New owner 1978 Trillum 4500 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #1

Name: Billy
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
Talking New owner 1978 Trillum 4500

Just bought this trailer in Frisco Texas.Have started trying to get it ready for 1st trip but have some questions hope someone can help.
Will top handle ac?Has anyone had a window type installed under front sofa or rear table.Can the fiberglass be cut so as to install ac?I just need some ideas as where to install air.
I'm open to any help
Thanks
Billy
stone89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #2

Name: Doug
Ontario
I have a 77 Trillium 4500 that I have recently purchased. You cannot mount anything to the roof, the roof has no structure to support the weight of an AC. Some people have mounted an AC in the rear window, but I think the wall is not strong enough when the trailer is being pulled down a rough road. That is still a lot of weight bouncing around.

I have been considering looking for a small portable unit that would sit inside the trailer on a stand with the hose that exhausts heat to the outside. You could either cut a hole for a 4" hose, or make a plexiglass window for the rear window. I was thinking about making a stand that would hold a portable AC in the bed area 12" above the cushions so our feet would fit under it while sleeping.
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #3

Texas
Mounting AC on roof

Thanks Doug for you response about AC on roof of 4500.I have been told that Casita is now doing something like you are considering.Putting a small window AC under a bench??? up front.Had one guy say he had a metal tray built and put a small window AC in it and built a vent like you
were thanking 4".
I have tried the portible AC and it didn't work.Now that was in 90 plus weather.I understand they work okay in 85 or less.
I only live about 100 miles from Rice Tx where Casita factory is.I may drive down there and check out what they are doing.Will let you know
if I go.
Thanks
Billy
Old 08-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Billy

On my 4500 I had a rear window that was split and 1/2 was standard Jalousie bit the other 1/2 was a swing up emergency exit window,is yours like that?

I made a platform and window sill that was easily removable and yet strong enough to have a decent size window AC unit in there when parked.

I also tried a portable and it would not do the job but the window unit did OK as long as it was not 100 degrees here.

Some newer window units are made so that when in a window they are balanced 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the window unlike the older units that mostly hung outside and were harder to balance sitting in the window.

I would not put a unit on the roof.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #5

Texas
Window AC

Thanks Ed That's probably how I will do mine.Although I have a friend who wants me to install a small window unit under the front storage area.
Casita has a setup where they have small AC (window) setup in a closet or storage area.Not sure how they are doing it but trying to find out.They are using Fredrick (sp) AC I understand.This is in some recent units sold.

Friends idea is building small sheet metal tray with rear part of AC (part that usally hangs out window)isolated from front part.Then he will cut a 4" or 5" hole in body for exhausting the hot air.Also small hose or pipe out bottom of tray for drain.My question was cutting hole might cause damage,cracks to fiberglass.His answer is making 2 flanges same size.One on outside and one on inside riveted together.He has been visiting with sheet metal guy working on getting some done.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #6

Cold air drops,you don't want it starting off on the floor!

I have had the Casita with the front air in a closet,it has been an option for a long time.
I got rid of that one and now have one with a Rooftop unit,no comparison you want the AC up as high as practical.

Search for Fred Simson's AC journey in his Fiberstream,I think it tells the whole story?

I know it is not as simple or quick to make one that has to be removed all the time but I came up with a quick insert and mount deal that made it all pretty easy.
Sorry I can't find any pics of it quick but I sat in my 4500 in our 100 degree + summers here and with the window unit and the blinds closed I could tolerate things even during the day!

I have also seen ones where the unit was stuck in the window while on the road but this just didn't seem like a good idea to me when it was so easy to take in and out and it was nice when I didn't need it that it was not blocking the view.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #7

Texas
A/C location

Had a visit with friend this am and he agrees we need to look at the window unit as you mentioned.So here we go will let you know how it goes.Will be awhile getting it done got other thing I need to do before I start ac
Thanks Ed you were much help
Old 08-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Registry
A/C Unit

Am I the only person who thinks that a A/C unit is not required for a small trailer.
I have a 30 ft toy hauler that I have had since 2006 and I still have not run the A/C. If you still insist on a unit. I saw a window unit dismantled and the evaporator put in upper clothes closet and the condenser put in the lower storage area. It was a nice install but I think it was totally unnessary. Good Luck on your choice.
Alex C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #9

Texas
Thanks Alex
Old 08-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C View Post
Am I the only person who thinks that a A/C unit is not required for a small trailer.
I have a 30 ft toy hauler that I have had since 2006 and I still have not run the A/C. If you still insist on a unit. I saw a window unit dismantled and the evaporator put in upper clothes closet and the condenser put in the lower storage area. It was a nice install but I think it was totally unnessary. Good Luck on your choice.
Well Alex I think it probably depends on where you will camp and how hot it might get,don't you really?

Here in the STL area we often reach 100 degrees or so for a lot of the Summer(although not this Summer?) and it is just too sweaty to sleep for many.

In Florida or Texas or Oklahoma or......

I wish I were made of whatever tough stock you are,it would be easier for sure.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #11

Texas
Air Cond

Here in Ft Worth area been 100 to 105 for 15 plus days.I got 2 AC's on top of my 5th wheel
Billy
Old 08-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 4500
Registry
My nephew lives Colleyville, Tx and I do agree it does get very hot in July and August. I live near Buffalo and it rarely gets hot for many days. So if your camping down south in the summer you probably do need AC. I must admit I do Love the heat.
Alex C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #13

Texas
Yes it gets hot and gotta have our AC"s.But sometimes it get over bearing.Know where Collyeville is Not that far from me
Billy