New old stock uhaul side windows - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #141

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I'm happy with the AS1456 weatherstrip that I bought. The only thing is that it is a little narrower than the original. Tom, do you have any of the new weatherstrip that you used left over, if you do I'll send you a little piece of the 1456 so you can compare them.
Bob
Yes, I still have a few feet.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #142

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
The secret tube on our VT was empty when I found it a couple years ago. No end plugs, either. I haven't had the chance to look under my frame for the VIN plate yet. Maybe in the spring! To tell the truth, I'm not all that eager to crawl around under my trailer since I'm a bit wider than the space between the trailer and the ground.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #143

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
My camping season is pretty much over after October, so I'll be (gulp) tackling the window replacements. First step will be to take out the passenger side window, clean up the opening and then reinstall my nos window. Oh, yeah, I have to order the weatherstripping and installation tool.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #144

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
Kevin,

Can you clue me in on the "secret tube" as I am unaware of it. Where is yours and what is/was its function.

Thanks

Perk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
The secret tube on our VT was empty when I found it a couple years ago. No end plugs, either. I haven't had the chance to look under my frame for the VIN plate yet. Maybe in the spring! To tell the truth, I'm not all that eager to crawl around under my trailer since I'm a bit wider than the space between the trailer and the ground.
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perk View Post
Kevin,

Can you clue me in on the "secret tube" as I am unaware of it. Where is yours and what is/was its function.

Thanks

Perk

Underneath, just in front of the rear bumper, there is a steel tube about 3/4" in diameter and 6 " long with a plastic plug in each end mounted parallel to the bumper. It contained the original registration.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #146

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Found it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Underneath, just in front of the rear bumper, there is a steel tube about 3/4" in diameter and 6 " long with a plastic plug in each end mounted parallel to the bumper. It contained the original registration.
Ahh...had wondered what that pipe was, so excited to read about it because my CT13 is listed on the title as a homemade trailer. I poped it open today and found only an empty clear tube inside. HA! But now we have a place to hide tiny little things huh.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #147

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Original CT VIN plate

Quote:
I'll just have to wait with bated breath.
Hello Mr. Bob and Mr. Tom,
Now you have me waiting with 'bated breath' to find out if you located those VIN plates yet?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
Hello Mr. Bob and Mr. Tom,
Now you have me waiting with 'bated breath' to find out if you located those VIN plates yet?
OK, I looked. There is a plate where you designated, but mine just says "Property of UHaul, Not to be Resold."
Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #149

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I was under our Uhaul last weekend checking things and replacing some of the body bolts. I could not find either the VIN plate or the document tube. I looked all over the frame and found nothing, I had the trailer up on ramps so I had some room to work and look. I think I recall Tom [or someone] saying there was some ID plate on the inside of the cabinet door that is below the sink. We don't have that either. Ours has the remains of the VIN in three places, on the bottom of the front window frame, looks like it may have been label maker tape, in deteriorating condition. Second place is a sticker below the left front side amber reflector, partially scraped off and the words "designed by" can be seen on it, and some of the VIN. The third place is on the rear of the body, just above the bumper and to the left of the body seam, looks like numbers have been removed and painted over.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #150

Quote:
I was under our Uhaul last weekend checking things and replacing some of the body bolts. I could not find either the VIN plate or the document tube. I looked all over the frame and found nothing, I had the trailer up on ramps so I had some room to work and look. I think I recall Tom [or someone] saying there was some ID plate on the inside of the cabinet door that is below the sink. We don't have that either. Ours has the remains of the VIN in three places, on the bottom of the front window frame, looks like it may have been label maker tape, in deteriorating condition. Second place is a sticker below the left front side amber reflector, partially scraped off and the words "designed by" can be seen on it, and some of the VIN. The third place is on the rear of the body, just above the bumper and to the left of the body seam, looks like numbers have been removed and painted over.
I've only seen the VIN on the aluminum sticker under the reflector on the driver's side. The tongue has various plates welded on saying "property of" / "not property of UHaul".
Old 10-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #151

New York
no plates welded on our tongue, "Uhaul" is stamped in it
Old 10-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #152

Florida
Registry
No data on VIN plate?

Quote:
OK, I looked. There is a plate where you designated, but mine just says "Property of UHaul, Not to be Resold."
Mr. Tom,
That is interesting as it is the first one of 4 I have inspected that does not have the additional VIN and date of manufacture on the plate. Sorry, your's does not but if it is a stainless plate maybe they started doing it after your production number?

Mr. Bob,
It is located immediately behind the drivers side (USA) left wheel wheel on an interior vertical flat frame surface that is several inches behind where the tubular chassis (pipe/frame) is welded to it. It was heavily painted over and I could only detect it by cleaning away the paint between two small vertical welds , which are also easily overlooked.

Who ever was behind this clever coverup of the VIN is to be either congratulated or cursed depending on your individual perspective! I guess, for some, the hunt is still on!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
It is located immediately behind the drivers side (USA) left wheel wheel on an interior vertical flat frame surface that is several inches behind where the tubular chassis (pipe/frame) is welded to it. It was heavily painted over and I could only detect it by cleaning away the paint between two small vertical welds , which are also easily overlooked. ........
Mr. Don,

Maybe I misunderstood you. Does the plate face the center of the trailer or the outside? The plate I saw faced outward, i.e. was welded to the outer surface of the flat frame behind where the tubing is attached.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #154

New York
Here's where I just looked. On the inside vertical surface of the driver side frame rail. The rail that runs front to back. To the rear of the round tube crossmember, the first one to the rear of the trailer from the wheel, there is a space about 12" long between that crossmember and the rear crossmember, there is one through bolt there that is for the bumper support on that side, there is another bolt farther forward. So is that 12" space on the inside of the frame rail where I should be looking? If so there is nothing there, the paint is so thin it wouldn't hide a plate or welds.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #155

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Mr. Don,

Maybe I misunderstood you. Does the plate face the center of the trailer or the outside? The plate I saw faced outward, i.e. was welded to the outer surface of the flat frame behind where the tubing is attached.
Mr. Tom,

That is correct, it faces outboard so you can read it just by kneeing down. It is only welded with very thin vertical beads at the leading and trailing edge and the plate is not much larger than a drivers license. The fact that they painted over it was very clever so as to hide it! (thieves, etc.) Scraping the paint off (or using paint remover) between those welds reveals the data plate...

Both of the other CTs at the rally had them but their owners were also
unaware they were there until we looked together...
Old 10-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #156

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Here's where I just looked. On the inside vertical surface of the driver side frame rail. The rail that runs front to back. To the rear of the round tube crossmember, the first one to the rear of the trailer from the wheel, there is a space about 12" long between that crossmember and the rear crossmember, there is one through bolt there that is for the bumper support on that side, there is another bolt farther forward. So is that 12" space on the inside of the frame rail where I should be looking? If so there is nothing there, the paint is so thin it wouldn't hide a plate or welds.
Mr. Bob,
Just by kneeling down, in front of the rear bumper and behind the left wheel well,you should be able to see that flat vertical frame section you described and then see two thin vertical weld beads about 2" long and about 3 1/2 ' apart that are located about 2" aft of where the outer curved tubular frame section is welded to that interior section (angle iron) you described. If it's not there, maybe they did this later in the production run or at one of the
production sites but not at another?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #157

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
I have a plate there that says "not uhaul property" however, it appears to be welded over top of another plate.
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #158

New York
I looked again, no plate, and no evidence that there ever was one!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #159

Florida
Registry
Quote:
I looked again, no plate, and no evidence that there ever was one!
Sorry it was not there as I know you would have liked to have it instead of
having to make one...
Old 10-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #160

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighth001 View Post
I have a plate there that says "not uhaul property" however, it appears to be welded over top of another plate.
Interesting!

Tags
uhaul, windows