New Old Stock Window Shock! Help, Please - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #15

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Diane: I don't think fiberglass patch here is the answer. What I did with the aluminum is cut a piece larger than the opening, then cut out the correct size opening for the window in the aluminum. I then attached this aluminum adapter to the outside of the trailer with resin and a few screws. Then I just set the window into the opening. Note that I was using a Scamp window that has a flange and uses a clamp ring on the inside. Worked OK, and I now have a jalousie window on the right side. However the 1/8" aluminum was quite expensive, around $60 for a piece big enough to do two windows, although I only did one and then installed one of those NOS windows on the other side. Used the cut out piece of aluminum for my drawer front that I put in place of the furnace, and another door to access storage below the furnace space. Your best bet is to get one of those custom made windows and install it, you'll have to provide them with the opening size. I'm wondering if your oversize opening was a factory screwup. At one time I posted a couple pictures of our trailer and one was of the side with the Scamp window, but I can't locate that thread now. The opening size on our uhaul for the side window is 24 5/8 wide, 19 1/8 high, what does yours measure. And yes the new weatherstrip is slightly narrower than the original but works OK. Don't forget to seal up those two 1/8" holes at the top of the window frame, the new weatherstrip doesn't cover them.
Bob, I'm taking a look to see if I can find the thread that you're referring to.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #16

Michigan
Registry
Here is one thread on installing windows with the clamp ring. Replacement windows for 85' U-Haul 13'

And a couple more:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/putting-scamp-window-in-uhaul-ct13-55761.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/window-corner-radius-54862.html

Old 03-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #17

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Tom, how do you think the Higgina window would look on the trailer with a clamp ring
when the other side is rubber? How do you measure for the right size to be made.
The only way I could do this would be to sell my New Old stock window.
I also have the old ones as well.
I don't think that anyone would notice unless you pointed it out. The front and rear windows use a clamp ring and I really didn't notice the difference until I started working on the windows. I'd also note that the clamp ring style seals much more positively with the butyl caulk than the problematic rubber seal on the side windows. Since the window is custom, you tell the supplier what the opening size is, including corner radius and wall thickness (and left or right side). The supplier makes a window to fit.

As I recall the final price was less than $150.
Replacement windows for 85' U-Haul 13'
That only buys one good session with a psychiatrist these days.

I think that you could sell your old windows and the new old stock window on eBay for a good price. There is a steady demand and they ain't makin' 'em no mo.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Diane, there you go, Tom & I agree to go with the custom sized clamp ring window. Unless you're trying to end up with a perfect restoration, nobody will notice the difference in windows. No one has commented on my side windows being totally different, or about the aluminum adapter. I'm curious as to the measurements of your window opening, post that when you get a chance. I'll bet it was a factory mistake, and at that point the easiest thing for them was stick a window in and let the Uhaul location deal with the problem.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #19

Name: Robert
Trailer: CT13
Indiana
Diane I am always here to help just like everyone else. My number is three 1 7 650 one one 69. From what I have read so far I think I can help. I will need all your rough opening sizes so I can make sure we order the correct size for your opening. After ordered the take about 3 weeks to be made and shipped to you.

Robert Higginbotham
Old 03-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #20

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higginra View Post
Diane I am always here to help just like everyone else. My number is three 1 7 650 one one 69. From what I have read so far I think I can help. I will need all your rough opening sizes so I can make sure we order the correct size for your opening. After ordered the take about 3 weeks to be made and shipped to you.

Robert Higginbotham
Robert, when you had your windows made, did they make the right and left windows differently or are they identical?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #21

Name: Robert
Trailer: CT13
Indiana
Identical
Old 03-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #22

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I would say Robert's discovery of this supplier is the next best, if not better solution as the NOS windows.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #23

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Folks I have been so disheartened...It really makes me feel good to know you are trying to help me. I feel humbled by this experience, you are so kind. I do respect your opinions so much. I will call Robert.
It's Easter and going to dinner but will get back with you later. Have a great Easter!
Old 03-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #24

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
I would say Robert's discovery of this supplier is the next best, if not better solution as the NOS windows.
I think that UHaul only used the gasket-installed side window so they could double it as an emergency exit. The clamp ring is a superior design, thus their use on the front and rear window.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #25

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I think that UHaul only used the gasket-installed side window so they could double it as an emergency exit. The clamp ring is a superior design, thus their use on the front and rear window.

I find it kind of odd that they used the two different types of weatherstrip on the side windows, so that only the one is an emergency escape. I would think it would be easier to stock and use just the one type.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #26

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
I find it kind of odd that they used the two different types of weatherstrip on the side windows, so that only the one is an emergency escape. I would think it would be easier to stock and use just the one type.
I would think it would have been just easier to buy 2000 Scamps or Burros and rent them.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #27

Michigan
Registry
Just trying some outside-the-box thinking. I've heard so many people rave about moldable epoxy putty that I'm wondering if it might be of use in this case? If this window opening is only 1/4" too large on all sides, would it be possible to get the edge ultra clean and then just mold the epoxy putty along that edge and once it's all cured, then just install the NOS window in the regular way?
If it doesn't work, it would be just a matter of cleaning off the epoxy putty and ordering the custom window. Your thoughts?
Old 03-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #28

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
If the seal still fits the shell OK after it was cut you can could get a piece of plexiglass cut to fit. Like the old Scamp front and rear windows. Quick and cheap. Just another option.
Eddie