New old stock uhaul side windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: 86 Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
New old stock uhaul side windows

Hi all,

I just found these online and ordered a pair for my ct-13.

Miscellaneous Auto Parts

I'll let you know if they fit when they come in.
Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wow! What a find. Super reasonable price, too.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I need to measure my side window on the VT to see if it's the same size. I wonder how many they have of these?
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: 86 Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
I contacted the seller , they have over a 100.
Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #5

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
thx for pointing it out. I ordered one to try too. hopefully it will replace the awful plexiglass job the PO did on one of my sides.
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #6

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
Amazing discovery! Thanks for sharing the info and looking forward to
hearing how it fits.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #7

I just measured the VT's side window opening and these won't work for us. At least all the CT13 owners should be happy!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #8

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
I'm curious if someone had a batch manufactured or if these were old Uhaul surplus that just turned up.

anyways, will be excited to get mine in. I've been all over ebay and other online stores trying to find RV, Boat, Horse trailer windows that might fit, glad to finally find something.
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #9

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Thank you so very much for this!!!!! I also have been checking online, on and off for a long time. I ordered one as well. This will savie time on the clean up of years of black ugly goo I have on my windows. Windows will be put in tthis winter I hope.
Again, Thanks for sharing and GREAT FIND!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #10

A question to CT owners: Do you have the same sliding windows on both sides of the CT or is your driver's side window also an emergency exit window? In our VT, the driver's side window has a special pull for a quick exit in case of fire (or an attack of Africanized bees!). Just wondering as people start ordering these as replacements. Are you doing both sides?
Old 09-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
way to go Tom!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
This thread is a great example of the usefulness of this forum. One kind soul finds a great deal on a very hard to find item, shares it here, and many are reaping the benefits. That's the way the world should work.

Thumbs up Tom!
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
A question to CT owners: Do you have the same sliding windows on both sides of the CT or is your driver's side window also an emergency exit window? In our VT, the driver's side window has a special pull for a quick exit in case of fire (or an attack of Africanized bees!). Just wondering as people start ordering these as replacements. Are you doing both sides?
Kevin, the windows themselves are the same. The difference is the mounting weatherstrip on one side has an orange plastic handle to yank out the locking strip on the weather strip. When I did mine, I used that same weatherstrip on both sides, but only installed the handle on the one side.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #14

Florida
Registry
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
This thread is a great example of the usefulness of this forum. One kind soul finds a great deal on a very hard to find item, shares it here, and many are reaping the benefits. That's the way the world should work.

Thumbs up Tom!
AMEN!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Well not to throw a wrench in the works BUT, I have all the measurements from having a side window out and replacing it with a Scamp window. The opening in our Uhaul measures 24 5/8 wide by 19 1/8 high. The original window that I have here in front of me measures overall 24 1/8 X 18 3/4, the measurements not including that ridge that sets in the weatherstrip are 23 1/4 X 17 7/8. The Scamp window that I bought fits an opening of 23 7/8 X 17 7/8, it is too small for the Uhaul opening and this is the measurement they are giving for these NOS windows. So the big question is, are these actually Uhaul windows and they are not giving the correct opening size, but the measurement not including that edge that fits in the rubber? And on our Uhaul there is a difference in the left and right window, it is so the sliding glass on both opens from the rear and slides forward, sort of a mirror image of each other. If they are actual Uhaul windows they should be stamped "Uhaul not to be sold". Anyone checked into this further? And what about the shipping cost, the way they add it in after you place the order I don't like. Tried calling them, but too late today. Anyone get a shipping quote?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #16

Florida
Registry
The plot thickens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Well not to throw a wrench in the works BUT, I have all the measurements from having a side window out and replacing it with a Scamp window. The opening in our Uhaul measures 24 5/8 wide by 19 1/8 high. The original window that I have here in front of me measures overall 24 1/8 X 18 3/4, the measurements not including that ridge that sets in the weatherstrip are 23 1/4 X 17 7/8. The Scamp window that I bought fits an opening of 23 7/8 X 17 7/8, it is too small for the Uhaul opening and this is the measurement they are giving for these NOS windows. So the big question is, are these actually Uhaul windows and they are not giving the correct opening size, but the measurement not including that edge that fits in the rubber? And on our Uhaul there is a difference in the left and right window, it is so the sliding glass on both opens from the rear and slides forward, sort of a mirror image of each other. If they are actual Uhaul windows they should be stamped "Uhaul not to be sold". Anyone checked into this further? And what about the shipping cost, the way they add it in after you place the order I don't like. Tried calling them, but too late today. Anyone get a shipping quote?
Mr. Bob,
Good catch and THANKS for that info!!! I called the business and got a quote of $30 for two to Miami but did not buy them. I asked if they had any others like the forward, rear and door windows. They said no, only these.

So far the hunt does appear better than the catch but time will tell!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #17

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Kevin, the windows themselves are the same. The difference is the mounting weatherstrip on one side has an orange plastic handle to yank out the locking strip on the weather strip. When I did mine, I used that same weatherstrip on both sides, but only installed the handle on the one side.
Thanks Thomas G., I was wondering about the exit window myself. You have answered that question well.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #18

New York
Don: that $30 shipping cost is reasonable. I suspect that whoever put in the opening size measured the window less the ridge that sets in the rubber, not realizing how the windows are installed. Makes me nervous though when they don't tell you shipping when you place the order because they can add in a "handling charge" of whatever they want. It cost me $60 in shipping to get a rear and one side window from Scamp, but they made a wooden box with some rug like padding, 1 X 6 sides and 1/4" luan plywood for the top & bottom, screwed & glued together. If you haven't seen where I previously posted it, a Scamp rear window will fit into a Uhaul, at least it did in ours, by widening the opening about 1/2" on each side and installing the clamp ring backwards. The rear window was $160. The Scamp windows are Hehr, and even with the numbers on the window I can't find them online, or anything anywhere as low priced as from Scamp. If I can get a reasonable shipping cost on these NOS windows I'll order two, but I'll bet they're not packaged like those from Scamp! Bob
Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #19

Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Hi all,

I just found these online and ordered a pair for my ct-13.

Miscellaneous Auto Parts

I'll let you know if they fit when they come in.
I was wondering about the shipping costs too. Don't want to jump the gun for a good deal and get shot in the foot.
The opening on my windows on the TrailMite are exactly those measurements (23 and 1/8 and 17 and 7/8) We just took one out to measure. Figure they weren't the original, but with this trailer not much probably is, so going for what works for us.
I also need to know if when you order windows, do they automatically come with the inner retaining frame (Don't know what else to call it, but it is what is on ours now and it is what clamps the outside to the inside)? Doesn't show it on the window, but neither do the Scamp ones...
I looked at Scamp windows and they are so expensive in comparison. Can anyone also tell me what the Scamp windows are made of? Don't see that on website either, just sizes & cost...aluminum?
I'll try calling Surplus Sales tomorrow, but figured it would be good to get feed back from here first.
TaniaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #20

New York
The retaining frame is called a clamp ring, and they come in different width or thickness, however you want to look at it, depending on wall thickness. when I ordered the windows from Scamp I said I needed the clamp rings, but they don't show on the bill so I assume they are included with the window. the Scamp windows were the best price I could find. Uhaul side windows don't use a clamp ring, they set in a rubber weatherstrip seal, so if these are actual Uhaul windows, and they appear to be, they won't work in your trailer . The Scamp windows are aluminum. read my previous post for the measurements.

Tags
uhaul, windows