New Rims - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2007, 01:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
I'm hoping to find some new rims (or hubcaps) for the Bigfoot to go with the ones on my truck which are a 4-spoke design.

Click image for larger version

Name:	05_frontier.wheel.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	9498

Has anyone seen anything like that that would work for a trailer tire, or does anyone have any suggestions for suppliers to try (preferably in Alberta or Canada)? The finish doesn't really matter to me.

Thanks
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The offset won't match... the trailer will likely have a more "dished" look, since the hub is set further in from the wheel face than on the truck. Other than that, a reasonable match in style (four large flattened round spokes) should be possible.

I don't think a wheel specifically intended for trailers is likely to found in this style, so I would think of it as a truck wheel buying exercise, specifying the appropriate bolt pattern, offset, and centre hole size.

The best supplier will depend on a lot on the available budget. For the right price, you can have anything...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Check the Crappy Tire Specialty catalog at the parts counter, they may have what you need as a special order (yet reasonable price).

OOORRRRR.... you could put in a call to O.C.C. and have Vinnie make you something special on the water jet table.

You could also check with places like KalTire to see what they have available.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Check the Crappy Tire Specialty catalog at the parts counter, they may have what you need as a special order (yet reasonable price).
Didn't even know they had that, thanks, I will check it out.

Should be less $$ than an O.C.C. custom made set
Old 08-16-2007, 06:23 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Lainey, you could also check out these guys in Edmonton.

http://www.hubcapscanada.com/index_2.htm
scott fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Lainey.....
Ricks tire shop has some very close looking trailer rims( I believe they are all zero offset)..... if you order be sure to get the matching lugs too.
Hope this helps.
Joe

this link is for trailer rims:
http://ricks-tire.com/index.php?cPath=35&a...b264e1acf684e00
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I once asked a guy at a junk yard about hubcaps for a trailer wheel and he told me that almost all auto hubcaps will not work because of the trailer hub.

The following site has mag type wheels for trailers.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...6970_124+771062
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:17 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Rick's and Northern Tool both look like decent sources. The wheels shown are mostly the common trailer alloys that are widely available, although the two chromed alloy wheels at Rick's and the 7-spoke design at Northern Tool are somewhat unusual finds. For something more closely matched to the truck wheels in appearance, I really think that rather than trailer-specific wheels, general custom wheels or truck-specific wheels are more likely.

The big centre hole needed for the protruding trailer hub is like a 4x4 truck front hub, so there's a good chance of a fit. Aftermarket wheels intended to fit many vehicles usually have big centre holes, and may be available with "centering rings" to fit them to the hub... for the trailer, you don't need the ring.

A local tire and wheel shop in Edmonton referred me to Canadian Wheel Industries for trailer alloys (their wholesale source), but their web site has no specific information and I have not called them yet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:40 PM   #9

Thanks everyone, those are some interesting sources I'll have to investigate them further.

Looks like it is going to be a challenge to find a 4-spoke design, but there are sure some slick looking 5-spoke wheels out there!