And I have to say that this thread has been the most interesting and fun one of all.

Mr. Bob,
Any Veteran can tell you that! But as an old geezer once found out (me) being volunteered was one of the best things that happened to him.

Should I sign you up for moderator over at www.Uhaulcamper.com?

Avid UHaulers,
I can't believe after all these years and so much interest in these CT and VT UHaul trailers that no one else has located their factory stainless steel VIN plates that were welded to the frame.

I 'll bet some of you will be crawling around under there...Aaaah, The hunt is on!
Old 10-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #125

Quote:
Tom: done, but I was wondering if anyone else was in agreement with me, or thought that I was wrong and had a better solution.
I think your post was perfect.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post

I 'll bet some of you will be crawling around under there...Aaaah, The hunt is on!
I've never seen mine. I did find the secret tube with the original registration.

I also have a plate welded to the tongue announcing this is NOT the property of UHaul.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #127

New York
Don: I haven't signed up on the Uhaul site, and in less than two months we'll be camping for three months, SC and GA until late January, then Florida for Feb. I would not be a good moderator.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #128

Florida
Registry
It's there, I am almost certain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I've never seen mine. I did find the secret tube with the original registration.

I also have a plate welded to the tongue announcing this is NOT the property of UHaul.
Mr. Tom,
Quite by accident, I discovered mine which was painted over probably from the factory. A beautiful VIN plate with VIN UHaul Markings and date of manufacture in s/s welded to the frame! This is in addition to the front lower left mylar decal they applied. I confirmed it's location on my second CT and I suspect it is is the same location on all the CTs and VTs.

I promise to not keep it secret too long but this deserves a little suspense, would not you agree? Once I let it out the chase is finished...

Mr. Bob,
Thanks for volunteering to be a moderator...(just kidding)
But, I really thank you for the excellent info on what to use for the side window installation, it is very appreciated!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #129

Florida
Registry
I understand

Quote:
Don: I haven't signed up on the Uhaul site, and in less than two months we'll be camping for three months, SC and GA until late January, then Florida for Feb. I would not be a good moderator.
Mr. Bob,
I'm off myself for a month or so. Part of it includes the Cherokee Rally. I got the CT all shined up and ready to roll! Now, if I can find my retirement place, up around there, I'll really be a HAPPY camper! Hope all your camping is enjoyable...
Old 10-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #130

New York
Don: I know Jane & Greg are doing that rally, and one other Uhaul but I haven't heard who that is.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #131

Quote:
.................I promise to not keep it secret too long but this deserves a little suspense, would not you agree? Once I let it out the chase is finished...
I'll just have to wait with bated breath.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #132

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Don: did you buy a bunch of those to distribute to us all, and where did you find them? I bought a generic VIN # plate that Donna referenced that is blank and you stamp your numbers on it.
I found mine several months ago when I was under coating mine. On my VT it is just black painted steel with a VT followed by a four digit number on the first line then property of Uhaul not to be sold on the next line and what I asume to be a production date of 4 85 on the bottom line. My VIN sticker is inside the door has a lot more numbers but ends with the VT and 4 digit number stamped into the steel plate. I also have an aluminum plate on the axle . it is a Henschen axle with a load capacity of 2500 lbs. Henschen made axles for airstream but went out of business several years ago.
Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #133

Florida
Registry
Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
I found mine several months ago when I was under coating mine. On my VT it is just black painted steel with a VT followed by a four digit number on the first line then property of Uhaul not to be sold on the next line and what I asume to be a production date of 4 85 on the bottom line. My VIN sticker is inside the door has a lot more numbers but ends with the VT and 4 digit number stamped into the steel plate. I also have an aluminum plate on the axle . it is a Henschen axle with a load capacity of 2500 lbs. Henschen made axles for airstream but went out of business several years ago.
Michael J.
Mr. Mike,
Unless the VTs were done differently, which is very possible, you may have another s/s plate as well...
Old 10-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #134

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I'll just have to wait with bated breath.
Promise not to hold your breath, the hunt's just begun!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #135

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Mr. Mike,
Unless the VTs were done differently, which is very possible, you may have another s/s plate as well...
Don't think so, I Hand painted almost every square inch of the underside with a special Urethane paint after I caulked all the seams around the frame and wheelwells, the plate was on the inboard left rear support member behind the wheel about 2 feet in front of the secret tube. I found another plate up front on the right side but it just said property of UHaul not to be sold. My VT may be a little different as my tongue is different than Cindy and Kevins and I have a fiberglass bumper.
Michael J.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #136

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
.....what secret tube? Can you advise me where should I look for mine and what is inside of it?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:33 AM   #137

Indiana
Registry
About 1" in diameter 12" long welded to the frame on the back driver side of my trailer. Has plastic plugs. Reported to contain sensitive information about the trailer suitable to identify it in the event of theft or survival after a nuclear war. Mine was empty. Then again it could be an Urban Myth.
Michael J
Old 10-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #138

New York
Uhaul windows

This thread has been quiet for a few days, I'm curious as to how everyone is doing with their window installation.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #139

Quote:
This thread has been quiet for a few days, I'm curious as to how everyone is doing with their window installation.
I can't add much except to say that my rebuilt windows finally quit leaking after I caulked the outer weatherstrip, so my new extra window is safely in storage.

Are you convinced that the alternate side window weatherstrip that you bought is a good choice?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #140

New York
I'm happy with the AS1456 weatherstrip that I bought. The only thing is that it is a little narrower than the original. Tom, do you have any of the new weatherstrip that you used left over, if you do I'll send you a little piece of the 1456 so you can compare them.
Bob

Tags
uhaul, windows