New Scamp Owner! Looking for Paint and Heater help!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #1

Name: Amy
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
New Scamp Owner! Looking for Paint and Heater help!!

Hi all,

We just purchased our first Scamp! It's a 16' 1983 model. We are having issues with the heater (pretty sure it's original) and have questions about paint. What kind of paint should we use for the inside? The heater worked once and is now not operating. Do you use the propane heater in your campers or a portable one? Thanks
bellamehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #2

Pennsylvania
Any suggestions on paint?
Old 09-03-2016, 10:14 AM   #3

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Scrub clean prime with Bullet 123 or Zizzer with mildewcide and paint with a good latex with bug and mold killer too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The furnace heater can be tricky. Is it located under the side dinette seat?
Where is the thermostat? Does it try to start, but then shuts off?
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:17 PM   #5

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
interior paint

I'm not real sure what an 83 Scamp interior is like but I'm guessing it's much like our 97. The interior cabinets are fiberglass with a white jell coat. The partition wall interior for the bath and the inside of the hanging closet had yellowed. I painted the partitions with Interlux perfection which is a high dollar, 2 part and self leveling marine paint. It runs about $65 a quart but is the next best thing to jell-coat.
If your cabinet gel coat is not cracked or damaged, you can just buff it out with a buffing compound for fiberglass. Maguire and a few others offer kits to remove oxidation and renew fiberglass jell coat. You might want to renew your outer fiberglass skin as the 3 bottle kit would probably do both the cabinets and the outer skin.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamehler View Post
Hi all,
Do you use the propane heater in your campers or a portable one? Thanks
We primarily use a little electric one; Lasko ceramic heater with adjustable thermostat, model 754200. It runs 900 watts on low and 1,500 watts on high.

I do keep checking the propane one by operating it periodically for a few minutes so it will (should!) work when we don't have 120V power available.

However, so far, we’ve not actually used it for keeping warm. It's quite noisy.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:17 AM   #7

Pennsylvania
Thank you!! The heater worked once..then stopped. The light wouldn't ignite. We tried it a few days later and it kicked on. I just don't want to get stuck somewhere without heat! We will probably use a portable heater as well.

The paint..I appreciate your answers. There are conflicting opinions on paint. I am going to grab the Zizzer today. That is exactly how our fiberglass is..yellow and dis colored. I want to paint it..hubby does not. So we will see

Tags
paint, scamp