New owner of a 72 Trillium looking for retore help - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #15

Name: Carly
Trailer: 1971 13 ft Trillium / 04 Honda Element
New York
Send a message via AIM to carlyi
I have posted more pictures of the camper in more detail. The seal around the window looks horrible but I read above that I should be able to have an auto glass place fix this. The window is fine but the seal makes me nervous. The two green cabinets over the twin size bed were made by the previous owner. I think we are keeping them because he actually did a nice job. The ones over the dinette are coming out because I think they look horrible. Here's the link to the pics again: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1434...mp;l=2e3f5d85ee

Is it a huge PITA to remove the original cabinets to paint and clean?

Where can a I find a new lock for the door? It fell out.

Also, I was told this was a 72 but my title says 1971.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Carlyi, Sweet trailer! Congrats! Love the awning. Do you know the manufacture of it? Thanks Robin

Old 08-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #17

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Being as it is so early, your Trillium may be different than later ones. But typically, the original "furniture" is fiberglassed in, as far as I know. This is actually a good thing as it eliminates any hull penetrations in that area (such as for rivets). Not that there's anything wrong with rivets, but furniture tabbed in with fiberglass is even more maintenance-free. However that means its not easily removable.

Again, yours may be different because of being such an early model.

And, not to be a downer, but I can only imagine that the windows leaked, and the PO felt that caulking around the outside was the way to fix it. Unfortunately, that's not true. What needs to happen is for the windows to be taken out of the camper, the caulk cleaned up, and then the windows reinstalled. In the case of the framed windows, this would be with new caulk or butyl tape. But not around the outside of the window -- it should go under the flange, between the flange and the trailer shell, and not on the outside at all.

I would say that the fixed window with the rubber seal should also be removed, cleaned up, and then reinstalled (or replaced) with a new seal and lock strip.

This sort of thing is regular once-every-decade-or-so maintenance, but people often feel they can get by with just globbing caulk on the outside (or they genuinely don't understand that's not the way).

Robin, I'm not sure who made the Add-a-Rooms, but they were options that came along with the Trillium. I looked at one Trillium that had an entire "flower power" Add-a-Room (carlyi's has one "flower power" panel, it looks like).

Flower power!
Raya
Old 08-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #18

New York
Oh trust me, the whole inside is flower power! The outside is yellow. I found a Trillium brochure that shows the exact add a room we have. I just want to know who the heck came up with that color scheme!!

http://www.geocities.com/bolerama/tr...hure1974a.html

Looks like we might have had the original curtains too!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Oh trust me, the whole inside is flower power! The outside is yellow. I found a Trillium brochure that shows the exact add a room we have. I just want to know who the heck came up with that color scheme!!

If you have to ask then you're not old enough to remember. Those were typical colours back then!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #20

New York
Born in 78 so old enough to remember but I guess not old enough to understand why....hehehehe
Old 08-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #21

Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
-
Quote:
I have tried to contact Trillium 2 times with no reply, so I have relied on getting advise here.
Is it possible that you got the wrong email address? I know Tom at Trillium RV is usually fairly quick with email, or, as Roger pointed out, well worth the wait otherwise if he can't reply right away.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Is it possible that you got the wrong email address? I know Tom at Trillium RV is usually fairly quick with email, or, as Roger pointed out, well worth the wait otherwise if he can't reply right away.
This is the e-mail addresses I found on TrillumRV's website, is that who you are trying to contact?
Attached Images

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #23

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe/'78 Trillium 1300
Arkansas
Registry
Trillium 1300 Wiindow Glass Problems !@#$^&!!!

Note: Evidently I am "search challenged" for info on these gaskets since I have looked and looked to no avail. It was either time to ask the forum, or time to take up drinking.

Replacing ONE pane of glass has taken me more than three days and several trips to glass companies, RV stores, hardware stores, and even a specialty stained glass service. Everybody looks at my sample gaskets with interest and then says, "Nope, don't have it. Never seen it."

I need to know the following:

1. Are the T-strips absolutely necessary since they don't actually touch glass? What purpose do they serve?

2. Is there something else that can be used as the "glazing strip" as i was told it's called? How about just a bead of hot glue? It's easily removed and would provide a seal.

3. Is there a reason the kitchen panes I took out were some sort of (broken) textured plastic? They were obviously not original (two different materials). Could I just use glass? I don't know why I even want to after cracking two panes already trying to get it in with the wrong sized gasket.

So far everything about this window fix has gone really smoothly. I've removed and cleaned everything, readied new wood, patched a few cracked screw holes in the fiberglass. No big deal.
Who'd a thunk something this minor could do me in?

Thank you for ANY help!

Ruth
Old 07-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #24

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth C. View Post
Note: Evidently I am "search challenged" for info on these gaskets since I have looked and looked to no avail. It was either time to ask the forum, or time to take up drinking.

Replacing ONE pane of glass has taken me more than three days and several trips to glass companies, RV stores, hardware stores, and even a specialty stained glass service. Everybody looks at my sample gaskets with interest and then says, "Nope, don't have it. Never seen it."

I need to know the following:

1. Are the T-strips absolutely necessary since they don't actually touch glass? What purpose do they serve?

2. Is there something else that can be used as the "glazing strip" as i was told it's called? How about just a bead of hot glue? It's easily removed and would provide a seal.

3. Is there a reason the kitchen panes I took out were some sort of (broken) textured plastic? They were obviously not original (two different materials). Could I just use glass? I don't know why I even want to after cracking two panes already trying to get it in with the wrong sized gasket.

So far everything about this window fix has gone really smoothly. I've removed and cleaned everything, readied new wood, patched a few cracked screw holes in the fiberglass. No big deal.
Who'd a thunk something this minor could do me in?

Thank you for ANY help!

Ruth
Hi, Ruth

I'm a bit confused- the thread you bumped up is pretty old, and it sounds like your problem is pretty new!
I confess I don't understand your question.
Is this a louvered window panel, or what?
A picture of the problem would help a lot-

Francesca

EDIT P.S.
Is the trailer a Trillium?
I ask because your avatar indicates you have a Casita.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #25

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hey Ruth, sorry you're having these problems, I know it's a PITA. See if anything on this page will help. Moldings, etc start about 1/2 way down or so. I understand Interstate are nice people to work with, don't let the company name throw you:

Interstate Metal Fabricators, Inc.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #26

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe/'78 Trillium 1300
Arkansas
Registry
Curses! I thought I had started a new thread after the last of my futile searches.

Donna, thanks for the link. I'll call them and talk to someone after I take some good pictures. With other things, I've found that if I make contact with a live person, they are happy to give me an email address and wait for the pics to come in to add to the discussion.

I'll post the pics and label the problems IN A NEW THREAD when it stops raining.

Thanks!

Tags
trillium