New Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I don't know the source of your bumper, but the rating on the Reese hitch is usually for the hitch itself, not for the vehicle on which it is installed. Heavy duty factory & after market bumpers also suffer from the same issue, ratings are based on the strength of the bumper, not it's mounting. Bumper hitches are usually to high for towing FGRV's anyway.

The sticker on the factory installed hitch on my Blazer sez 6000 lbs, but the maximum for any 2003, 2 dr, Blazer is 5700 lbs., some are as low as 2000 lbs. but they all get the same hitch.

Again, back to the owners manual.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I pull a fully-loaded 13' Scamp (apx 1800 lbs loaded for travel). My TV is a 1999 Nissan Frontier with a 4cyl Manual tranny. I pull on the bumper! The nose is slightly high...maybe 2-3 degrees? I do not, have not, will not use a sway bar. With the round curves of the 13' and as short as it is, IF you get sway then you have a problem with the tongue/hitch weight which should be 10-15% of your total weight. My tongue weight is (or was before removing the propane tank) 225 lbs or apx 13%. With the propane removed, I still have never had any sway with my small truck.
Although appropriate tongue weight is one of the components of getting a solid tow its not the only one. In my experience no two vehicle and trailer combos are going to work out the same as far as the feel of the tow goes - unless they are identical in all ways.

As Bob suggests bumper pull tow ratings are often much lower than those of a regular hitch. I know on my Frontier V6 it is for sure. Even if it was rated for my trailer, I wouldn't use it as its far to high for the trailer - in my experence another component of a solid tow is the trailer needs to be level or slightly down on the tongue.

Nothing wrong with using a sway bar as another piece of added insurance in the event of a one off sudden manoeuvre, lots of people here use them and would not consider not having one on their trailer. Thats assuming one has taken the time to get their set up correct & stable under normal towing conditions and the sway bar isn't whats keeping the trailer from wagging about on a daily bases.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:36 PM   #17

Name: Terry
Trailer: Scamp 13
Illinois
I think I agree with Carol that a sway bar is cheep - free in my case - insurance. Once I have towed both with and without I will let the forum know the results. Thanks again for all of the input and it is nice to know that Scamps are easy to tow regardless of the towing configuration.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #18

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Carol...the V6 Frontiers sit higher than my 4-cyl Frontier (larger wheels/tires). If mine was a V6, I too would have to use a receiver hitch so I could drop the ball.

Regardless what's said, in my opinion and from my nearly 6000 miles of pulling the 13' Scamp, a swaybar for the 13' Scamps is just dead weight added to the tongue....provided the tongue weight of the trailer stays where suggested- 10-15%. I'd be MUCH more concerned about tire pressures, keeping the diff. oil, motor oil, tranny oil, brakes, etc properly maintained.

Anyway, as Bob stated, I went out and checked the factory bumper on my '99 Frontier. It states right on top- "Check the Owner's Manual". The owner's manual on my truck states, "Special hitches which include frame reinforcements are required for towing above 2,000 lb (907 kg)." I did not see the capacity stamped anywhere on the bumper....just the statement above.

For what it's worth, there's a couple of other points mentioned in my manual I think is of interest but probably heavily debatable-especially among different states. Here's the two points of interest quoted directly out of my manual:

*1: All towing above 1000 lb (454 kg) requires the use of trailer brakes. NISSAN recommends the use of a tandem axle trailer whenever towing above 3,000 lb (1,361 kg).
*2: A sway control device is recommended for all towing above 2,000 lb (907 kg). Sway control devices are not offered by NISSAN...yada yada.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Hmmmm... I don't see anything debatable:

In point #1, it's just Nissan making a statement about the capacity of the brakes on the TV. Allowing a state law to lull someone into thinking that they have enough brakes for towing borders on the foolish when the manufacturer sets a lower limit.

And, whereas point #1 uses the word "Requires", point #2 is a "Recommendation" and gives the owner an option.

But I like the statement made in the owners manual about capacity, but manuals get lost/ignored, so the earlier practice of stamping it in the bumper is also nice.

But then again there is the problem with "Hitch/Bumper Capacities" not being the same as the TV to which it is attached, but that's yet another issue.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Darrel, what your manual has stated is pretty well what was being suggested. The bumper hitch is normally rated to pull at a much lower capacity than the vehicles stated towing capacity. In the case of my own truck the difference between the bumper hitch and the standard hitch, is that the bumper hitch is rated at about 3000lbs less.

I don't believe that the brakes required on trailers over 1000lbs is actually debatable by state as you suggest, as it has nothing to do with the state (although many states actually do have a legal requirement in regards to brakes on trailers over x so many pounds). Its the vehicle manufactures "requirement". That requirement is found on many vehicle towing specifications these days and its what the vehicle manufacture says is necessary to provide a safe tow. Not something one can debate based on where they live.

Again these items are just a couple of the many different components that go into the making of a good safe solid tow, just as you rightly point out making sure the tire pressure is correct and that the vehicle is well maintained also go into it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #21

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
new Scamp congratulations

I know you will be happy with your Scamp 13. I travel in a Scamp 13 and am very satisfied with it, in fact it is my second Scamp 13. Got caught in a snow storm, east of Reno, NV one time and followed a large truck for miles in his footprint and had a good trip. Have pulled my Scamp with a Nissan Frontier, 4-wheel drive and am very satisfied with both units. Happy trails with your new Scamp 13.

Tags
scamp