New Scamp 13' water/power questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Ric

Name: Rick
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
New Scamp 13' water/power questions

so we're getting our new Scamp 13' soon...we're starting to purchase accessories and want to keep all the "stuff" to a minimum ...factory says the water pressure is regulated by the rig as it enters so no need for a regulator at the campground faucet..any thoughts on this?
also, would a voltage/surge regulator be a prudent expense? which one is the simplest that will do the job?
thanks!
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
also, would a voltage/surge regulator be a prudent expense? which one is the simplest that will do the job?
thanks!
Are there any electrical components that you are specifically worried about?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Ric

Name: Rick
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
voltage/surge regulator?

"Are there any electrical components that you are specifically worried about?"

forgot to mention we're newbies so we worry about everything
we have just the basic set up if that helps
Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You can buy a surge protector, but if you are trying to minimize extra stuff, I'd forgo it.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
now I'm going to have to check out our Scamp for a pressure regulator.. I always hook an external one up.. not like Scamp to spend extra money
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Year 12 of our travels.

We don't use an electrical surge protector and have never had a problem. We do unplug our laptops during lightening storms if we're in the rig. Other electrical components, fridge, water heater and convertor seem to be very forgiving of electrical surges and brownouts.

The item that would most dislike low voltage is the air conditioner. We only use our's a few days a year and hence is no problem.

Small surge protectors can be purchased for individual items like the TV or computer.

We do carry a water pressure regulator and rarely use it. Usually low pressure is more of an issue than high pressure. I don't believe Scamp installs a pressure regulator.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
I had my 2005 13' Scamp DeLux for 8 years. I never had a pressure regulator.

Ron
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMayo View Post
I had my 2005 13' Scamp DeLux for 8 years. I never had a pressure regulator.

Ron
Me neither Ron, Unless they have changed recently(not likely) they install a shore water outlet with a check valve like most trailers have.That is the part still offered in their parts list.
I recommend a brass pressure regulator and a filter, both available at Walmart.
I recently installed a shore water inlet with a built-in regulator on Eggy-Sue, but only because I had it in stock and the stock check valve failed.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #9

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Dumb question...why would you ever need one? Do some use weak hoses or something?

Just curious, I have no manual or anything for mine, and I'm rebuilding the system with pex, so it'll take full line pressure. The old hoses seem to me they would have no problem with full line pressure (at least 28 years ago).
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Pressure regulators... why wouldn't you use something that costs about $10, is only about 4"x1" and protects the water lines in your trailer? It requires no tools or electricity to use. Typically never breaks or wears out either. All it takes is one time to cause all kinds of plumbing problems. Just that one time may cost you headaches and expense. There are other items to skip, this isn't one of them IMHO.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #11

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok heres what we did with ours less then a year old right now.
get a presure regulater,,they are cheap, and you never know what your hooking up to. thats the same reason i use an in line filter on my hose,,now telling what has crawled in the spigot.
so when i hook up my hose its pressure regulator, filter, drinking water hose. the regulater and filter stay together for storage,,,i also have hose end caps to keep bugs from crawling in the filter and hose when not in use. i started doing this after getting out my garden hose one spring and little water would go threw because something had built a nest in the hose.
as to electronics,, i carry a small surge protector for use with our laptop. which is also used for playing dvds rather then having a television. otherwise the protection built into the converter should be enough.
have fun with your new scamp,, you will find yourself eagerly seeking out places to go, just to spend more time with it.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #12

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Dumb question...why would you ever need one? Do some use weak hoses or something?

Just curious, I have no manual or anything for mine, and I'm rebuilding the system with pex, so it'll take full line pressure. The old hoses seem to me they would have no problem with full line pressure (at least 28 years ago).
jared, some campgrounds are not so well engineered and their well produce way too much pressure for an rv's plumbing system.
you may never run into a problem,,, but for $10,,, to prevent 50 or 100 gallons of water in your scamp? why not?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #13

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
So all you need to do is attach the pressure reducer to your hose and leave it there. It'll be on the female end and attached first to whatever hose bib you connect your water line to.

A pressure reducer or regulator, which ever you choose to call it, is cheap insurance because you never know when you'll be attaching to a water system that has way too much pressure. Think about it...some of us pay lots of bucks to insure our toys so why not a $10 forever insurance policy.

I happen to have mine attached to a water splitter then the Scamp water hose. That gives me campground water without having to detach the Scamp hose. I have used the second hose for washing the Scamp, the dog and just to have for whatever. I also have a water nozzle that is for the second hose.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #14

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
So all you need to do is attach the pressure reducer to your hose and leave it there. It'll be on the female end and attached first to whatever hose bib you connect your water line to.

A pressure reducer or regulator, which ever you choose to call it, is cheap insurance because you never know when you'll be attaching to a water system that has way too much pressure. Think about it...some of us pay lots of bucks to insure our toys so why not a $10 forever insurance policy.

I happen to have mine attached to a water splitter then the Scamp water hose. That gives me campground water without having to detach the Scamp hose. I have used the second hose for washing the Scamp, the dog and just to have for whatever. I also have a water nozzle that is for the second hose.
that Y shaped splitter with on off is another dandy cheap and small item along with a short,say 6ft hose is very handy for cleanup.
a couple other things that do not come with your scamp that you will want to have.
a cap for your drain cleanout that has a hose connector on it. many camp grounds have grey water only drains and this cap with a short hose allows you to not have to fuss with draining your tank. also most places that use the sewer drain hose want you to have a connector that holds the drain hose in place so it won't have spills. this is inexpensive and can be gotten at any rv center.
then you get a small transistor radio, a tall cold glass of iced tea,,, and relax.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
a cap for your drain cleanout that has a hose connector on it. many camp grounds have grey water only drains and this cap with a short hose allows you to not have to fuss with draining your tank. also most places that use the sewer drain hose want you to have a connector that holds the drain hose in place so it won't have spills. this is inexpensive and can be gotten at any rv center.
then you get a small transistor radio, a tall cold glass of iced tea,,, and relax.
As for the drain cap, yes one with a hose connector and also has a handle. So much easier to put on.

Oh....I'd opt fot a Beer
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp