New old stock uhaul side windows - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #161

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We must have an early '84, Don when we get to Florida you can come look, and yes I would have liked to have it. But what I like the most is how everyone here shares information and knowledge, that makes this a great site!!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #162

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We must have an early '84, Don when we get to Florida you can come look, and yes I would have liked to have it. But what I like the most is how everyone here shares information and knowledge, that makes this a great site!!
Mr. Bob,
Absolutely agree!
Old 10-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #163

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I noticed that they are down to the last three windows and two are missing a handle and one is missing a piece of glass. Last chance!
Old 10-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #164

Quote:
I looked again, no plate, and no evidence that there ever was one!
I was tucking mine in for the winter and slid underneath to take these pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3874.JPG   IMG_3871.JPG  

Old 10-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #165

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I noticed that they are down to the last three windows and two are missing a handle and one is missing a piece of glass. Last chance!
I was wondering if the supply was going to run out! Probably they are all right side windows?
Old 10-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #166

Quote:
I was wondering if the supply was going to run out! Probably they are all right side windows?
Yes, ad now says passenger side only.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #167

Florida
Registry
Quote:
I was tucking mine in for the winter and slid underneath to take these pictures.
Mr. Tom,

Thanks for posting those pics. That is exactly the plate and location but it apparently your numbers were not stamped on it like the others I have seen.

Here is the plate on my #2 unrestored CT. Note the VIN at top and
date of man. below...appears they may have decided to start stamping the numbers on that plate a little later in production , before it was welded on, as the numbers are definitely hand stamped.
Attached Thumbnails
UHAUL VIN Plate #2.jpg   UHAUL VIN plate #2a.jpg  

Old 10-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #168

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
Mr. Mike,
Unless the VTs were done differently, which is very possible, you may have another s/s plate as well...
got around to cleaning it off with a wire brush on a drill and indeed it is SS but the VIN numbers are different than the sticker only the last 6 agree. photos attached
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03432.jpg   DSC03435.jpg  

mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #169

Florida
Registry
Neato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
got around to cleaning it off with a wire brush on a drill and indeed it is SS but the VIN numbers are different than the sticker only the last 6 agree. photos attached
Mr. Mike,
I was starting to think I was the ONLY one with a stamped VIN!

Thanks for the pics. So apparently they were doing it on the VTs as well (at least some of them)

I just discovered the secret tube, on a second CT I have, still has paperwork in it. But, I have left it undisturbed, at least for now...

For some the hunt remains...
Old 10-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #170

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
My plate does not match my VIN on the title the sticker inside the door does, I believe the plate is a "UHaul" property control system ID.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #171

Florida
Registry
An old thread about UHaul VIN locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
My plate does not match my VIN on the title the sticker inside the door does, I believe the plate is a "UHaul" property control system ID.
Don't know if his older thread is accurate but possibly worth a look for some...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-25141.html
Old 11-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #172

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Woo Hoo!!
Got my 2 NOS side windows installed, with the assist from my hubby (needed those strong man hands to help get that window pried out and into place!). All of the very detailed instructions from Bob (mary and bob) were a HUGE help, along with my review of all the other installation comments from everyone else. Thanks also, Bob, for the loan of the installation tool!!
My biggest piece of advise is to take it slow, and don't rush it. We did NOT lubricate when installing the window, we just took our time, with one of us outside and the other inside (and a couple of sturdy butter knives each). We DID use lubrication when installing the lockstrip on the inside of the windows and that was absolutely needed in order to get the lock strip installation tool to slide along the groove and force the lockstrip into place. I used a small paint brush to get the water/dishsoap lubricant into the groove ahead of my hubby pushing the lockstrip tool along. It kept the mess to a minimum.
Like most of you, I had to buy two 'passenger' side windows instead of a 'righty and a lefty'. So I chose to install the one that goes on the driver side in an 'upside down' position so it would still slide 'forward' to open (just like the passenger side does). This meant that I had to drill out some drain holes. I don't know if they're going to do the job, but if needed, I'll widen them once I go through a rainstorm. Have not caulked anything yet, since its in protected pole barn for winter. But I'm really happy to have them in place!!

So, to all the helpful people who have been posting directions and photos, I give you a BIG Okra THANKS!!

Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #173

New York
Great news, I've been waiting to hear it was done. Did you also use the hook tool I sent? I would think that you will have to seal up the drain holes that are now on the top, or will you, now that I think a little more. I suppose that if water gets in them it will just run down the glass. Did you make the new holes go through the glass channel, I think that is necessary for good drainage. Bob
Old 11-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #174

Florida
Registry
Ms. Pam,
Congratulations! You, and Mr. Bob, have set the pace for us that still need to do the install. Thanks for the details of how it went as it will be helpful along with the other info!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #175

Quote:
......... Did you make the new holes go through the glass channel, I think that is necessary for good drainage. Bob
Yes, the water needs to be able to get past the U channel liner to the weep hole, so it requires a notch to be cut in it on the bottom / side.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #176

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Yep we went through the U channel liner too. I'm just concerned that the holes will not drain well, due to their smaller size. I put 8 holes across the bottom, with the plan that if I don't see enough drainage, we'll need to use a zip tool or something similar to open up the area between each 'set' of 2 holes. That way we'll wind up with 4 drain slots. I'll be doing all the calking later towards spring. We used the hook tool to pull out the 'fold-in' lockstrip on the passenger side, and also used it for some of the window installation. And Bob, your measurements were perfect! I wound up with approx 8" of weatherstripping left over. Just let me know where you want the tools sent back to!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #177

New York
Pam; So can I assume that you are in agreement with me that the AS 1456 weatherstrip and AS 789B lockstrip is the correct ones to use? You can send the tools back to me. Still have my address?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #178

Name: Andrew
Trailer: 13' U-Haul CT
Ohio
I have also recently installed my 2 new passenger side windows with the help of Bobs instructions. I have a good amount of weather stripping and lock stripping left over to sell for cheap if anyone wants it. It is the AS 1456 weatherstrip and AS 789B that Bob recommended and fit perfect. I also flipped the window on the driver side and drilled 4 small holes on the bottom.

I also took apart the smaller window in the door but am looking for some parts if anyone has a clue to where I could find the following..

Its the inner sliding felt track that is on the bottom and sides of the small window. Click here for a picture.

Thanks,
Andrew
awroyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by awroyce View Post

Its the inner sliding felt track that is on the bottom and sides of the small window. Click here for a picture.

Thanks,
Andrew
The felt U channel is the same stuff as the other windows use. Tell me how long a piece you need and I'll send it for the postage.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #180

Name: Andrew
Trailer: 13' U-Haul CT
Ohio
Quote:
The felt U channel is the same stuff as the other windows use. Tell me how long a piece you need and I'll send it for the postage.

Thanks Tom, after more searching it looks like this is what I need.
Weatherstrip-Trims, All Rubber Glass Run Channels with Flocked Lining

It looks like I would need 30 inches of that felt to replace the old felt in the door window. Please let me know if you have enough and I will pay you for your time/postage, thanks!

Do you also have any input if this is the correct inner gasket for the large front window?
https://shop.scamptrailers.com/p-431...ce-per-ft.aspx
awroyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul, windows