New Owner (24 hours) Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #1

Name: Melissa
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16'
Maine
New Owner (24 hours) Question

Hi all,

Just left the factory yesterday with our new 16 footer! My question is about the fridge. We opted for the larger size and it seems like when on electric it just could not get cold. Waited 18 hours. When I set it to propane it got cold in about 4. Could anyone comment on this. I checked the outlet and it's live and I assume this brand new fridge should be working? Do you guys cool with propane then maintain on electric, or am I just too impatient?

Melissa
Watership DownEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Slow to cool

Our fridge is, I believe, the middle size that Scamp offers and it is slow to cool on electric. We've never tried cooling it from the start with gas. We typically turn it on electrically the day before leaving and put a couple frozen gallon water jugs in it. We put cold food in it the morning that we leave as the fridge is cold by then. When we stop for the night, we turn it back on, either electric, if available, or gas. We're usually not on the road for more than 6-hours and find it stays cold without power for that time.

Fyi, there is moisture collection trough in the back of our fridge that needs to be watched and dump occasionally.

Enjoy your Scamp,

David
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watership DownEast View Post
... it seems like when on electric it just could not get cold. Waited 18 hours. When I set it to propane it got cold in about 4.
By electric do you mean 120V or 12V?
Did you have the appropriate input set right?

From personal experience with 2 different fridges. Propane works best, followed by 120V, 12V is the least efficient and will kill a battery quickly. We only occasionally (rare) use it on long trips to maintain temp while getting power from the tow vehicle.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Congratulations, Melissa, on your new Scamp!

In this case, just picked up and do not know if electric is really working, it seems, you might let the refrigerator and freezer go to room temp. Then turn on the refrigerator again. In an hour or two, it should be obvious that the freezer is working. I would not expect the refrigerator to take 18 hours, however, it does take many hours to get a proper temp. That is why people often turn it on the day before. I assume you have put it on electric setting as mentioned above.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The refrigerator usually has a standard 120 VAC plug into a matching outlet. You might look around back and see if someone forgot to plug it in.... Also check that outlet for power while you are there.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If the trailer is level, that helps too. Open the frig door and feel the floor of the freezer, that will let you know if its working. I would recommend a thermometer, either wired or wireless so you can monitor the temp without opening the door.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Welcome Melissa, and congratulations.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote