New Propane installation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Minnesota
New Propane installation

I have a 13' Scamp that currently has no propane lines installed. I would like to install it myself but I am not sure where to go as I will have both low pressure (stove top) and high pressure (mr heater buddy) appliances that will run on the gas. I also need to drill a hole in the front fiberglass and run the line to somewhere under the sink area. I am planning to use a flexible rubber hose for this run and then tee off for the appliances. The first thing I need to know is how to run the line through the front wall and how to seal the hole around it. I found the following product that will seem to work but I thought I would see what others have done.

Sure Marine Service, Inc. * Since 1972 * Marine Heating, Air Conditioning, and Galley Equipment

Thanks in advance for any advice. And by the way, yes I have read all the comments in other forums about how I should not do this myself so please no more comments like that.
kev_ev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Don't drill into the fiberglass. Just drill a hole in the floor and have the gas line enter from there. Use a flex line at the tank connection.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #3

Registry
My propane lines have two T's
Attached Thumbnails
propane lines1.JPG  
Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
My propane lines have two T's
Kevin, do you also have a regulator between the tank and the distribution line?

KEV, the mr heater FAQ had a suggestion for the big buddy that may apply to you:
Quote:
question:
Can I hook my Big Buddy to my regulated propane source in my mobile home, or RV?

Answer:
If your propane source is regulated you can hook it to the unregulated quick coupler connection on the left hand side of the heater using our # F271802 hose and quick coupler connection.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #5

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Minnesota
Thank you both for the help. I will probably do the install with my father in-law (he is a plumber and will keep me from doing something supid) over the winter time but I thought I would get everything I need for now. I will try to post some pictures as I go along so others can have the reference.
kev_ev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #6

Registry
Regulator YES forgot to list it.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Cool

If that is the only place you are going to use that heater, just ake the regulator off off it and then hook it up to the low pressure line. That's what I did in my CJ. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The RVIA code requires black iron pipe(same as residential gas) underneath your camper. You will run a rubber hose from your regulator to the pipe where it exits in the front frame. You can then "T" underneath the black pipe for each appliance and run a copper tube, double flared at each end from the black iron pipe "T" to each appliance thru the floor.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane