New owner learning question another - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #41

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I looked at the Swing Away jack at HF as a solution to my problem with the Hunter (see post #24 above) and deemed it a little to cheesy for support when parked and using the trailer. Others may differ......
When using one of these type jacks your stabilizers are a lot more important to keep the trailer still, if your unit does not have them in the front, I'd suggest using the screw up ones sold at HF in conjunction with this jack, works fine.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #42

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The current height for a stock Scamp may be 18", but I have no idea what it is for Judi's Scamp. My much larger 1979 Boler 1700 is at 16", and an early Scamp - especially a 13' model - would have likely been lower.

You need the right height for your specific trailer.
Brian...you touched on something I am learning about. Like Judi, this is a newer experience for me. I have a 13ft Scamp being delivered in Oct. I have a 2013 jeep Wrangler with the tow pkg. I was at Walmart yesterday looking at (need the right term here) the ball attached to the bar which goes into my receiver. It seems to me the one with a 2" drop would work. Before buying, I thought I would ask on this forum as it deals with hitch heights. I came home and measured my receiver from the ground. It is 19 1/4 " from the center of the receiver opening to the ground. I have read where it is good for the trailer to slightly drop for proper towing. Like Judi experienced, to high and it will sway. I need to get this prior to delivery but cannot find any information with specific heights etc. thanks for any advice.
Hman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #43

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
For $60 you can get an adjustable ball mount and not be worried about the minutia, that way you will always be able to compensate. Look here MaxxTow Adjustable-Height Ball Mount - 2" Hitch - 10" Drop, 8" Rise - 5,000 lbs MaxxTow Ball Mounts MT70067
Old 08-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #44

Alabama
Thanks Jim.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #45

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
For $60 you can get an adjustable ball mount and not be worried about the minutia, that way you will always be able to compensate. Look here MaxxTow Adjustable-Height Ball Mount - 2" Hitch - 10" Drop, 8" Rise - 5,000 lbs MaxxTow Ball Mounts MT70067
I think the adjustable height models would be great for cases where you may have to tow multiple trailers with the same tug, and have the option of adjusting the hitch for each trailer. However, it is quite heavy compared to a non-adjustable version and in some instances could really lower the clearance between the bottom of your hitch and the ground. I personally would confirm the trailer and hitch heights, and then purchase a unit that is matched to your trailer/tug combination. (It is a whole different issue if you want a WDH).

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #46

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
I found the info on ball and drop etc in the scamp web site and copied it off to take to my hitch people. Sad to say they misread it as 20" or above (Ziebart). It was a good teaching experience for me especially as I survived the 8 1/2 hour drive home with blowout and rush hours and all interstate highways. The 13' scamp unstructions say 16".
Infogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #47

Alabama
Thanks Dave. I checked out the site and was wondering that. I am only going to tow it with my Jeep, so I think it is more than I need and it looked heavy, not to mention more money. So, is my measurement(19 1/4") to the center of the receiver the appropriate way to measure? I'll ask Scamp what 13ft trailer height is. Was I correct on my other observations? Slight drop? So, if I was to get a 2" drop, my center would be 17 1/4" from the ground. Would an ideal trailer height be like a 16" height from the ground?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #48

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
16" did not work on my 16' scamp. 17 1/2" works.
Infogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #49

Alabama
Sorry to hear that Judi...so glad you are ok. So, the manual says what exactly is 16"? The trailer hitch height to the ground? If so, see my comments, I may be exactly in good shape with the 2" drop.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #50

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: Post #41. I prefer the solid feel of at least one point anchored to the ground. Plus, adding two more pieces of hardware to deal with in the dark doesn't have that much appeal for moi.

RE: Post RE #42 Also the age of the axle/amount of sag may also figure into ideal hitch ball height.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #51

Alabama
Bob...it's a new Scamp (re: post #42)

Check out my last post with my specifics, relative to Judi's numbers. Am I thinking correctly?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #52

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Exactly right, and why hitch height numbers from other SCAMP owners may not be correct. Best bet is to start with the factory suggested value, and we know that they never make mistreaks

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #53

Alabama
Ill try to find the exact hitch height from the ground today for my 13'. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #54

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
For $60 you can get an adjustable ball mount and not be worried about the minutia, that way you will always be able to compensate.
Right, but $60 buys three fixed mounts of different heights, and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
I think the adjustable height models would be great for cases where you may have to tow multiple trailers with the same tug, and have the option of adjusting the hitch for each trailer. However, it is quite heavy compared to a non-adjustable version and in some instances could really lower the clearance between the bottom of your hitch and the ground. I personally would confirm the trailer and hitch heights, and then purchase a unit that is matched to your trailer/tug combination. (It is a whole different issue if you want a WDH).
I agree with Deryk. In addition, adjustable mounts usually push the ball further back (bad for adverse load transfer and stability), and they introduce another joint to potentially move and rattle.

I think an adjustable mount would be good to have for those occasional one-time needs, and to confirm the setup for a new trailer, but I wouldn't routinely tow with one.

I don't have an adjustable ball mount... just four fixed mounts of different heights and lengths.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
I came home and measured my receiver from the ground. It is 19 1/4 " from the center of the receiver opening to the ground. I have read where it is good for the trailer to slightly drop for proper towing... I need to get this prior to delivery but cannot find any information with specific heights etc. thanks for any advice.
The standard is to refer to the top of the opening (rather than the centre); assuming this is a 2" receiver that makes it 20-1/4" from ground to the top of the receiver.

Now working from the trailer end...
Assume Scamp's 18" value is correct - that's from ground to the top of the ball but a typical ball is about 3" tall, so the base of the ball would be 15" off the ground.

Putting the two together: the top of the mounting platform for the ball (the ball mount) must be 5-1/4" below the top of the receiver box (20-1/4" minus 15"), so that's about a 5" drop. Ball mounts typically only come in 2" increments of drop, and the receiver will drop a bit under the weight of the trailer anyway, so a ball mount with a 4" drop should be about right. If the correct trailer coupler height is 16" instead of 18", that's a 6" drop... and so on.

H, I assume that you got 2" because you were starting from the middle of the receiver box (instead of the top), and you didn't account for the ball height.

If you hook the new trailer up and find that you want the next ball mount drop higher or lower, just buy one then... they're cheap. You do need a wrench or two to move the ball over from the old mount to the new one, but surely Scamp would have those. The Boy Scouts among us would presumably go to pick up the trailer with three mounts (expected, one higher, one lower) and wrenches...
Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Best bet is to start with the factory suggested value, and we know that they never make mistreaks
Old 08-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #57

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
I suppose a person could buy a ball mount of what they think is "most likely right" at a chain store like a O'Reilly or even wally world, and then when you get to the place to pick up the trailer, try it in the parking lot. If it's the wrong one, just hop in the truck and head to the local retail outlet and exchange for the correct height. Would save the money of having extra ball mounts that may never use.

Me personally......sheesh..... I'm one of those that has a half dozen different ball mounts around. We have enough different trailers around that are in constant motion it seems, pulled by various trucks, it's just easier to have a good variety, with balls already mounted.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #58

Alabama
Thanks Brian, that's the first time anyone ever explained the formula. Fortunately, I didn't buy anything yet. Now, for any owners of a newer 13ft Scamp....what is the actual trailer coupler height? I will call Scamp too, but I would like to actually see what owners experience as their coupler height.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #59

Alabama
Thanks George but I am in the category of.... this is the only item ill be towing with only my jeep. Like you said, I'm going to Wally World once I fine tune this a little more....then when the delivery guy arrives hopefully, it will have the correct drop, but ill be able to exchange it if it doesn't look right.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #60

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
On my truck /scamp combo had a 3/4 in rise 2 in drop draw bar, rise to high (trailer had a slight wiggle at speed) thought 2 in drop was to low although wiggle went away.....bought a 1 in taller ball and like Goldilocks that combo is just right
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote