New Owner Needs Some Help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #1

Name: Leah
Trailer: Scamp
New Mexico
New Owner Needs Some Help

I just got my new(used) 1993 Scamp home from Colorado, successful trip, no problems. It has good tires and the wheel bearings are done. The camper is pretty dirty, has some unattractive remodels done to it, and will probably need new cushions, flooring, and curtains. The outside looks good structurally but several of the little caps are gone off of the rivets. The door needs a new seal. The “rat fur” looks pretty good but is coming loose at some of the seams. The inside door is filthy. L
I could use any suggestions about where to start the fixup.
Some questions I have.
What do I use to refasten the seams of the rat fur?
What is the best thing to clean and restore the exterior?
Are the rivet covers necessary and if so, where do I get replacements?
I have been reading several threads about cleaning the rat fur but am not sure what to use on the door. The rest is good.
I am so excited to have the Scamp home and am itching to get started cleaning it up!
Thanks!
LeahTookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
congrats on the new to you tailer!

You will find everything you need and at resonable prices at the Scamptrailers.com parts store.

You can buy a bag of caps that fit every size of rivet on the trailer. They just snap onto the plastic rings around the rivet. If the plastic ring is broken you will need to drill out the rivet and replace the ring. Scamp also sells a package containing the correct ring & rivets sizes as well. The caps are cosmetic only.

You can also get a new foam gasket for around the door from them as well.

I use 3M super 77 spray adhesive to secure loose rat fur but some people like to just use hot gun glue for more accuracy when doing only seams.

I have used a Woolite carpet cleaner to clean the rat fut on the bottom of my door. Vacuum the door well first and dont over scrub it as the rat fur tends to grow long if you do. ;-)

I have a 92 Scamp that spent the first 16 years of its life in the Idaho sun and had a pretty caulkie fiberglass finished. I used 3M Marine Restore and Wax with a wool power buffer to get it to shine again. If you google the site you will find that there are many ways of cleaning up the exterior.

Have fun with your trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #3

Name: Leah
Trailer: Scamp
New Mexico
Thanks Carol!
LeahTookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
BTW you should be able to pick up the caps from most hardware stores as well. I have found that different makes/brands of snaps dont always snap fully (tight to the fiberglass) if you try and put them on another makes/brands plastic rings. They are only a few cents a cap so its worth trying if you want to get some fast.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #5

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Go to prodec.com click on snap caps. The page that comes up will have two sizes which are what you need.
You can buy as few as one and they will mail then to you.
Much less expensive than Scamp.
Get a few more than you need now so you will have a few spares.
john
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
At the top of the page is a search feature. The drop down menu will give you two search blanks. Use the lower Google search. You will get lots of hits on each of your questions. Before I tackle a project I like to see what others did. Good luck with your new egg. Raz

ps welcome to the forum.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote