new running lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2006, 01:17 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
im getting ready to redo the turnsignal/brake lights and my ? is are the small marker lights mandated by law i cant find anything that say i have to have them on a trailer of this size and weight any help would be great

Dan
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Dan,
I suspect they exist as much for your benefit as that of others. Being able to see where the corners are makes it much easier for you to back at night. If one becomes inoperable, I miss it's existance in the fog or at night, & repair ends up becoming a priority. When you need 'em, you are mighty glad they are there.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
In the state where I live, if they are on the vehicle - they must work.

You should research the laws where you live.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Of course they are, somewhere. Otherwise they wouldn't have been installed since they do nothing to add to the glamour, streamlining or styling of the coach.

I'm surprised that they also haven't been mandated to be raised up to the level of brake lights, or at least above window height. They would be more visible and useful when driving on multi-lane highways at night.

I need to get to my Congressman on this. This is an important issue that should be debated and resolved at the national level. Perhaps a new Bureau of Clearance Lights could be set up to monitor and control the issue. This could also help pump up the economy, putting a major segment of the population at work raising clearance lights. Since money goes round-and-round it would help the doctors, dentists, bar tenders, grocery clerks, lawyers and police (and others I just haven't even thought of).

Tip -- When you go to purchase your new clearance lights, I would recommend you go to a trucking supply outfit. They are more apt to have the better quality lighting. Either get the ones that are flush with the outside of the trailer coach, or get the ones with metal guards. If you install these, you'll only install them once.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:12 AM   #5

Trailer: '74 Ventura
Red face

Here is a handy link:

http://www.redneck-trailer.com/2004/J/PagesJ-2-J-4.pdf

It help explains the lighting for trailers
ttmatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:25 AM   #6

thanks all
Old 05-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
im getting ready to redo the turnsignal/brake lights and my ? is are the small marker lights mandated by law i cant find anything that say i have to have them on a trailer of this size and weight any help would be great
Dan

I could be wrong, but I believe that "side marker" lights are required on [b]all vehicles. Your trailer is considered a vehicle.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
ttmatson has the answer and the web address should be saved in the documents section. Federal mandates.

A Great place to purchase lights on the cheep is www.jcw.com (J.C. Whitney)

Of course, truck supply places and truck stops have more than you'll ever need however their price may be higher than JCW.

Go LED because they last longer, are sealed and water will not effect them, they draw very little power.

Many people put clearance lights on their pick-up trucks and campers even though they are not required or needed. I think they do this to enhance the appearance.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:30 PM   #9

well i found my problem last owner butchered the harness it is a jungle under the seat so the first thing to do is figure out the wireing first then go from there.thanks for the help

dan
Old 05-02-2006, 08:10 AM   #10

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

When I started the rehab on my Love Bug, the wiring was totally screwed up. I would suggest getting rid of all of the old wiring and replace it with new. that way, you get rid of all of the lousy splices, crimped connections, and extra wire. I will not use crimped connections on anything. If you don't know how to solder, find someone that can teach you. Also use heat shrink tubing instead of electrical tape, it last longer and doesn't come unwrapped.

I replaced all of my lights with LEDs. They are brighter and should last much longer. I purchased mine through Southwest Trailer for about $55 including both brake/tail/plate lights, 2 amber markers, wire, and license plate holder.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Like Bob said, above use LED lights and shrink tubing over soldered connections. The LED lights are tougher, since there is no heated filament to break.

TIP -- Marine electricians often go one better with the shrink tubing. After soldering, but before sliding the shrink tubing over the connection, they wipe a good sized dab of silicone caulk over the connection. Then they slide the shrink tubing over the connection and shrink with heat. This way the silicone is compressed as the tubing shrinks and absolutely no air or water can get into the connection or under the insulation to the wiring.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tip #2

When you finish wiring them up, be sure you shove some putty in the holes for the wires and screws, or you may get a waterfall thru them during rain/washing etc.
My Burro did until I sealed them up.

You don't want to use silicone as you may have to replace a lamp now and again.
(After they somehow get mysteriously broken, which they do)
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...TIP -- Marine electricians often go one better with the shrink tubing. After soldering, but before sliding the shrink tubing over the connection, they wipe a good sized dab of silicone caulk over the connection. Then they slide the shrink tubing over the connection and shrink with heat. This way the silicone is compressed as the tubing shrinks and absolutely no air or water can get into the connection or under the insulation to the wiring.
This sounds like a good method to me. For the more convenient alternative, heat-shrinkable tubing with a sealant coating on the inside is now available, giving about the same effect.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:07 PM   #14

I agree with Loren that they're only there because there was some legal requirement for them, since they're certainly not there because of demand by buyers.

I think this is a great guide.

In my Boler's case, the [b]side marker lights are placed at the top, level with the clearance lights, which I think is not as effective as a mid-body height. Other B1700s have side marker reflectors mounted near the bottom of the body, while mine has none. I assume that both lights and reflectors (as described in the guide) are required in Canada, and I certainly think they are a good idea even if they're not required.

In addition to the reliability advantage of [b]LED lights, the lower current draw is good. It's not the energy that really matters - with clearance lights included, the total current draw may be too much for the isolator/converter in the tow vehicle with conventional incandescent bulbs.

Here is the Alberta legislation for side marker lights and reflectors (and some other stuff that is in the same section) extracted from ALBERTA REGULATION 322/2002, Traffic Safety Act, VEHICLE EQUIPMENT REGULATION:
Quote:
Division 5
Other Lamps
Side marker lamps
39(1) A motor vehicle or trailer must have the following:
( a ) one amber side marker lamp on each side and as close to the front, excluding a trailer tongue, as is practicable;
( b ) one red side marker lamp on each side and as close to the rear as is practicable;
( c ) if it is more than 9.2 metres long, one amber intermediate side marker lamp at or near the midpoint.
(2) The side marker lamp on a motor vehicle or a trailer must not be less than 400 millimetres above the ground when the motor vehicle or trailer is not loaded.
(3) Subsection (1)( a ) does not apply to a trailer that is less than 1.83 metres long, including the trailer tongue.
(4) Subsection (1)( b ) does not apply to a truck tractor.
(5) Subsection (1) does not apply to a motor vehicle or trailer that was manufactured before January 1, 1971.

Division 6
Reflectors
40(1) A motor vehicle or a trailer that is 760 millimetres or more wide, including its load, must have the following permanently mounted on the vertical centre and on a rigid part, other than glazing:
( a ) one amber reflector on each side and as close to the front, excluding the trailer tongue, as is practicable;
( b ) one red reflector on each side and as close to the rear as is practicable; ( c ) if it is more than 9.2 metres long, one amber reflector on each side at or near the midpoint.
(2) A motor vehicle or a trailer that is less than 760 millimetres wide, including its load, must have
( a ) one red reflector on the rear that is permanently mounted on the vertical centre line and on a rigid part, other than glazing, or
( b ) one red reflector on each side of the rear permanently mounted at the same height above the ground and on a rigid part, other than glazing.
(3) A motor vehicle or a trailer that is 760 millimetres or more wide, including its load, must have one red reflector on each side of the rear permanently mounted at the same height above the ground and on a rigid part, other than glazing.
(4) The reflectors on a motor vehicle or trailer must comply with the following:
( a ) the distance between the centre of the reflector and ground level must be not less than 400 millimetres or more than 1.6 metres when the vehicle is not loaded;
( b ) they must be visible from 150 metres at night time if the high beam of an approaching motor vehicle shines on them.
(5) Subsection (1)( a ) does not apply to a trailer that is less than 1.8 metres long, including the trailer tongue.
(6) Despite subsection (4), the reflectors on a truck tractor may be mounted on the back of the cab not less than 100 millimetres above the top of the rear tires or more than 1.6 metres above ground level when the truck tractor is not loaded.
(7) Subsection (1)( b ) does not apply to a truck tractor.
I added the enlarged text for emphasis.

Of course, these are Alberta rules, but my guess is that they just echo federal requirements for new vehicles (in Canada, it seems that provinces regulate what can operate on the road, with the federal government regulates what can be manufactured and sold), and it is an example of current requirements.

Even if my side marker lights also qualify as reflectors, my Boler violates 40(4)(a) (the maximum height requirement), and now I think I'll add front and rear side reflectors.

My B1700 also has [b]clearance and rear ID lights (sections 6 and 7 of the guide), and a 1970's Alberta government vehicle lighting regulations pamphlet that came with the Boler shows their requirement, but current trailers in the RV dealers' showrooms which are clearly more than 2032 mm (80") wide do not have them. Another section (48) of that Alberta regulation clearly requires them (just the way they are installed on my Boler), so now I have to take another look at those new trailers...
Old 05-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 1980 Boler 17 ft
Quote:
I agree with Loren that they're only there because there was some legal requirement for them, since they're certainly not there because of demand by buyers.
I think this is a great guide.

In my Boler's case, the [b]side marker lights are placed at the top, level with the clearance lights, which I think is not as effective as a mid-body height. Other B1700s have side marker reflectors mounted near the bottom of the body, while mine has none. I assume that both lights and reflectors (as described in the guide) are required in Canada, and I certainly think they are a good idea even if they're not required.

In addition to the reliability advantage of [b]LED lights, the lower current draw is good. It's not the energy that really matters - with clearance lights included, the total current draw may be too much for the isolator/converter in the tow vehicle with conventional incandescent bulbs.

Here is the Alberta legislation for side marker lights and reflectors (and some other stuff that is in the same section) extracted from ALBERTA REGULATION 322/2002, Traffic Safety Act, VEHICLE EQUIPMENT REGULATION:

I added the enlarged text for emphasis.

Of course, these are Alberta rules, but my guess is that they just echo federal requirements for new vehicles (in Canada, it seems that provinces regulate what can operate on the road, with the federal government regulates what can be manufactured and sold), and it is an example of current requirements.

Even if my side marker lights also qualify as reflectors, my Boler violates 40(4)(a) (the maximum height requirement), and now I think I'll add front and rear side reflectors.

My B1700 also has [b]clearance and rear ID lights (sections 6 and 7 of the guide), and a 1970's Alberta government vehicle lighting regulations pamphlet that came with the Boler shows their requirement, but current trailers in the RV dealers' showrooms which are clearly more than 2032 mm (80") wide do not have them. Another section (48) of that Alberta regulation clearly requires them (just the way they are installed on my Boler), so now I have to take another look at those new trailers...
Lloyd Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 1980 Boler 17 ft
Hi brian, I changed all the clearance, brake lights on my B1700.When removing the upper clearance lights I found they had drilled 5/8 diam. holes in the shell to pass/connect the light wiring easy wire fishing and even better water access with the missing and hardened putty seal. Replaced the sun faded lower side reflectors .I also added lower side modified clearance lights two bulb style to give running / turning combined . Metal guards on lower side lights added. I believe lower side clearance lights are required on the Bolers as it is quite dark on the sides without them. See and be seen , no egg cracking required.
Lloyd Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 13 ft
I just purchased LED lights for my 1981 Trillium, tail lights, and turn signals,cause the other drivers were having a hard time seeing the old ones in the daylight. I think it is the way to go. I got them from a Marine trailer supply place in florida.They are distributed by a company called SEASENSE trailer accessories, You can find them at WWW.SEASENSE.COM..........
John W Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #18

well all new lights and wireing is going in on saturday (LED) will be fun since the camper has a inclosed belly pan so it will be fun running it in a safe place..
Old 05-04-2006, 05:48 AM   #19

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
According the specs listed on the web site, Casitas are 80” in overall width. Wouldn’t they require clearance lights to be in compliance. Am I missing an exception to the rule?
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:04 PM   #20

Since even the classic narrow-body eggs are right at the 80" width, and wider-bodied units like virtually everything made today are clearly over this limit, it seems like they should all have clearance (front and rear) and rear ID lights (the ID lights are that set of three in the middle at the top). I, too, am puzzled by why some trailers don't have them, since neither the guide to US Federal regulations at Redneck nor the Alberta rules have any exemption.

The Canadian rules are expressed in metric terms, with the Alberta rule being approximately 80" (2.05 m, or 80.7"), and the federal rule being 2 m (78.74"), so that part seems quite consistent.

Maybe Craig and I are both missing something? Perhaps the 80" width was chosen long ago specifically to just barely avoid the requirement for clearance lights, although that would not explain the wider (stick-built) trailers I've seen without them.

Tags
lighting, lights